SASS Wire Forum

Mysterious Stranger arrives

Mysterious Stranger

Well, it's official! "Postal Inspector", who was in CAS previously, from about late 1990s to 2008, is officially back, but as "Mysterious Stranger":

MysteriousStranger-widercoat-1.thumb.jpeg.dbcaee9feceee719efb2a4a623d19ef8.jpeg

There's a story about this:

I was a contract IT Project Manager contractor for many years. My longest "temporary assignment" was working for Northrop Grumman on assignment at United States Postal Service (USPS). For SEVEN YEARS! (They liked the projects I proposed and managed for them). 

During my time there, I learned about USPS "Postal Inspectors", and learned that they were FORMIDABLE lawmen who never stopped looking for anyone who robbed the mail or otherwise messed with USPS. In fact, in the movie "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid", Butch and Sundance asked, incredulously, "Who ARE those guys", when they were chased so PERSISTENTLY by the posse of Postal Inspectors! That question is asked in the movie because in real life, that posse WAS a posse of Postal Inspectors NOT a sheriff's or Marshall's posse!

In modern times, the Postal Inspector's persistence, reputation, and seriousness remain very strong. In fact, while I was working at USPS on that assignment, FOUR of them showed up one day, armed, looking VERY serious, and detained the departmental timekeeper, because he had apparently been clocking in on Saturdays for overtime pay, going out with his girlfriend to dine and shop, and then returning to USPS to punch out. He also drove one year old Cadillacs all the time on a gross annual salary that was about 100% of what a Cadillac Eldorado cost at the time. The Inspectors nailed him! He had forgotten that with the new electronic badge door system, his arrivals and departures were independently recorded and the Inspectors noticed a discrepancy.

I figured that given my 7 year stay at Postal, I should honour the inspectors by using that alias.

However, I now live in Canada, where "Postal Inspectors" at Canada Post are more like auditor-detectives to detect and stop postal fraud, etc, which is being more like an accountant than a detective and law enforcer, as we westerners see it. So I elected this new alias that better fits my new SASS persona. Maria at The SASS Hideout (National HQ) made sure "Mysterious Stranger" was still available, amd actually found my old Postal Inspector alias, so I was able to "renew" with the new Alias and at the renewal versus new membership fee. i also got to keep my original SASS badge number!

SASS has changed some since I last played in "The Spirit of the Game". The shooters in the videos look a lot faster now than they 1 5 years ago, but maybe that is just me getting slower! And the number of specific categories a guy or gal can shoot in seems to have grown a lot! Heck, with my current age, I can apparently be an "Elder Statesman" or 4 other age categories, on TOP of any other "subdivisions" based on shooting style, type of firearms, etc. I may need a cure card at matches to remind me where in the matrix I am shooting that day, so I know what to say at registration!

I really enjoy the different categories, the costuming, the celebration of Old West behaviour and values, the humour built into every stage and scenario, the different combinations of speed and accuracy in different stages, the historical references, the CAS versus normal handloading, and the unique flavour of fun that this strange brew creates.

Glad to be back. :)

Mysterious Stranger

(Previously posting recently as Jim Gnitecki - trying to figure out how to change my "Display Name"))

2 minutes ago, Jim Gnitecki said:

Mysterious Stranger

(Previously posting recently as Jim Gnitecki - trying to figure out how to change my "Display Name"))

Report your thread via the 3 dots at the top and ask the moderator to change it for you. They do a great job helping us out.

The only way to get away from the "posse of Postal Inspectors"

Butch Cassidy:
Then you jump first.

Sundance Kid:
No, I said.

Butch Cassidy:
What's the matter with you?

Sundance Kid:
I can't swim.

Butch Cassidy:
Why you crazy, the fall will probably kill you.

Your story puts me in mind of the Tales of Wells Fargo.....relentless stage coach line detective.

Kajun

21 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Your story puts me in mind of the Tales of Wells Fargo.....relentless stage coach line detective.

The Pinkertons or the Pinkerton Detective Agency.

Interesting Fact, The Pinkerton were banned in Ohio because they had gotten bigger than the US Army and people became fearful that they could be hired as a private mercenary army.

Archived