SASS Wire Forum

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, or so saith the wise guy (nyuk nyuk nyuk), and too often I know just enough to get in trouble.

Nevertheless --

My neighbor, rest his soul, grew his tomatoes in bales of straw.

Had a wonderful crop every year.

I looked up the particulars.

I now have two straw bales in what used to be our dog run, soaked down and about to be rained upon as well.

I expect after a few days of being kept soaky wet, I'll look out in the cool of the morning and see them steaming as they break down.

Once the internal temperature drops, I'll stab in a gardening trowel, cut in a hole, add a double handful of potting soil and plant tomatoes.

I understand it works with corn and taters as well, will advise.

Have them turned so the cut stems are up, the dog run is fenced, I'll be working on my garden without having to bend over (a plus for my poor old back!) and won't have additional obstructions to mow around.

Debating whether to insert one zucchini seed into a bale: from anecdotal tales, if I do, the entire dog fence will be interlaced with hanging zucchini!

Will advise!

Give her a go. I’d be interested to see the results. 
My daughter was growing tomatoes in a bag hanging from her patio cover. It worked out pretty well. 

I've grown 'em in a five gallon bucket with holes bored in the side.
Nowhere really to hang one so I'm giving this a try.

Let us know how the Zucchini does.

I came across my Mother's recipe for Zucchini bread and I'd like to try it.

Her Banana Bread has proved to be a big hit around here.

How well does zucchini ship from Ohio to Ontario ??????

wave.gif

That's why Baptist Churches lock their cars in the summer months. Otherwise the back seats are filled with zucchinis, tomatoes and peppers!

My son did that for several years. He rigged a drip irrigation over top. It worked well for him. I don’t know much about it, so no advice except go for it.

CJ

Archived