SASS Wire Forum

Can the barrel of an 1897 shotgun be turned?

I have an 1897 takedown ser# 99XXXXE that when the barrel was shortened, and a new bead sight was added the bead sight was not straight but off to the left side (Done prior to my purchase). Can the barrel be turned so the sight is in the proper position without too much trouble or messing up anything? How would you do this if possible?  Other than the sight problem it is a great shotgun. Thanks Driftwood Dan

Don't have my take down 97 any more, but at the least, it would be a great deal of work, if it even can be done, which I doubt.  What I believe would be possible is to file down the current sight, peen it flat and place a new sight properly.

After peening and filing to flush, move rearward on the barrel 1/2" as well as over to the correct vertical location to place the new hole.  Get to a stronger section of metal where a crack won't spread between the old and new sight stub hole.

Turning barrel would be real tough due to having to reset the rear collar AND the mag tube hanger.

good luck, GJ

1 minute ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

After peening and filing to flush, move rearward on the barrel 1/2" as well as over to the correct vertical location to place the new hole.  Get to a stronger section of metal where a crack won't spread between the old and new sight stub hole.

good luck, GJ

LOL Joe, you was just a mite faster than me....yep KE-rect. Ain't that hard if you can drill straight holes centered.

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Turning barrel would be real tough due to having to reset the rear collar AND the mag tube hanger.

good luck, GJ

What Joe said, You will misalign everything, you would have to loosen the barrel from the adaptor to get the sight back. Another option if barrel is long enough cut it off behind bad bead and put a new one on.

Rob

Thanks for the information.  I will just leave it as is. Outside of it looking odd the 97 shoots where I point it.  I use an 87 for my main S/G and the 97 for the once and a while wild bunch.  Thanks again.  Driftwood Dan

Archived