SASS Wire Forum

Would you tell him?

Alpo

Leave us say that you have a friend. This friend has a moral problem with eating young animals.

He has no trouble with eating beef or mutton, but he will not eat veal or lamb because - murdered baby animal.

One of your friend's favorite dishes is blah blah (it does not matter what the actual dish is - this is an example). And blah blah is made from veal. Your friend does not know this as, unlike veal parmesan or veal scallopini, veal is not part of the name of the dish.

Would you tell your friend that blah blah had veal in it?

Maybe after he ate and liked it.:ph34r:

Did it to my BIL years ago with a turkey dinner. Told him after he raved about the turkey, that I shot it that morning! He didn't believe me until I showed him the feathers and tail.:ph34r: He was awed that it was actually delicious.:D

I'd tell him what one of his favorite meals is...especially if he got all preachy about his food morality.

Many years ago (78 or 79), I went to a Thanksgiving dinner/biker party in northern Clearwater, Fl. The "turkey" tasted gamey but was real good. I found out later that it wasn't turkey, it was peacock. In that area, peacocks had gotten loose from somewhere, multiplied rapidly and became invasive. The bikers had shot a few and cooked them up and they were good eating. Haven't had peacock since but every time I drive down Hercules Ave near where the party was, I think of that dinner and the peacocks.  The peacocks have since become established over a large area covering northern Clearwater and much of Dunedin.

Fed the wife pepper steak recently with elk steak in it.  She has a long history of saying she doesn't eat venison. 

I have not told her, as I appreciate a peaceful house.  

I’d tell him/her!  I’d try to be tactful, unless they were, as Cypress Sun says, “preachy” about it.

I don't believe I would. I don't see the advantage.

Let's say this fella has decided he is not going to give money to the enemy. Doesn't go to movies with Rosie O'Donnell in them. Doesn't buy Levi's or Dockers. And does not eat Sara Lee cheesecake, because Sara Lee is major corporate contributor to handgun control Incorporated.

Really likes his Jimmy Dean sausage though.

Would it do any good to tell him that Sara Lee owns Jimmy Dean? He will either have to find another brand of sausage - which will not be as good because, let's face it, Jimmy Dean is the world's best sausage - or accept the fact that he's a hypocrite. Neither of these choices will make youHIM happy, so why tell him?

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Leave us say that you have a friend. This friend has a moral problem with eating young animals.

He has no trouble with eating beef or mutton, but he will not eat veal or lamb because - murdered baby animal.

I would first have to question his double standard. Sounds more like what has come to be called virtue signaling than a deeply held belief.

If I had made it I wouldn't tell him.  If he asked me to make it, or I heard him order it I likely would.  "You know that that dish is made with veal, don't you?"  Although I don't know if veal is really veal anymore, or just very young cattle.  Need to look up the definition.

No, I would not tell him.

He has not hired me to be his ingredient investigator.  If he wants to avoid eating certain things, he can do his own research.

I would only offer advice on food if I knew he was about to be harmed, like if the dish contained peanuts and he was allergic to them.

36 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I don't believe I would. I don't see the advantage.

Let's say this fella has decided he is not going to give money to the enemy. Doesn't go to movies with Rosie O'Donnell in them. Doesn't buy Levi's or Dockers. And does not eat Sara Lee cheesecake, because Sara Lee is major corporate contributor to handgun control Incorporated.

Really likes his Jimmy Dean sausage though.

Would it do any good to tell him that Sara Lee owns Jimmy Dean? He will either have to find another brand of sausage - which will not be as good because, let's face it, Jimmy Dean is the world's best sausage - or accept the fact that he's a hypocrite. Neither of these choices will make youHIM happy, so why tell him?

What? 

Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee.:rolleyes:

My dad was in France many years ago.  The man he was with ordered dinner for them both.  French restaurant, dad doesn't understand or read French.  Got his meal and dug into it.  After a few bites he said he was raving on how good the meal was.  Continued eating and his friend asked him if he really liked it.  Dad's reply was absolutely!  Really good.  It was tripe.  As dad described it, the eating stopped immediately and it was all he could do to hold down what he had already consumed.  Dad worked for a butcher as a kid and they butchered their own animals on the farm.  Tripe was not on grandma's menu.  

I learned early on not to eat anything unless you could identify it or was told what the ingredients were.  Mom would try to expand our palate by experimenting with her menu.  It got weird sometimes.  I'm not a real picky eater but I do have boundaries.

nope - let him think it all comes from the grocery store - the rest of us know it comes from the farms - or woods/swamps/fields of all places on earth - these provide the food we eat , god bless america where folks can get raised so stupid' and stay that way 

Probably,  but the timing depends on him.

If he's sincere about it, I'd ease it into a conversation away from the table when we were alone as a friendly FYI.

If he's just pretentiously virtue signaling, I'd bring it up when he's mid-bite and in public.  If he's that hung up on virtue signaling, then we probably ain't close to begin with.

It's sorta like the proselytizing vegan I was forced to work with for a day a couple of years ago.  He worked his veganism into his introduction- but was taken aback when I introduced myself as an opportunistic omnivore. By lunch I was so done with him singing the praises of kale and lentils that I and one of the others started a side conversation on our preferred methods of slow cooking pork.

On 3/23/2023 at 6:16 AM, Alpo said:

I've known beef eaters who don't like the concept of veal; couple of women. I sort of grasp it; must be a maternal emotional thing.

But I haven't seen anything labeled "mutton" for over 50 years.

Are there veal dishes in fact that don't have "veal" in the name? Or is the question purely theoretical?

To me the operative word was "friend". Not acquaintance or fellow worker. Friend. Saint Paul said something about the scruples of others that also might be pertinent.

Archived