SASS Wire Forum

S & W ar-15-22 pistol stock removal

Trigger Mike

I found on the ATF website that this is on their list so I want to make it legal so if I understand the new rule correctly I can remove the arm brace stock and just leave the remaining tube and it is a pistol again.  I keep looking for directions on how to remove it but find things from 2014 or about removing a california stock pin.  How do I remove the arm brace?

IF it is the SB3 brace , the Adj pin can be over pulled and it will slide off the tube 

that said the tube is not required for operation , as it is a blowback action , contained in the bolt housing 

I am not going to say that is enough to get by , as it is readly restorable , if they find the other piece , that you removed 

Chickasaw Bill 

thinking this was coming , that is the reason , I do NOT , nor have , I ever owned an AR pistol 

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

IF it is the SB3 brace , the Adj pin can be over pulled and it will slide off the tube 

that said the tube is not required for operation , as it is a blowback action , contained in the bolt housing 

I am not going to say that is enough to get by , as it is readly restorable , if they find the other piece , that you removed 

Chickasaw Bill 

thinking this was coming , that is the reason , I do NOT , nor have , I ever owned an AR pistol 

Yes, the local shop has been selling a lot of bare tubes that don’t have the holes so it isn’t “readily restorable” to slide the arm clamp on.

trigger mike

you wrote you were depressing the lever (u are sposed to do the opposite).

stop slamming it and pull the lever & pin down and away from the extension

I made you this picture

stockremoval.jpeg

Instead of pressing the stock adjustment lever, lift up on the whole lever, which will allow the locking pin to lift higher.  The adjustment locking pin will then clear the end of the tube.  The sawzall also works as a last resort.

58 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Not yet.  I tried everything but cutting it with a saw.  Since I have until may 31 I decided to switch the barrel.  

Let do some checking  Do some checking on that one for you  , Because well I dont trust the feds on this one  , 

On 3/24/2023 at 6:14 PM, Trigger Mike said:

My tube is molded on and I slam and slam the brace with the lever depressed but it doesn’t move past the end.  I guess plan b is to try and get a barrel length upper receiver and barrel.  

Sounds like it would be easier to fill out form.  Then send it to the ATF with two fingerprint cards.  That won't work if like CA you can't own a NFA item.  That is what I would do and wait till just before the the 120 day period expires to mail to the ATF.  The reason is because it is highly likely that the ATF will be enjoined from enforcing the rule before the 120 days are up.  Eventually it will be permanently bounced.

2 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Sounds like it would be easier to fill out form.  Then send it to the ATF with two fingerprint cards.  That won't work if like CA you can't own a NFA item.  That is what I would do and wait till just before the the 120 day period expires to mail to the ATF.  The reason is because it is highly likely that the ATF will be enjoined from enforcing the rule before the 120 days are up.  Eventually it will be permanently bounced.

Or after 88 days of being submitted it become a Auto DENY , there fore the ATF can and they have already stated they will come door knocking 

post pics, which SB model BRACE is it?  what other ARs do you own?  does your m&p look like this?

20FFBEDA-D754-4206-8BCB-1DFE020305D6.jpeg

Powder River, he doesn’t have that roll pin.  If he did, it would prevent all movement (locking his BRACE in the fully open position).

The SBR tax stamp is free for the next couple of months.  After that, it goes back to the regular $200.  Of course, once you get the NFA tax stamp for the SBR, you can put a regular stock on it and a forward grip and make it REALLY dangerous.  

I know the AR 22 is different than an AR.  It doesn’t matter cause the SB brace is the same between them.

Mike, you’re pulling down the same end of the lever that you adjust from.  

To remove or install, you’re supposed to pull down at the pin.

Almost everyone commenting is telling you the way to remove the brace, but somehow you aren’t getting it.  I’ve 3 SB braces here and can remove and replace them in seconds.

ED0E4223-FEB1-47BA-B5CF-2708D57E13AA.jpeg

Grab it at the X and pull in the direction of the arrow.

EA59AE3C-06B8-4AE6-A608-38A338ABCE82.jpeg

Edited to add:

I’m glad you got it, Trigger Mike.

I’m poor at following written instructions… kinda why I posted a video plus images.

You also have to destroy said brace. If they come to your abode and you have the gun and even if the brace is removed they will charge you with " constructive possession". Meaning you have all the parts for a now illegal firearm, and can re-assemble it at any time.

Break it in pieces and keep the pieces to show them.

or, you can put the brace onto a rifle… maybe wrap some parachord around your stock extension… so a brace or stock can’t easily be slid into place.

This’ll be Wolfy’s plan in May.

5244788D-AC9A-441E-A6E8-D38010E1BEF7.jpeg

I’m keeping an eye on the courts as well, brother

regardless of the BATFE nonsense, I wish my M&P 22 pistol was more like yours…

0709BEB0-AF48-4AAA-A907-FEF8B1C5942F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

You also have to destroy said brace. If they come to your abode and you have the gun and even if the brace is removed they will charge you with " constructive possession". Meaning you have all the parts for a now illegal firearm, and can re-assemble it at any time.

Break it in pieces and keep the pieces to show them.

Or give it to a friend that doesn't have the buffer tube it fits.  Owning the brace is not illegal, possessing it on the same property as the pistol makes it intent to build.

Archived