SASS Wire Forum

Primer compounds

Lawdog Dago Dom

According to this article CCI and Fiocchi, are the only ones making lead-free primers. It didn't say which sizes were or were not lead free, so I guess the next step would be to contact them directly.

Since some are critical of the age of articles that get posted, you will be relieved to know that this was published on March 19,2023.

If you have any questions about primer compounds after reading this, your chemistry knowledge far surpasses mine.

https://www.bevfitchett.us/chemical-analysis-of-firearms/priming-compositions.html

No info if any of the primer compounds affect Gun Skins.

:D

If your worried about the components in primers and about your exposure levels just take a few minutes to read the labels on the food you eat and drink every day, that’s REALLY scary !

No one I have known, nor read about, in this game has ever been contaminated with medically significant amounts of lead.  The sky is NOT falling.  Oh, and I include Bullet Casters.

27 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

No one I have known, nor read about, in this game has ever been contaminated with medically significant amounts of lead.  The sky is NOT falling.  Oh, and I include Bullet Casters.

A few years ago a Shooters kid did suffer some serious medical problems from lead exposure at CAS matches.

IIRC the avenue of contamination was traced to picking up and handling spent brass. 

32 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hmmm.

Kinda explains things...

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

A few years ago a Shooters kid did suffer some serious medical problems from lead exposure at CAS matches.

IIRC the avenue of contamination was traced to picking up and handling spent brass. 

And then maybe eating lunch without washing?  But yeah, lead avoiding is much more important with young people.

To answer the original post, a few companies have made lead free primers, but they are not the standard primers that you normally see and I haven't seen them in a while. The packaging made it obvious that they were lead free. They cost more and everyone agreed that they didn't work near as well. That is until Federal came out with their Catalyst primer, a few years back, that are lead free and supposed to work even better than their standard ones. They use them in a lot of their loaded ammo. I contacted them right away asking when they would be available for sale as a reloading component. They told me that they had no plans to sell those primers individually - only in their loaded ammo. This is really frustrating to me. Even as expensive as primers are right now, I'd happily pay a lot more, maybe even double, for lead free primers if good ones were available. Lead exposure from primers is no joke! 

CDC says: "The health effects of exposure are more harmful to children less than six years of age because their bodies are still developing and growing rapidly."  Last time I checked, no one at our club matches was less than six years of age, though some occasionally behave as such.

CDC also says lead exposure can cause "Lower IQ, Decreased ability to pay attention, Underperformance in school."  I'm not ever setting foot in any school again, my IQ is decreasing all by itself with no help required, and I'm TRYING to reduce my ability to pay attention to most of the nonsense going on these days.  

Oh, and VERY HIGH LEAD LEVELS in adult men also decreases sperm count, which would be far from the worst of my health problems at my age. 

Archived