SASS Wire Forum

Does this do anything for you?

Alpo

Ever since Cocktail, and Tom Cruise flipping bottles around, on television and in movies bartenders have to flip bottles.

I don't drink, so I don't go to bars. But I can't imagine the attraction of a bartender flipping a bottle over his shoulder.

Is it just me? Does everybody else think it's the neatest thing since sliced bread?

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Ever since Cocktail, and Tom Cruise flipping bottles around, on television and in movies bartenders have to flip bottles.

I don't drink, so I don't go to bars. But I can't imagine the attraction of a bartender flipping a bottle over his shoulder.

Is it just me? Does everybody else think it's the neatest thing since sliced bread?

I've seen it on television, not live.  It's called Flair Bartending, the bar version of Benihana restaurants.   Think of it as a floor show.

I rather like watching it, just like watching a juggling act.

The only time I’ve seen this the bartenders were drunk and someone asked them if they could do it. Apparently the bottles in the movie didn’t have the same pour, or I should say, shower type pour stoppers. There was booze going everywhere. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Good way to waste good booze.

NOT REALLY!!

It’s a BAD WAY to waste good booze!! :angry:

There are a few "Flair" bars in Las Vegas.

Nothing my town likes more than getting tourists drunk and taking their money - all the while providing a show so they can feel good about it when they go home.

https://www.vegas4locals.com/free-things-to-do-in-las-vegas/flair-bartender-shows/

I don't drink and detest being around drunks unless I am benefiting at a poker table - so flair shows are no personal attraction.

Never seen such at a bar, but I've seen some Japanese restaurant chefs flip eggs and do stuff that was remarkable. It's all I can do to fry eggs over easy and not break the yolk!

JHC :P

i seldom go to bars - once in a while i catch lunch and a beer with friends , never at night these days , so NO , it does nothing for me in real life but its fun to see in the movies , if , IF , i went to a bar - rather than see the barkeep flip bottles , i want to see the coyote ugly girls dance on the bar - i like girls 

yall go down the end and watch the guy flip the bottles , or go out in the alley and fight , i want to watch the girls dance 

On 3/21/2023 at 5:59 PM, Alpo said:

wrong - art imitated life.  bartenders were doing juggling and pyro tricks long before the 80s.

Most of the bars that I have been in, people go to duckin’ when the bottles start flyin’!! :o :ph34r: :lol:

Matter of fact, some of those places had chicken wire in front of the stage to keep the band from gettin’ kilt!!

6 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Most of the bars that I have been in, people go to duckin’ when the bottles start flyin’!! :o :ph34r: :lol:

Matter of fact, some of those places had chicken wire in front of the stage to keep the band from gettin’ kilt!!

Roadhouse !!!!

5 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Roadhouse !!!!

Yeah!!  Just like that!!  Used to be places like that all over the country!  Most of ‘em are gone now, cleaned up or closed down.

My band and I started out playing in places like that. Biker bars and roadhouses where, when a fight broke out, the next thing you saw was an ambulance and the cops.

That was nearly thirty years ago now!!  We graduated to nicer joints, then to some high class clubs and the college fraternity circuit, along with SASS events and commercial shows.  

We got lucky!  Some of those places gave us a chance and some of the roughest of those characters became our friends. They saw to it that, “you don’t mess with the band!” They’ve stayed with us all those years!

We’ve played a couple of those bottle juggling bars over the years.  Some of ‘em were pretty swank.  Those places last as long as the clientele goes there to “see and be seen”! Unless they provide other entertainment to draw a crowd, they either find another gimmick, change their format to provide that other entertainment, start serving good food, or they fade away.  

Good bartenders, whether they can juggle bottles or not, are critical to getting a club off to a good start and keeping it going, but they mostly aren’t enough to keep one “the place to be” for very long.

Come to think of it, there isn’t much outside of consistent quality entertainment or quality dining that WILL keep a place, “the place to be”!

Archived