SASS Wire Forum

After market grips for 51' Navy?

Dang It Dan 13202

Bet Joe Perkins would take on the job of a set of customs.

https://classicsingleaction.com/

good luck, GJ

Most all gripmakers will make them for the Navy.  Depends on how much you want to spend and if you need to have them fitted, or even made specially for the gun.  Things like Giraffe bone are very nice but spendy.   I've got Magnatusk (fake ivory) on several of my '51 conversions.  They were a good enough fit that I didn't do any fitting.  They are by Arizona Custom Grips on ebay only.  

I know Gripmaker.com sells faux ivories with carvings on them.

I'm taking a grip off 1860 R-M conversion to a gun shop that recently bought a laser engraving machine. They're going to checker a spot on the grip that I layed out with pencil.  Anxious to see it....Bull Skinner, where you been! I want to show you my Richard Mason project gun......send me an e-mail

I have grips from Joe Perkins at Classic Single Action (mentioned above) they are way above average grips but not cheap. I also have grips from Arizona Custom Grips (mentioned above) the manga tusk grips are super easy to fit, age really nice in a year or so, keep there grip and are rugged. There also about $80 a set, I keep Joes grips on my Show guns and Arizona grips on my 1851 match guns

i believe my (navy grip) 72 Cimarron Open top grip frames are the same as the 51 Navy grip frames.  I just got these from Arizona Custom Grips on Ebay (they were listed as uberti navy grips)

11AB4281-7F27-4CD0-A8D4-C7821B0EA5C5.jpeg

22 hours ago, Bull Skinner said:

Altamont grips makes grips for colt saa. They also fit 1851s, same grip frame.

Actually, not really.  The Navy grip and SAA Grip and grip frames are the same size, but not the same shape.  I don't know if the OP has Pietta or Uberti, but on the Uberti the steel (SAA) and brass (Navy) grip frames are shaped differently and grips for one won't fit the other.  Even Uberti Navy grips pre-2009 won't fit 2009 and later as the brass grip frame changed then.  SAA grips would have to be very oversized to be able to be fitted to a Navy grip frame.  The Uberti SAAs that come with a brass grip frame are using Navy grips.  The Navy '51 London with steel grip frame uses the SAA grip frame.  

Piettas I know less about, but their Navy and SAA grips are not the same, either.

On 3/23/2023 at 11:13 PM, Dang It Dan 13202 said:

I got my beautiful guns from Longhunter today (long story) and after handling them a bit I was wondering if anyone makes grips for 51' Navies?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

You did not say why you are looking for different grips for your new '51 Navies.  Change in looks or change in size to better fit your hands?

1 hour ago, Dang It Dan 13202 said:

The looks are fine.  I am looking for a better fit for my hand.  The "plow handle" flares out too wide at the bottom for my liking.

Gee, why didn't you say so before?  :)

Arizona Custom Grips will make them thinner.  The gun on the left was the first set I got from them.  My hands are small and I specifically asked them to make them thin.  They did.  And while they feel fine in my hand, I sort of prefer their regular size, shown on the right.  When I got Bar-S Grips for my engraved Navies years ago, I knew that I could ask them to make them a little thinner like a 1st Gen Colt, and they did.  These AZ Custom grips are almost identical in size.

AZCustomGrips7.jpg

Archived