SASS Wire Forum

One of the better oil filter tests I’ve seen on YouTube

Buckshot Bob

12 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Just dont fall for the ATF Napa Filter that looks like a suppressor ad :)  

I think the ATF sells those oil filter adapters on Facebook. With a guaranteed visit to your home at a future date 

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

No mention of the oil weight or oil temperature in the tests.:huh:

As long as it’s the same for all the filters I’ll take it. Personally I’d rather see them test more filters than expand into different weight oils and temperatures. You could go down a rabbit hole you’ll never emerge from. This one is way better than the cut it apart and give an opinion video that most of the ones on YouTube are. At least they demonstrate flow and dp 

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Oil filter flow and psi will very a good bit when the oil is hot and not room temp.

The oil weight plays a big part too.

No argument it could be better, just the best one I’ve see on YouTube. I’d love to see some of the test machines manufacturers like Mobile have made but no one in the industry seems to put that out for the general public consumption. 
This is a pretty good forum if you’re into lubricants 

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/

25 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Oil filter flow and psi will very a good bit when the oil is hot and not room temp.

The oil weight plays a big part too.

Yes. This was not a real world test. Heat kills engines and transmissions as quick as anything.

Regular maintenance is the key,

but an external oil cooler added to an engine would do more to add engine longevity than to buy these so called premium oil filters. It will increase oil life and remove excess heat from process of lubrication.

I’m a Wix/Napa Gold/Fleetguard guy myself,though Baldwin and Donaldson filters certainly rank high and are used heavily by commercial fleets

24 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Yes. This was not a real world test. Heat kills engines and transmissions as quick as anything.

Regular maintenance is the key,

but an external oil cooler added to an engine would do more to add engine longevity than to buy these so called premium oil filters. It will increase oil life and remove excess heat from process of lubrication.

I’m a Wix/Napa Gold/Fleetguard guy myself,though Baldwin and Donaldson filters certainly rank high and are used heavily by commercial fleets

I’ve seen tests where Napa gold and Baldwin rate fairly high. One of the tear down videos I have seen showed mobile1, Amsoil, Royal Purple and Napa Gold or Wix , forget which were virtually identical internally. Allot of people speculate they are made in the same factory. I’m sure there are lots NDA’s covering who makes what for who. 
I’ve always liked mobile 1 , and you can pick them up fairly cheap on sale . I agree regular maintenance is the key. 

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I'm the same ;)

Napa Gold are Wix. NAPA Select are Mann and Humel. Napa oil is made by Ashland that makes Valvoline. Fleetguards on my trucks seems to have better flow or something, or it is least constricted. Slightly higher oil pressure, just a few pounds over the WIX/NAPA, but no real difference.

I think oil depends on application too, especially in equipment and diesels. And I did find Lucas oil stabilizer definitely boosted oil pressure in an old worn out CAT 3208 I once had.

I do like NAPA or Valvoline diesel oils, but in my boom trucks that idle all day running the PTO, I try to always use Mobil Delvac. The Mobil Delvac doesn't seem to soot up as bad and feels, well, oiler at oil change time (250 engine hours is how I do it). It's a synthetic blend. NAPA and Valvoline Blue diesel oils are my close second and third pics, in that order, and are conventional oils. NAPA is slightly heavier ( at least it pours slower) than the Valvoline Blue and NAPA oil has a greener hue, in 15w40. I know a bunch of fleets that run NAPA oil and filters exclusively- good stuff at a fair price.

But there were oil shortages last year and it was tough to find Delvac, NAPA or Valvoline. I used Citgo oil some last year, when it was all I could find. The local NAPA could not even get NAPA oil. Citgo is ok. Reminds me of DELO or Havoline diesel oils. Never found favor in DELO, Havoline, or Rotella for that matter, in my boom trucks. All seem to soot up more but all seem fine great in my farm/utility tractor, or applications primarily for highway use.

I think the idling all day makes for more soot in oil. And it's the different traits, characteristics, and variables that these internet tests do not take into consideration that ultimately make them inconclusive. Especially on older engines with a lot of cylinder/ring wear. I am by no means a mechanic, strictly observational. I do as little mechanical as possible, due to lack of qualification, experience, tools and skills, but do all of my oil changes and lubrication.

There was a great, in depth, on engine oil filter test done on Engine Masters, a show that appears on the Motor Trend HD network. They ran multiple filters on an actual engine that was mounted on an engine dynamometer.  

That test was very well conducted and controlled and the results were well presented.

If you’re really interested, I think you can find it on demand from your provider.

Whatever you do don’t use the K&N with the nut welded to the bottom.I changed the oil on my truck, drove it for about a week. One morning I go out in the garage and there is about a quart of oil on the floor . It had started leaking out of the nut at the spot weld . Even sent it back to K&N and they confirmed. I had about a dozen filters the refund me for . I’m lucky it happened when it did . Did some research and apparently it’s not an anomaly. Some tracks were people race bikes have actually banned their use 

I've always used Fram filters and change my oil every 3K in the old ones. Would have no idea how well they actually work!

4 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've always used Fram filters and change my oil every 3K in the old ones. Would have no idea how well they actually work!

Look at WIX filters.

They are OEM for many car makers.

Fram has really gone down hill in the last few years. No car maker ever used Fram. ;)

K&N is a brand that’s overrated, overpriced and under performs, in my book. I jumped on the K&N bandwagon years ago in the 80’s & early 90’s because “that’s what all the professionals use” per a nameless moron in a bike shop. 
The 4 foam air filters I put in my carbs all came apart at one point or another. K&N’s “guarantee” wasn’t a guarantee in reality. I switched to their corrugated version at their recommendation, which was nearly double the price of the foam ones. They got these little perforations in them. No idea why. K&N said I must have installed them incorrectly. -_-

Oh yeah, their foam filters required frequent cleaning and oiling. Messy flippin’ task. They claimed I voided the warranty using non-K&N oil. I used another brand deemed okay per K&N’s rep at the cycle shop. 

EDIT: I tried a K&N performance air filter on a ‘74 Dodge in ‘93. It would not fit correctly and I didn’t trust it was sealing. 

Screw K&N…for life!

Howdy,

I would have liked to see a factory filter, maybe Honda or Toyota, added to the test.

I usually get a fair discount on five or six at a time.

Once I bought a old mg which used a lot of oil.

I changed the filter and found several seal parts.

Correct install and oil usage was close to none.

Best

CR

Archived