SASS Wire Forum

Cooper’s Hawk In Action

Yul Lose

My wife usually fills her 2 bird feeders every morning but she commented the other day that she’s only had to fill them every other day and that there’s not as many bids and she’s finding feathers around the base of the feeders and on the patio. Well this morning I was on the phone with a pard and watching the bird feeders and a Cooper’s Hawk dove down and in a  puff of feathers took off with a house finch. I watched a Cooper’s Hawk sitting on a sycamore branch this afternoon watching the feeders and thought he might try again but he never did. Pretty cool.

Cooper’s hawks remind me of jet fighters, got to see one take down a mourning dove last bow season in an explosion of feathers , the dove never knew what hit him.

25 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Cooper’s hawks remind me of jet fighters, got to see one take down a mourning dove last bow season in an explosion of feathers , the dove never knew what hit him.

That was my first thought too when it happened. It was just a blur and it was gone. The word must have got out because the number of birds at the feeders is significantly less.

I have trouble telling the difference between a Sharp-Shin and a Cooper's Hawk.  How do you do it?

One or the other visits our neighborhood occasionally.  The jet fighter analogy is perfect; it's breathtaking to watch it twist and bank and turn as it flies through the oak tree limbs.

We have a pair of Coopers hawks living on our place as well. You can always tell when they are near the patio because our two feeders (which are usually full of small birds) will suddenly be empty and the small birds will be hiding amongst the branches, leaves and vines surrounding our patio. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

31 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I have trouble telling the difference between a Sharp-Shin and a Cooper's Hawk.  How do you do it?

One or the other visits our neighborhood occasionally.  The jet fighter analogy is perfect; it's breathtaking to watch it twist and bank and turn as it flies through the oak tree limbs.

From what I’ve been told and read the Cooper’s Hawk is larger with a whiter breast and larger head. 

Speaking of birds…..

our bald eagles have babies!!!

We think there are two but they have built their nest so tall and deep this year that getting pictures and an accurate count will be difficult. Right now you can see the adults heads bobbing up and down as they feed their offspring. Hopefully later this year we can get some pictures when the new birds start hanging out on nearby branches. 
Regards

Gateway Kid

4 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

We have a pair of Coopers hawks living on our place as well. You can always tell when they are near the patio because our two feeders (which are usually full of small birds) will suddenly be empty and the small birds will be hiding amongst the branches, leaves and vines surrounding our patio. 
Regards

Gateway Kid

The bird population at the feeders has dropped a lot over the last week or so. Usually I’ll sit and watch the feeders and there will be 30-40 birds vying for a spot on the feeders and this morning I saw 2 or 3 and they were on and off the feeders and back into the tree cover in a hurry. The ground feeders like the spotted Towhees and doves don’t seem to be scared and neither do the scrub jays.

They seem to like to feed on my fence after checking menus....

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

We've got a Goss hawk occasionally here that like to snag doves out of the air! All ya see is a blur and a cloud of feathers. And as above, all the Chickadees, Sparrows and Juncos disappear for a while. When eagles or red tails are around the squirrels and chipmunks leave!!

8 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I think it rather kind and considerate Yul has provided a steady supply of fresh food for the Coopers Hawks.  We should do more of that for our fine feathered friends.

If only I could get my Coopers interested in the tree rats.....balance of nature.

LL

2 hours ago, Kid Sopris, SASS Regulator said:

They seem to like to feed on my fence after checking menus....

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

That sure looks like the one hanging out here.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

That sure looks like the one hanging out here.

Probably a result of incest. You know how rabbits and birds are.   

i wish i might see one of these here , im on a river so i get mostly bald eagles and osprey here , ive had a red tailed once out back in 32 years that im aware of , and exactly one shrike out front , otherwise the pair of great horned owls dominate when they pass through , 

Archived