SASS Wire Forum

Shotshell reloading

Hoss

I think I finally got the MEC 9000 squared away. It’s a fairly simple machine, but does have a bit of a learning curve. I just loaded 100 rounds in about 20 minutes. 

not counting hulls, I think I load a box for about $6.00. Or 1/2 price of factory rounds. Low recoil 7/8 Oz loads.  13.7 Red Dot. They knock everything down assuming I actually point the shotgun in right direction!

98F31669-998C-4DF1-88CD-F5AB9CE4C84A.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Burn Through said:

So far no problem 

50 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

My 9000GN arrives tomorrow.  Very excited.  Brownells got some in recently -- it had been out of stock in most places most of the time.

Yes, it took a while to get one. They are good presses. Suggest you put a baking sheet under it. Catches dropped powder/shot. (You will drop some!) 

biggedt drawback is will drop powder/shot with no hull present. I cut a couple of hulls down, when I know there is no hull in station for whatever reason I put one in to catch the drop. 
the little lever that works the turntable can be finicky. Pops off sometimes. 
you can buy 3D printed powder bushings on eBay that work fine, much cheaper than the MEC aluminum ones. 

28 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Yes, it took a while to get one. They are good presses. Suggest you put a baking sheet under it. Catches dropped powder/shot. (You will drop some!) 

biggedt drawback is will drop powder/shot with no hull present. I cut a couple of hulls down, when I know there is no hull in station for whatever reason I put one in to catch the drop. 
the little lever that works the turntable can be finicky. Pops off sometimes. 
you can buy 3D printed powder bushings on eBay that work fine, much cheaper than the MEC aluminum ones. 

Great, thanks for passing along the wisdom of experience.  I had my SizeMaster press on a baking tray, and the new press is taking its place.  I got a large set of MEC powder bushings a long time ago.

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Judging by the dots on the bottom, you're getting a lot of reloads out of some of those hulls!  Do you have a limit, or just go by how they look?

Yes, I mark the hulls. Started doing that years ago. I load them until they scorch or crack. I’ve gotten 10+ reloads out of a lot of them. Average is probably 5. I acquired a big box of hulls last year, so I did some serious culling. Most of my current batch have 2 or so. 

good for you - that looks like its working very well from the photos , im still messing with my mec - i have to admit i dont currently need to reload shotshells to continue shooting so its not a high priority right now , but im looking forward as if ill always be here shooting so i want it set up and working , this is my third shotgun reloader ....everything else went a whole lot better 

I also just use the hulls until they split or crack, but I'll use scorched ones one more time again (typically the ones that were loaded with 777 FFg) if they are mechanically sound -- they usually crack at the crimp folds the next time used.  So, why bother marking the hulls if you inspect and toss as needed anyway?  I'm sure I get 10+ uses out of nearly all of the 3/4 oz 14gr TiteWad loaded Win AA hulls I can find, which produce shells that knock down every target I hit.

+1 on a baking sheet under the press.  I would also suggest a hole in the sheet and your table, then attach a pint jar on the underside.   Makes it easier to contain the stray shot and powder for cleaning.  

the only downside to a mec is getting a pc of shot stuck in the sizer.  It can cause lots of issues.  When you spill shot, make sure the sizer is clear before proceeding. 

1 hour ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

I also just use the hulls until they split or crack, but I'll use scorched ones one more time again (typically the ones that were loaded with 777 FFg) if they are mechanically sound -- they usually crack at the crimp folds the next time used.  So, why bother marking the hulls if you inspect and toss as needed anyway?  I'm sure I get 10+ uses out of nearly all of the 3/4 oz 14gr TiteWad loaded Win AA hulls I can find, which produce shells that knock down every target I hit.

To be truthful, I started marking early on, and just never stopped. I really don’t need to, it’s more of a curiosity and/or habit than anything else! Plus, if someone finds a dropped shell, I know if it’s mine or not. 

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

Yes, I mark the hulls. Started doing that years ago. I load them until they scorch or crack. I’ve gotten 10+ reloads out of a lot of them. Average is probably 5. I acquired a big box of hulls last year, so I did some serious culling. Most of my current batch have 2 or so. 

Sure wish you would quit putting those pesky little black dots on the back of your shells.  It's hard to get them off before I reload them for next month.  :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Brushy Creek Bill, SASS # 49466 said:

Sure wish you would quit putting those pesky little black dots on the back of your shells.  It's hard to get them off before I reload them for next month.  :ph34r:

And that’s another good reason. Keeps my “Pards” honest. 

I love my MEC 9000E except for the pain in the butt having to adjust between STS and AA. I haven't found  that sweet spot (if there is one) that will allow me to switch without having to adjust. Right now I am only doing STS since I like them better than the AA but I know in the future I will need to make the switchover since I am not purchasing any new STS shells and I have about 5k AA hulls bagged up.

