SASS Wire Forum

Glock Nomenclature Made Easy

Subdeacon Joe

I gotta tell you: if that guy worked for me he wouldn't work for me a second longer.

I worked in a lot of gun stores and sporting good stores and the number one thing I did and taught was "don't confuse the customer!"

Best salesman I ever had...and one of the worst, too...was a former Gunny who couldn't deal with "Know it all amateurs", but he had a way with rookies, especially the ladies.  He never talked down to anyone unless they were KIAA (see above) cowboys.  He would tell some guy to go get some pie and coffee while he took the guy's lady aside, explained things so she could understand, let her shoot one of out loaner guns, and sold her an appropriate piece.  He usually got ammo, accessories, classes, and even NRA or state shooting memberships included in the sale.  He invited them to come back and get cleaning classes (which led to cleaning gear sales), introduced  them to other ladies and encouraged them to shoot at out range often.

After I left he quit and retired to his garage. 

46 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

one thing I did and taught was "don't confuse the customer!"

Heh!  When big box stores here still sold ammo I'd sometimes ask for a box of 7.65 Browning. Without fail I'd be handed a box of 7.62 x 39. "No, 7.65 Browning." Then be told there was no such critter.   Also got told there was no such thing as .32 ACP.   

Go to most local gun stores and it wasn't a problem.  Well... finding it might be, but they knew what I was talking about.

But I think you will admit that Glock Nomenclature can be confusing.

Only good thing to come out of all that is, at least, she didnt buy a Glock. :D

***Nothing actually wrong with a Glock - just their over zealous fanboys who are under the impression that anything prior to Gastons ugly plastic club is obsolete caveman technology***

Back onWHEN the highway patrol first started using Glocks in 40 Smith, I was in a diner having lunch. On the way out I passed the booth that had two highway patrolman.

On the one that was sitting so his gun was pointed out towards the aisle, and I could see that it was a Glock, and I said, "Excuse me, is that a 22?"

And he very condescendingly explained to me that, "No, it's a 40 Smith & Wesson. Policeman don't carry 22s. They are too small."

CanAND cops wonder why non cops don't like them sometimes.

Yes, Glocks can be confusing in their numbering system. Of course so can S&W with their numbers, Ruger with their frames, CZ with their letter-number-letters designations, etc…

I think every gun manufacturer has quirks in their systems of model designations. 

I will never forget the day I was explaining my Glocks to some new shooters at the range. I had my G34s (I have 2) my G45 and my G48 and I had a Polymer 80 Glock 19 clone. I was explaining each one when someone said “What cartridges does each one fire?” When I responded with “They all are chambered for 9mm.” I got some raised eyebrows. The girl that was with them said “Gee, ya got enough 9mm’s there? Is that all the 9mm guns Glock makes?” Then I told her “There’s the G17, the G18 machine pistol, the G26, the G19X and I believe another one is on the drawing board (the G47)” They just looked at me like I had three heads, thanked me then went about their business. 

58 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes, Glocks can be confusing in their numbering system. Of course so can S&W with their numbers, Ruger with their frames, CZ with their letter-number-letters designations, etc…

I think every gun manufacturer has quirks in their systems of model designations. 

I’ve got a S&W M&P 2.0 compact in 9mm, that’s a mouthful compared to Glock 19 

25 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I’ve got a S&W M&P 2.0 compact in 9mm, that’s a mouthful compared to Glock 19 

Thats why I just picked up a Smith Equalizer - easier to remember the name.

Of course now the debate is...

Is the Smith named after the

British Equalizer

Denzel

or 

Queen Latifah

Or the original Equalizer from Sam Colt?

Had a similar conversation several times;

"I want me a Glock fawty"

"Would FORTY be the model or the caliber?"

"Whut?"

LOL.

That there young man sure is bright-eyed and bushytailed, but he lacks a certain laid back quality. Needs seasoning. Poor woman didn't know. Not her fault, really.

As far as I know Glock is the only one that uses their numbering system that happen to be calibers also which is really confusing! The Glock 22, 44.45, etc.

At least S&W doesn't use numbers that can be mistaken as the caliber. Model 10,15. 19, 29, 37, 637, 642,442, M&P Shield, Shield EZ, M&P 2.0 etc. Yea that can get confusing but nowhere near as confusing as what Glock uses! 

I have a Smith & Wesson Model 22 - it's a 45.

22-4195045ACPright.thumb.jpg.4404f9eb1b7b3f2813b99372091ca8a2.jpg

And while I don't currently have one, I used to have a Model 25. Also a 45.

And we can't forget the Model 41, which is a 22.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I have a Smith & Wesson Model 22 - it's a 45.

22-4195045ACPright.thumb.jpg.4404f9eb1b7b3f2813b99372091ca8a2.jpg

And while I don't currently have one, I used to have a Model 25. Also a 45.

And we can't forget the Model 41, which is a 22.

