SASS Wire Forum

Police Service Six

Dirty Dan Dawkins

Bought one of these today. Has Pachmayer grips, fills my hand nicely. Double action is about like any, but smooth. Single action trigger is about perfect to me. A little play in the bolt, but not bad and no worse than my Bisley 44 mags with Belt Mountain base pins. 

I don't feel I paid too much for it compared to the $600 to $800+++  Rugers on display. There was an Sp101 there for $100 more, but I did not like the way it fit my hand. Would prefer modern sights, but thought I'd paint the box milled out behind the fixed rear in white and paint the front serrated sight in orange. 

Any sight paint ya'll prefer?

I know this is out of production. Any parts I should look for? Bolt, transfer bar and pawl come to mind. Of course, a competent smith could likely make these.

The quest for 44 special woods gun has led me to a $1000 dollar or more dead end. I think this will do just fine. Lighter than my OMVs and fills my hand better than my NMVs.

Now for a holster! Huzzah!

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

Big brother to my Ruger Speed Six.  I've had a dozen Security Six, Service Six and Speed Six revolvers over the years.   I've taken a vow to not let my current Speed Six get away from me.  Ruger no longer offers repair on them, so if you break a part, it's off to Numrich Arms, or have someone make it for you.  They are tanks, though.  I've never broken one in all the years I've been shooting them.

speed six after.jpg

Sweet! .357 I assume? I've never painted a front sight, can't advise. Funny thing about wheelguns, a few years ago you couldn't give 'em away, now they're stupid expensive. I keep a 2 1/2" S&W M-19 in my bug out bag with a variety of ammo. ITSHTF a good .357 will be hard to beat. Enjoy!

JHC

Years ago I found a pristine USED 4 inch blue Smith 19 in a pawn shop at a good price. I needed another .357 like a hog needs a sidesaddle, so I passed it up. Been kicking myself in the @$$ ever since.

JHC

sad clown.jpg

Okay, clean the areas to be painted with alcohol and q-tips. Get some white nail polish and the most obnoxious bright green or red nail polish you can find. Use the white first, let it dry, then use the bright color on the front sight.

4 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Years ago I found a pristine USED 4 inch blue Smith 19 in a pawn shop at a good price. I needed another .357 like a hog needs a sidesaddle, so I passed it up. Been kicking myself in the @$$ ever since.

JHC

sad clown.jpg

My dad used to say that and I'm the only other person I know who still does.  Where'd you pick it up?

1 hour ago, DeaconKC said:

Okay, clean the areas to be painted with alcohol and q-tips. Get some white nail polish and the most obnoxious bright green or red nail polish you can find. Use the white first, let it dry, then use the bright color on the front sight.

One of the perks of having a teen age daughter (when Desert Scorpion still was) was she always had a supply of obnoxious bright fingernail polishes.

After she moved out - I had to buy my own and found that the "Teen Fashion" stores (Hot Topic, etc) at the mall had much better (read brighter, glow in the dark, etc.) choices than the local Walgreens.

My model 28 Smith is magna-ported and discolors the front sight quickly - this gun is the one where I began using fingernail polish regularly to "tune up" the sight picture during PRC competitions.

13 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Sweet! .357 I assume? I've never painted a front sight, can't advise. Funny thing about wheelguns, a few years ago you couldn't give 'em away, now they're stupid expensive. I keep a 2 1/2" S&W M-19 in my bug out bag with a variety of ammo. ITSHTF a good .357 will be hard to beat. Enjoy!

JHC

Yes .357. I go this for $375, at a pawn shop plus tax. So, $400 something after tax. I figured it was worth that after seeing $500 prices on Gunbroker.

I need to take a chamber brush to it. Carbon rings in their form 38's.

The powder prices got me- over $400 for a keg of Varget. H4350 was $45 and the IMR powder were $38-39. Sadly, no Reloader 7 or Unique.

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My dad used to say that and I'm the only other person I know who still does.  Where'd you pick it up?

I dunno, probably from my mama when I was a button.

JHC

9 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

One of the perks of having a teen age daughter (when Desert Scorpion still was) was she always had a supply of obnoxious bright fingernail polishes.

After she moved out - I had to buy my own and found that the "Teen Fashion" stores (Hot Topic, etc) at the mall had much better (read brighter, glow in the dark, etc.) choices than the local Walgreens.

My model 28 Smith is magna-ported and discolors the front sight quickly - this gun is the one where I began using fingernail polish regularly to "tune up" the sight picture during PRC competitions.

That 28 Highway Patrolman is one sweet gun. Always wanted one, just not bad enough to buy it. .357 Mag I guess has always been my favorite cartridge. My first pistol was a SS Ruger Blackhawk bicentennial model. Second was a Colt Trooper 6 inch blue. Still have them both.

JHC

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

That 28 Highway Patrolman is one sweet gun

You are so right. I thought they were going to be around a lot longer than they were. So when I got one, I sent it off and had it converted (a very common thing to do with Model 28s).

I now have an N frame in 38/40. This is cool, because actual "made by Smith & Wesson 38/40 BN frames" are made of unobtainium.

28-238WCF.thumb.jpg.da83c4edc73633f894043e28ca4f30f7.jpg

Alas, I do not have an N frame in 357.

7 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I have two model 28s.  One has been converted to 44 special and plated, the other is still vintage 357 magnum.  This is the 44.  

m28 44 special.jpg

Ok now I want one

8 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I have two model 28s.  One has been converted to 44 special and plated, the other is still vintage 357 magnum.  This is the 44.  

m28 44 special.jpg

Love the Jordan grips! We have 2 Model 28s in our shop right now...they are torturing me to take one home...

Oh, and my 28-2, with Altamont grips.  It had Pachmayrs on it when I got it.   Thing has a target hammer (heavily checkered, .500 wide)  and target trigger (heavily grooved, .500 wide), which is a little unusual for a Highway Patrolman, but very welcome. 

28-2 altamonts ls.jpg

Security 6's have been in and out of my life from the beginning.  6  0 4- and mt current SS 2 3/4 in.   got really mad at Ruger when they stopped making them.     GW

Had one once upon a time.  A true work horse that fit within K frame holsters.  The department that I worked for required a S&W model 10, 64 or 65 and also allowed the Ruger in 4 inch. I am sorry I let this one go, it is a shooter and a keeper.   

Archived