TM

5 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

I love my MEC 9000E except for the pain in the butt having to adjust between STS and AA. I haven't found  that sweet spot (if there is one) that will allow me to switch without having to adjust. Right now I am only doing STS since I like them better than the AA but I know in the future I will need to make the switchover since I am not purchasing any new STS shells and I have about 5k AA hulls bagged up.

TM

I found the solution was a different wad.  Sts can use correct size wad ie 1 oz shot, 1 oz wad.   Aahs seem to need one size larger wad.  Ie 1 oz shot, 1 1/8 oz wad.  7/8 oz use 1 oz wad. 

Although that is a "one-size-larger payload" wad, it is actually a shorter (physically) wad.  The AA-HS hull is slightly smaller volume than the STS hull.  So, it has the best crimp by the reloader using "just a bit" smaller wad.   So, changing to a 1 1/8 ounce wad of the same style (either Win and Win or Rem and Rem) wad as works in the Remington hull for a 1 ounce load  - will usually work for that same 1 ounce load in a Winchester AA-HS hull.  

At the low pressures that most of us load shotshells for Cowboy shooting, you will never have any problems with unsafe pressures.   Do watch for squibby loads though.

good luck, GJ

21 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

I found the solution was a different wad.  Sts can use correct size wad ie 1 oz shot, 1 oz wad.   Aahs seem to need one size larger wad.  Ie 1 oz shot, 1 1/8 oz wad.  7/8 oz use 1 oz wad. 

I shoot 7/8 oz shot and wads in my STS. Might get some 1 oz and give it a try to see how that works. Sounds like I need a 1 oz bushing though.

Thanks for the tip.

TM

16 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

I shoot 7/8 oz shot and wads in my STS. Might get some 1 oz and give it a try to see how that works. Sounds like I need a 1 oz bushing though.

Thanks for the tip.

TM

I load my BP shells with AA hulls. I use 7/8 Oz shot but 1oz wads. Keeps the crimp from pushing out. 

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I load my BP shells with AA hulls. I use 7/8 Oz shot but 1oz wads. Keeps the crimp from pushing out. 

Guess I will need to do some experimenting to get a decent load from my Clay Dot loads then.

Thanks

TM

26 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

Thanks for the tip.

TM

Just get a bag of 1oz wads and try them in the aahs hulls.  Should fit with the same setup as the sts using 7/8 shot.   While the aahs use the same reload data I found the stack height was taller.  By using the larger wad, the stack height is the same between the two hulls.  

1 minute ago, Still hand Bill said:

Just get a bag of 1oz wads and try them in the aahs hulls.  Should fit with the same setup as the sts using 7/8 shot.   While the aahs use the same reload data I found the stack height was taller.  By using the larger wad, the stack height is the same between the two hulls.  

Don't you end up with the cup petals being too high? On my Grabber & 600jr., I've been able to interchange hulls... so far!!

3 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

The 1 oz wads are shorter as they hold more shot.  

I realize that, but if you only put in 7/8oz., don't the petals stick up to high above the shot. I'll have to try it next time I use AAs. I use the pink wads and 1oz. of shot in my BP shells, so easy to try. Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

Guess I will need to do some experimenting to get a decent load from my Clay Dot loads then.

Thanks

TM

I’ll bring a handful of 1 Oz wads to Plum Creek next week for you to try 

22 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I realize that, but if you only put in 7/8oz., don't the petals stick up to high above the shot. I'll have to try it next time I use AAs. I use the pink wads and 1oz. of shot in my BP shells, so easy to try. Thanks.

Never had an issue shot thousands of them before I standardized on rem hulls.  The difference is pretty subtle.  

5 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’ll bring a handful of 1 Oz wads to Plum Creek next week for you to try 

Next week?  Might want to check your calendar. :)

It's really good when someone can loan you some wads to try out.  They only come in big bags!  I have some pink wads ( I don't recall part number and I don't have access to them right now) on a whim when I was ordering Cheddites from Ballistic Products.  I'd certainly be happy to give samples to any locals.  Otherwise gray 7/8 wads are what I use.

9 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Next week?  Might want to check your calendar. :)

It's really good when someone can loan you some wads to try out.  They only come in big bags!  I have some pink wads ( I don't recall part number and I don't have access to them right now) on a whim when I was ordering Cheddites from Ballistic Products.  I'd certainly be happy to give samples to any locals.  Otherwise gray 7/8 wads are what I use.

I would like to try what you have as well as the ones Hoss is bringing me.

Thanks

TM

Here is what my current tweaking looks like for all 3 sets of hulls, STS, Grey AA and Red AA with a 7/8 oz wad. Still just a small pinhole in the crimp on the AA's.

Wad.thumb.jpg.7fc3103aa11e6438d1821073fd33cac3.jpgWadType.thumb.jpg.64c703acfaff136f7543a9eaf16bd708.jpgHullComp.thumb.jpg.239adf6cfd619e9aa2e6d42354501f56.jpg

TM

That's about what I get too. A tad less crimp on my STS and just a tad more on my AA with the same wad.

Archived