SASS Wire Forum

He's a Big One

Subdeacon Joe

You really have to look to a bear like that. :D

Imagine strolling through the forest and you see huge claw marks on a tree trunk 16 or 17 feet from the ground…and all you have on you is a puny Ruger Alaskan .44 Magnum.

It didn’t seem so puny when you bought it, right? :lol:

Something I read one time. There was six feet of snow on the ground. Why the bear was out wandering around instead of hibernating - I don't know. But the bear is walking along on top of the six feet of snow, stops by a tree to mark his territory. Reaches up and claws the bark.

And when springtime comes and the six feet of snow melts, there's those claw marks 14 or 16 foot up the tree.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Something I read one time. There was six feet of snow on the ground. Why the bear was out wandering around instead of hibernating - I don't know. But the bear is walking along on top of the six feet of snow, stops by a tree to mark his territory. Reaches up and claws the bark.

And when springtime comes and the six feet of snow melts, there's those claw marks 14 or 16 foot up the tree.

I have seen fresh bear claw marks on pine trees in Yosemite 12-14 feet off the ground in August. The had melted in May. 

On 3/22/2023 at 10:36 AM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

How'd they get a DNA sample!

JHC

ooooh monkey.jpg

From the woods.

On 3/23/2023 at 10:26 AM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

RUG time 

CB 

Sorry but that is one that deserves to be left alone. Nature deserves to have some of her icons remain in the wild. 
I have never been a trophy hunter and gave up meat hunting years ago. To easy to kill a big bear with a modern high powered rifle. 
If you want to go one on one with your knife vs his claws I might reconsider. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

On 3/22/2023 at 11:36 AM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

How'd they get a DNA sample!

JHC

VERY VERY Carefully. :P

Actually they build a hair collector using barb wire set up in an area the bear frequents . They verify which bear deposited the hair using trail cameras. 

Grizzly Under Barbed Wire

Archived