SASS Wire Forum

9mm Cowboy gun

Buckshot Bob

SO! If they offer a convertible in 9mm and .357 you’d have a pretty versatile revolver!!

Wish I had .45acp cylinders for my .45 Colt ‘75s!!!

21 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

SO! If they offer a convertible in 9mm and .357 you’d have a pretty versatile revolver!!

Wish I had .45acp cylinders for my .45 Colt ‘75s!!!

I’d be more likely to buy one if it was a convertible, maybe next years limited edition. They always need something to bait you in the next year 

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Does anyone know if the Taylor’s Remingtons have a fp safety like the Colt copies ? 

If the Taylor is like my Cimarron, it’s got the quarter notch hammer block (not the peacemaker uberti telescoping fp).

3EBDA40D-A8A9-4C68-89FA-BFC21174BD29.jpeg

Handy choice for preppers who are stocked up on 9mm ammunition. I do have a couple of concerns about accuracy;

1. Are they using a .357” barrel for the .355” (9mm) bullet?

2. That is a long throat in the cylinder for the short 9mm cartridge. I wonder what the diameter of the throats are? Jumping from .355” to ..357” doesn’t seem like it would make for accuracy especially with jacketed bullets.

But what the hay. Josh Randall carried 45-70 rounds for his carbine.

On 3/22/2023 at 8:46 AM, Rip Snorter said:

At one point in time, Colt made a 9mm SAA for sale overseas.  Wouldn't mind having one of those, scarce in the U.S.

Funny you say that because local had one, sale pending now I see 

https://www.gunsamerica.com/962442179/Colt-SAA-9mm-factory-engraved.htm

Other than some weird caliber laws in foreign countries why would any American cowboy shooter want a 9mm?  The excuse has always been "because 9mm is cheap."  However, factory 9mm is not legal for SASS.  Any 9mm shot at a SASS match would have to be hand loaded with lead bullets.  Waste of time and effort.

8 hours ago, Seldom Seen #16162 said:

Handy choice for preppers who are stocked up on 9mm ammunition. I do have a couple of concerns about accuracy;

1. Are they using a .357” barrel for the .355” (9mm) bullet?

I emailed Taylor's a few weeks back about the TC9, and they replied they are .357", so I would expect these are too.

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Other than some weird caliber laws in foreign countries why would any American cowboy shooter want a 9mm?  The excuse has always been "because 9mm is cheap."  However, factory 9mm is not legal for SASS.  Any 9mm shot at a SASS match would have to be hand loaded with lead bullets.  Waste of time and effort.

Why is factory 9mm not legal for CAS? Factory loaded lead bullets aren't common, but they're out there. Buffalo Bore markets one, but it's too fast @ 1100 fps. I know Remington used to, because I've still got some.

Because 99.9999999% of 9mm, especially the cheap stuff, is jacketed.  It is very rare to find lead bullet 9mm.  If you are shooting lead bullets certainly it would be legal.  The point is that the main excuse for wanting a 9mm cowboy revolver is cheap ammo.  Cheap ammo is jacketed and not legal.

If'n you had more 1875s it could fill in for cheap practice with 9mm FMJ.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The point is that the main excuse for wanting a 9mm cowboy revolver is cheap ammo.  Cheap ammo is jacketed and not legal.

I know this will come as a shock to a lot of people, but there are people that buy guns that don't use them in cowboy competition. They just buy them because they're neat and they would like to have them.

7 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Not everyone that loves “Cowboy” guns shoots Cowboy Action. 

Alpo beat me to it…

I have a 58 Remington Navy, 36 caliber. I would like to have a conversion cylinder in 38 Smith & Wesson. I think that would be nice. I do not believe anyone makes one, however.

no , im not looking for a 9mm cowboy gun , i kinda get the appeal , but its bot my thing - ill shoot my reloads in my cowboy guns and be very happy , ill shoot the 0mm and 45acp in my modern guns and also be happy 

Archived