SASS Wire Forum

Rhyolite, Two Views

Subdeacon Joe

sad to see a town die , ive seen it here on a mini scale - a once incorporated town that was well known here in the 80s is now a bar that does real well but little more , its not desert - quite the opposite - sits in a swamp on a main highway between two highly populated areas within a few miles from my house  , 

oddly ive seen this is more that one instance in my lifetime here - about 40 years [never thought id stay in one place that long] - living outside the cities , in rural areas mostly , you see the darnest  things if you hang around long enough , you discover  the history , you see the present , you start to worry on the future , guess thats what puttin down roots is all about , when i moved here i was moving on from the last place i moved on from , i never thought i would settle or plant , 

looking at those photos i could see me today being there and watching it die - but i can also see my past self passing thru and thinking i might drop back by one day when the mood hit me , would hate to find it like that after seeing it like it once was , 

Rhyolite is a cool "Ghost Town" - some of the buildings have much more remaining than the picture above would lead you to expect.

Including the train station, bottle house, bank and other structures.

Additionally Rhyolite is a art encampment with spiral walkways, two story tall naked woman sculpture (cubist style), life size Last Supper sculpture (a modern take and interpretation of the last supper anyways), various metal kinetic sculptures and the like.

Always a fun trip going to Rhyolite and a mandatory stop in Beatty at the Death Valley Candy and Nut Store known as Eddie World.

Rows of candies, dried fruits, nuts, jerkeys of various animals, coolers full of water, sports drinks, "normal" sodas (Coke, Pepsi, etc.) and a large selection of obscure, weird and really weird drinks - I currently have a bottle of  Alien Snot Soda (a thick green substance) in my fridge along with some unidentified Japanese soda that Desert Scorpion bought because it was such a pretty blue color.

16 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The architect who designed that still-standing structure deserves a pat on the back.

Not too hard though. He’s probably a bit frail. :D

Archived