SASS Wire Forum

Valuation of Marlin 1894's

Dcbonecrusher

Good afternoon!    I believe I'm posting in the proper section and am ok to post this.  If not, my apologies. 

My dad was an active CAS and SASS member:  H.H. Hipshot.  He wasn't the fastest shooter, but made every shot count - hated missing targets, as it was a waste of a bullet.  

I've inherited half of his collection, including 2 Marlin Cowboys.  I'm curious their value.  Any input would be appreciated.

1.  1894 CBC, JM stamped, case color receiver, octagonal barrel, in 38 special

2. 1894 CB Limited, JM stamped, octagonal barrel, in 45 colt

Both are in near perfect condition if not perfect.  I can post more pics if that's helpful.

20230314_154010.jpg

20230314_152406.jpg

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

At least $1200.00+, each.

Hope you're not planning to sell them!

Well, I had been looking to sell them until I got so much flack from the Marlin forum people.  I guess they need to remain in my posession?

I understand they were your father’s rifles but if you have no use for them now would be a good time to sell as Marlin rifle prices are way up. I’ve collected Marlin rifles for almost 20 years and I have never seen how much they bring now. If you decide to sell them, Gunbroker would bring you the most value. As a “Guest” you are not allowed to sell them on this site. They look like nice Marlins. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

2 minutes ago, Doc Fill 'Em 67797 said:

I understand they were your father’s rifles but if you have no use for them now would be a good time to sell as Marlin rifle prices are way up. I’ve collected Marlin rifles for almost 20 years and I have never seen how much they bring now. If you decide to sell them, Gunbroker would bring you the most value. As a “Guest” you are not allowed to sell them on this site. They look like nice Marlins. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thank you Doc.  I figured I couldn't sell them here, but hoped for some accurate values based on the experiences here.  I appreciate that.

2 minutes ago, Dcbonecrusher said:

I like your thinkin' Tyrel.  

I've held onto them thinking one day I'll join you guys.

No time like the present.  

My Dad was not a big gun guy and there are a pair of his I'd never sell.  A couple of others he bought when I was an adult really have no sentimental value at all.  if it wasn't a bit of a hassle, I'd sell those when prices are high.  Only you know what is important and what isn't!

I'm guessing the Cowboy Competition 38 spl could bring around $1,400+ to someone who wanted one.  They are rare in excellent condition.  The 45 Colt would bring about $1,000 in good condition.   Both are fine rifles and should go up in value in the future if you wanted to hang onto them.  If you have no use for them and they aren't sentimental, sell them on Gunbroker as suggested.  They should sell easily.

4 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I'm guessing the Cowboy Competition 38 spl could bring around $1,400+ to someone who wanted one.  They are rare in excellent condition.  The 45 Colt would bring about $1,000 in good condition.   Both are fine rifles and should go up in value in the future if you wanted to hang onto them.  If you have no use for them and they aren't sentimental, sell them on Gunbroker as suggested.  They should sell easily.

Thanks Badlands... I appreciate that.

I do believe I had the distinct pleasure of shooting with your Dad on many occasions. Did he live in or around DFW? I fine, quiet spoken man. A pleasure to talk to and shoot with. I am honored to have known him and saddened to hear of his passing. They are still shooting at the Ormsby Ranch on two seperate weekends. Second weekend is LSFSC and fourth weekend CVV.

1 minute ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I do believe I had the distinct pleasure of shooting with your Dad on many occasions. Did he live in or around DFW? I fine, quiet spoken man. A pleasure to talk to and shoot with. I am honored to have known him and saddened to hear of his passing. They are still shooting at the Ormsby Ranch on two seperate weekends. Second weekend is LSFSC and fourth weekend CVV.

Hi there Goody.  Yes, HH Hipshot, Jimmie, was in DFW, was quiet and soft spoken, and always a pleasure to shoot with on any venue.  I appreciate hearing other's experiences with him.  That warms my heart.

4 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I own and shoot one of the Cowboy Competition 38 Special models, most recently at EOT where it performed flawlessly.  It feeds standard length 38 Specials without a hiccup.  At matches shooters have asked me why I shoot an antique.  I shoot in black powder categories and find the rifle very easy to clean.  In short, you have a special rifle.

The 45 Colt model would be useful in Wild Bunch matches.

1 minute ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I own and shoot one of the Cowboy Competition 38 Special models, most recently at EOT where it performed flawlessly.  It feeds standard length 38 Specials without a hiccup.  At matches shooters have asked me why I shoot an antique.  I shoot in black powder categories and find the rifle very easy to clean.  I short, you have a special rifle.

The 45 Colt model would be useful in Wild Bunch matches.

I've shot it maybe twice, with only several tubes of ammo each time, and it was extremely smooth and no issues at all.  I agree with you - a very nice, dependable shooter.  What good is a gun that you can't trust?

Would I sell them? No way in heck, but that's me. 

I just bought a .44 mag CB Limited for 950.00. The one pictured above is nicer. The price ranges noted above are pretty spot on, IMO.

22 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Would I sell them? No way in heck, but that's me. 

I just bought a .44 mag CB Limited for 950.00. The one pictured above is nicer. The price ranges noted above are pretty spot on, IMO.

Thank you Slim, I appreciate the input for sure.

The .38 Competition:   NO LESS than $1400

The .45 Colt:   $1000 would be a good buy for the buyer.  $1200 might also sell faster than you can blink yeowndangeyeball... ;)

I took my .45 and cut the barrel to 16.5".   I only shoot sup'd up hot .45 Colt loads in it.    A good hot Colt .45 in a short barrel rifle

is basically equivalent to a .454 Casull in a 7" pistol barrel.

Good luck in your decisions to sell or keep them.

..........Widder

i gotta add to this litany - i lost , through legacy inheritance and stupidity on my part a few my father owned , i did gain a couple too and since gifted them to my godson who learned to shoot with them , there is a lot to be said for hanging onto the ones that have come to you from your family no matter what your perception of them is regarding future value or current worth , owning something that belonged to your parent or grandparent or even before is a blessing you should never ignore , at the end of my life im realizing just how important the family ties are , 

Five days ago, a used, but "like new" .38 CBC sold for $2450, shipped, on Gunbroker. Another one in similar condition went for $2050 + $80 shipping on the same day. Another one, with obvious signs of use, went for $1170, shipped, about seven weeks ago. A fourth one, listed as "mint in box" for $1845, shipped, ended with no bids, so may have sold "in store".

Only one CB Limited .45 is listed as sold in completed auctions, and went for $1875, plus shipping. The seller listed it as "Excellent 97%+ condition".

Jm stamped marlins are running on average $1200 each. I've seen them from $900-$1700 in recent months. Just depends on how bad who wants it when you post it. Being as they were your dad's I'd say just keep them but not everyone is sentimental that way. 

Archived