SASS Wire Forum

Dimensions for military casings?

A few years ago my dad bought me some shot glasses supposedly made from spent 30mm cases from an A-10. Similar to these but without the etching.

https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Warthog-Engraved-Shot-Glass/dp/B017MRYX74

They’re fun to use in certain crowds, and I got to thinking the other night (after several shots from my favorite “glass”)…

What artillery pieces, tank guns, naval guns, or other such pieces would make a good highball glass?  Or other such containers as appropriate?

So I went to looking for dimensions of cases and come up with zilch. 

Anybody got a guess where I could start for this project?

I have silver plated pre war shot glasses from my Dad. If clean polished they are great.  Shells might add unfortunate flavoring.  I have a brass beer mug that was originally plated - décor only unless I have it replated, yuk!  Symbolically, whatever is important. 

Doesn't the A10 warthog fire 30mm depleted uranium rounds?

Don't know if there's any residual radiation left on the shell casings, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

I used to have 6 spent 40mm grenade cases that we did shots from in the Navy. I am pretty sure they held over 2 ounces. I recall my friend sealing up the flash holes from the primer with some sort of epoxy for me. At my going away party my wife threw me at our apartment I vaguely recall giving them to my friends. 
I have one case left around here somewhere. If I can find it I will try to get some measurements off of it. It wasn’t modified as a shot glass. 

3 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Looks like it has potential. 

Thanks.  Next thing I could think of in size was 75mm,  Which, now that I think of it, really isn't all that outrageous for a highball glass.  
https://colemans.com/shell-casing-blank-75mm  
Description

75mm blank M337A2 casing for HOW M1A1 and M1A1C measures 7 1/8 in. high x approx. 3 1/8 in. diameter. Bottom stamped with M9A1B1.

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I used to have 6 spent 40mm grenade cases that we did shots from in the Navy. I am pretty sure they held over 2 ounces. I recall my friend sealing up the flash holes from the primer with some sort of epoxy for me. At my going away party my wife threw me at our apartment I vaguely recall giving them to my friends. 
I have one case left around here somewhere. If I can find it I will try to get some measurements off of it. It wasn’t modified as a shot glass. 

There you Go no need for those light weight shot glasses made for the Air Force , We drink Like real men 40 mm , :) 
Shell casing would be appx 3 inches long , Never measured them but I used  a bunch :) 

40mm.PNG

3 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

There you Go no need for those light weight shot glasses made for the Air Force , We drink Like real men 40 mm , :) 
Shell casing would be appx 3 inches long , Never measured them but I used  a bunch :) 

40mm.PNG

We were drunk when trying to calculate capacity. Our ladies were there so I am sure we were light on the estimate. 1 shot per beer. :lol:

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thanks.  Next thing I could think of in size was 75mm,  Which, now that I think of it, really isn't all that outrageous for a highball glass.  
https://colemans.com/shell-casing-blank-75mm  
Description

75mm blank M337A2 casing for HOW M1A1 and M1A1C measures 7 1/8 in. high x approx. 3 1/8 in. diameter. Bottom stamped with M9A1B1.

I found that site while searching but it is out of stock. Yes, it’s pretty close to what I’m seeking. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

We were drunk when trying to calculate capacity. Our ladies were there so I am sure we were light on the estimate. 1 shot per beer. :lol:

Here :) 

40mm is a 2 oz shot 
Dimensions: 4 ¼”H x 1 11/16”W (base

https://luckyshotusa.com/products/40mm-shot-glass-in-olive-drab?variant=32185230262314&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-LeSh_Ly_QIVHzatBh1JyQXpEAYYASABEgKDRPD_BwE

17 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Ha! See, even drunk, sailors function perfectly…just ask us…when we’re drunk. :rolleyes:  :lol::lol::lol:

I no longer drink, so no worries in this regard. ;)

Archived