SASS Wire Forum

Non-SASS - ISO Information about parts for Ruger 10/22

Ozark Okie

There is a Ruger 10/22 stock and barrel for sale locally. I have never owned a 10/22 though I hunted with a 22 as a kid and have owned many other 22s over the years.   

The rifle was bought new and the other parts (receiver assembly, trigger assembly, magazine) were used to make a "super shooter". 

So, it got me thinking.....if I bought the stock and barrel, how hard would it be to source the parts...basically all the metal parts from barrel back....to make 

a) a plain Jane plinker/shooter     OR 

b) a slightly upgraded shooter...better trigger, etc.         ....probably would not be interested in any "major" upgrades

I have never been excited by the 10/22s I see spread across the gun show tables, but could get interested in putting one together.  

Will appreciate any suggestions, opinions, comments. Thanks. 

Ozark Okie

@Two Dot, 14911might be right. Most aftermarket receivers cost as much as a basic 10/22. 

Here is a place that says they have Ruger factory 10/22 receivers, but I know nothing about them. They appear legit. 10/22 receivers for $130.

https://store.wirthweinguns.com/Receivers-10-22-and-Charger-s/139.htm

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

@Two Dot, 14911might be right. Most aftermarket receivers cost as much as a basic 10/22. 

Here is a place that says they have Ruger factory 10/22 receivers, but I know nothing about them. They appear legit. 10/22 receivers for $130.

https://store.wirthweinguns.com/Receivers-10-22-and-Charger-s/139.htm

S&P Outfitters is usually cheaper for receivers or wait for a Brownells sale, both will get you under $100 for the stripped receiver.

Thanks for the feedback.

Its interesting to learn that a lot of folks do what the local guy did......just use the receiver and trigger assembly to build a better rifle. 

Its seems pretty clear it would be easier and less expensive to just buy a new one. 

I do wonder though, in view of how many folks upgrade the basic guns with better receivers and triggers as well as barrels and stocks,   if I might be able to find a factory "take off" receiver assembly and trigger guard assembly. 

Again, thanks for the feedback.  

1 hour ago, Ozark Okie said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Its interesting to learn that a lot of folks do what the local guy did......just use the receiver and trigger assembly to build a better rifle. 

Its seems pretty clear it would be easier and less expensive to just buy a new one. 

I do wonder though, in view of how many folks upgrade the basic guns with better receivers and triggers as well as barrels and stocks,   if I might be able to find a factory "take off" receiver assembly and trigger guard assembly. 

OKIE,

Here are a couple businesses with reputable aftermarket 10/22 stuff.   

F.J. Feddersen:   fjfeddersen.com

KIDD:  coolguyguns.com

Although Feddersen doesn't show their receivers on their website, it possible they still might have some in stock.

Personally, I have a Feddersen receiver on one of my 10/22's, AND.... I have a KIDD on 2 of my 10/22's.

Both receivers are perfect.   The Feddersen receiver has the picatinny rail built into the receiver.   

The KIDD receiver has groves to mount their separate picatinny,  BUT... KIDD will give options on their picatinny rails,

as you will see in their descriptions.    From my experience building 5 separate Ruger 10/22's over the past few years,

you can't go wrong with anything made by KIDD.

If you visit the 'coolguyguns' website, you will be able to do A LOT of window shopping wishes.   They have everything.

And if you want a great laminate stock, visit BOYD's stock manufacturer:   

..........Widder

Hey Widder, thanks for chiming in on this; appreciate your advice. 

I knew from other posts that you had built a few 10/22s. Not sure where I will go with this, but if I do pursue it, I'll likely go with the KIDD  parts. 

BTW, I think about you at least twice a month; every time I shoot my 32 rifle at our club shoots. Its running well....way better than I do. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with it. 

Ozark Okie

I bought one of the 10/22 upgrades…fancy barrel and stock, plus some upgraded parts.  Paid a fortune for it compared to what I should have but it’s nice.  Bonus points are it’s so smooth that every once in a while I get a 2-3 round burst that it should not be capable of :)

3 hours ago, Ozark Okie said:

Thanks for the feedback.

The people buying aftermarket receivers are generally doing a ground up build with non-Ruger parts, not replacing a Ruger receiver.  The Ruger magazine is the only Ruger part in a lot of 10-22 rifles.

I like your style, going from thinking about a bare bones, used parts, budget build to building a Kidd rifle.

11 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

The Ruger magazine is the only Ruger part in a lot of 10-22 rifles.

You are exactly right.

A long time ago, I can remember talking to a shooting pard and we would talk about our 'wishes' for certain guns.

One of our major conversations was about wanting 'this-n-that' for our Ruger 10/22's, but MOST of our wishes

were not being manufactured at the time.    Now, everything is available, in various configurations, sizes, colors, etc.......

so just about anything imaginable is now available for us to build our dream rifles.

Of course, it helps to have a healthy checkbook when you go shopping for these custom parts.

OKIE:

I will say this about the KIDD trigger systems....... I think they are noticeably better than any of the others I have tried, which

includes Volquartsen and Tandemcross, which are still great trigger systems.

The KIDD has a 2-stage trigger that is unreal ( I own one), but their single stage trigger system is buttery smooth and precise, and

for the money, the single stage trigger system is all most of us should ever desire.

I have two of the KIDD single stage trigger systems in my 10/22's, and I have only one of the 2-stage trigger systems in a 10/22.

YES... the 2-stage is a tad nicer and a dream to use..... but save your money and get the single stage trigger system, if you 

decide to buy a trigger system. 

Thanks for the kind words on the Marlin .32.

If you ever have any issues, give me a shout.  I warranty my work, including all shipping cost.

..........Widder

Archived