SASS Wire Forum

In the still of the night

Utah Bob #35998

2:15am. I awoke. Laid there for a couple of minutes before realizing why I awoke. It was quiet. Too quiet. The white noise machine wasn’t on. No sound but the occasional creak, tick and crack of the house. The house cooling off. Because the power was out!

After about 5 minutes of debating with myself I got out of bed, layered up. Got a flashlight and went to check the breaker box. All okay there. Then to the west window. I can see the neighbors barn light down the road from there. It wasn’t on. 

Called the power company to talk to the computer. It told me that:
Our.   System.    Indicates.   An outage.   In.  Your  area.  This.    Outage.    Affects.   Two.  Hundred.  And.  Thirty.  Seven.   Customers. Our.   Crews.   Have.  Been.  Dispatched.  But.   There.   Is.  No. Estimated.  Time.   Of.   Power.  Restoration.

Well thank you computer lady voice.  
I lit a fire. Got the oil lamps distributed and debated going back to bed. I started thinking about breakfast. Probably because the PB&J sammich I had was a pretty light dinner. Then I remembered that I was supposed to haul some firewood up from the shed yesterday. But I didn’t. Rats! 20° outside. 50 yards down to the woodshed. Probably mountain lions, bears and wolves between me and the wood. I found that the coffee was still hot in the thermos so I had a cup. I sat down in the recliner hoping the power would come back on, but it’s a power Lazyboy and wouldn’t recline dang it.
Then with a sigh I put on 2 more layers and my boots, headed for the door and… the power came back on.

Now it’s 3:30. I have this inflatable solar camping light that I hung in the bathroom. I pushed the off button and it cycles through 3 brightness levels and one emergency level where it flashes:
3 short flashes
3 long flashes
3 short flashes

SOS

“Good idea”, I says to myself.
 So I made some. Yum. 
All’s well that ends well.

10:30 EDIT: I must admit that my initial motivation for getting out of bed was that lyric from My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys. You know the one. (No not the one about hookers) :rolleyes:

Glad it worked out for you. You had to get up anyway. I did too. LoL. 

How much wood have you brought in? 

No power where I'm going unless I start the generator. Won't need it this weekend cause the water is drained. I'll burn through propane like it's free though. 

On 3/24/2023 at 7:42 PM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I couldn’t find a distinct lyrics that applied, but still a favorite.

You can die from the cold in the arms of a nightmare 

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:
On 3/24/2023 at 9:42 PM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

You can die from the cold in the arms of a nightmare 

Sounds like a line from a movie.

Like “In space, no one can hear you scream”. :lol:

Archived