Hmmm, did not know about those. Well, still not as bad as Glock! Looks like the only one they still make is the Model 25.https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-25-s-w-classics-6-1-2-blue

Just wait until some genius anti-gun libtard wants to pass legislation against the Colt SAA saying it's high-cap revolving magazine holds 1873 bullets.

14 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Just wait until some genius anti-gun libtard wants to pass legislation against the Colt SAA saying it's high-cap revolving magazine holds 1873 bullets.

Or 4440 bullets! :wacko:

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Heh!  When big box stores here still sold ammo I'd sometimes ask for a box of 7.65 Browning. Without fail I'd be handed a box of 7.62 x 39. "No, 7.65 Browning." Then be told there was no such critter.   Also got told there was no such thing as .32 ACP.   

Go to most local gun stores and it wasn't a problem.  Well... finding it might be, but they knew what I was talking about.

But I think you will admit that Glock Nomenclature can be confusing.

One of my favorite pastimes is asking dumb questions of gun store employees to gauge their level of knowledge.  Gun stores tend to fare better than big  box stores in that regard.

10 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

One of my favorite pastimes is asking dumb questions of gun store employees to gauge their level of knowledge.  Gun stores tend to fare better than big  box stores in that regard.

Sometimes. I saw a gun store guy who was asked by a new gun owner buying a 9mm what the difference was between 9mm Luger, Parabellum, and 9X19. He didn't know that they're the same. I pulled an ammo box off the shelf that had all three listings and showed her that. Another guy tried to tell a buyer that a M1 Garand had "Blackened Stainless" parts.

8 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Sometimes. I saw a gun store guy who was asked by a new gun owner buying a 9mm what the difference was between 9mm Luger, Parabellum, and 9X19. He didn't know that they're the same. I pulled an ammo box off the shelf that had all three listings and showed her that. Another guy tried to tell a buyer that a M1 Garand had "Blackened Stainless" parts.

My sister's husband (rest his soul) was not real up on guns. He had a 9mm Taurus, bought 2 or 3 boxes of 9mm once.....only problem was they were 9mm Makarov! Easy mistake I guess.

JHC

1 hour ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

This is a Glock 40, it's unloaded, see? BANG

I've carried Glocks for decades. They don't go BANG unless you pull the trigger. This guy gets a lifetime DQ to carry a Glock.

JHC

facepalm statue.jpg

5 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

My sister's husband (rest his soul) was not real up on guns. He had a 9mm Taurus, bought 2 or 3 boxes of 9mm once.....only problem was they were 9mm Makarov! Easy mistake I guess.

JHC

Or 9mm Largo.

A few weeks ago, I called Academy Sports to inquire about their primer stock as their website listing of in stock items is never correct and I've made the trip once before for nothing.

Phone call:

- Academy, how can I help you?

- I'm calling to check stock on your primers for reloading.

- What kind are you looking for?

- Small pistol, preferably Federal.

- Okay, let me go look...

- All we have is .22 Long Rifle, is that small enough?

I hung up but that was the phone call verbatim.:(

20 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I will never forget the day I was explaining my Glocks to some new shooters at the range. I had my G34s (I have 2) my G45 and my G48 and I had a Polymer 80 Glock 19 clone. I was explaining each one when someone said “What cartridges does each one fire?” When I responded with “They all are chambered for 9mm.” I got some raised eyebrows. The girl that was with them said “Gee, ya got enough 9mm’s there? Is that all the 9mm guns Glock makes?” Then I told her “There’s the G17, the G18 machine pistol, the G26, the G19X and I believe another one is on the drawing board (the G47)” They just looked at me like I had three heads, thanked me then went about their business. 

Gee Pat, I didn't know you were a G**** fan. You probably eat pineapple on your pizza too. You should maybe get some counseling. :lol:

8 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Gee Pat, I didn't know you were a G**** fan. You probably eat pineapple on your pizza too. You should maybe get some counseling. :lol:

Bite your tongue! Pineapple on pizza is darn near Commie, man! :lol:

And yes, love my Glocks. Not a fan though, just a user of perfection. :rolleyes:

That oughta get somebody going, eh? Eh? Eh? 
image.jpeg.0b57a1162a8b1dc012b9cb6ede8107b3.jpeg

I wish G**** pistols fit my hand. The grip angle cants the front sight very low. It's an effort to keep it raised and sighted for me. 

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

I wish G**** pistols fit my hand. The grip angle cants the front sight very low. It's an effort to keep it raised and sighted for me. 

It seems that is the biggest complaint by some folks. For me the angle is just fine. I always had issues with 1911s until I installed the arched mainspring housing. That made it a little better. I shunned Glocks for years then one day I got invited to an IDPA match. I had given my only 1911 to my daughter. The guy loaned me a Glock 17 and I liked it and I did pretty good at the match for a newcomer. I have had Glocks ever since.  

Archived