SASS Wire Forum

Agnodice, the first Greek female doctor

In ancient Greece, women were forbidden to study medicine for several years until someone broke the law.

Born in 300 BCE, Agnodice cut her hair and entered

Alexandria medical school dressed as a man. While walking the streets of Athens after completing her medical education, she heard the cries of a woman in labour.

However, the woman did not want Agnodice to touch her although she was in severe pain, because she thought Agnodice was a man. Agnodice proved that she was a woman by removing her clothes without anyone seeing and helped the woman deliver her baby.

The story would soon spread among the women and all the women who were sick began to go to Agnodice. The male doctors grew envious and accused Agnodice, whom they thought was male, of seducing female patients. At her trial, Agnodice, stood before the court and proved that she was a woman but this time, she was sentenced to death for studying medicine and practicing medicine as a woman.

Women revolted at the sentence, especially the wives of the judges who had given the death penalty. Some said that if Agnodice was killed, they would go to their deaths with her. Unable to withstand the pressures of their wives and other women, the judges lifted Agnodice's sentence, and from then on, women were allowed to practice medicine, provided they only looked after women.

Thus, Agnodice made her mark in history as the first Greek female doctor, physician and gynecologist. This plaque depicting Agnodice at work was excavated at Ostia, Italy.

Source: Science Explorist

main-qimg-32eb6ac6e24d6f5b23d6b155fdef89dc

I prefer female Doctors. To me, in my experience, they are more apt to actually listen to what I have to say, they have a more caring manner and most of all, they tend not to be ego driven. 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I prefer female Doctors. To me, in my experience, they are more apt to actually listen to what I have to say, they have a more caring manner and most of all, they tend not to be ego driven. 

I agree.

My Last male doctor was Dr. Rex Reno on Upland, Ca.  That was almost 20 years ago.  The VA had the wonderful Dr. Serabin in Rancho Cicamonga, who referred me to others, but she was always the MD of record.  After we moved up here I've only had one doctor and 4 nurse practitioners /RNs (I don't know the difference and a whole battery of other nurses helping out.  If I NEED doctor, like for instance the man who gave me magic implanted pace maker almost three years ago, they find one, but they still get my vote for being MY team.

I can't say enough good about them and we take care of each other.

My last THREE primary care physicians at the VA have been female.  I now include my COVID Clinic doctor.  Nothing but superb care.

PLUS ONE for Pat Riot.  Absolutely.

Archived