SASS Wire Forum

Ruger .45-70 putting pills sideways through target

Buckshot Bear

The only time I have seen that there was a very minor imperfection on the inside end of the barrel.

2 minutes ago, Bull Skinner said:

Assuming a good bullet , more than likely it’s too light a load to stabilize the bullet. Up the charge.

THIS ^^^^

I had the exact same experience when I first starting out loading for my 74 Sharps.

19 minutes ago, Bull Skinner said:

Assuming a good bullet , more than likely it’s too light a load to stabilize the bullet. Up the charge.

↑↑↑ This ↑↑↑ And/or... the bullet doesn't fit the rifling and cannot be stabilized.  

54 minutes ago, Griff said:

↑↑↑ This ↑↑↑ And/or... the bullet doesn't fit the rifling and cannot be stabilized.  

Did you slug the barrel to make sure the bullet is the correct size?

6 minutes ago, Uriah, SASS # 53822 said:

Black powder?

Lead bullets?

Black powder, low humidity, no blow tube: I had the same experience with a Trapdoor rifle.

Uriah

Smokeless, lead Hitek coated 405gr. 

So, what's the load?   

Has he shot BP through this gun and not cleaned all the fouling out, really cleaned it, when switching over to smokeless?

Tried a conventional lubed 405 slug?  Almost all the 405 grain slugs shoot well from almost all .45-70. That's the standard bullet weight for last 150 years....

Slug sized to what diameter? 0.458"  or bigger?

good luck, GJ

I think they have pretty much covered it above as it's either too light a load, too heavy a bullet, an incorrect fit bullet to bore, or some sort of problem with the barrel (fouling or possibly a manufacturing defect) or possibly damage to the crown causing issues.  Chance are good that it's probably either the load or the bullet and I'd start by checking the loading against published data and then check the bullet sizing verses slugging the barrel if possible.  Good luck and good shooting to all.     

Someone who used to shoot SASS. He was having problems with his Marlin 44 Mag.

It was all over the target, also key holling.

I tried some of my loads. Same results.

Finally looked down the barrel. Barrel only had rifling about 6 inches down the barrel.

This was a pre Remington, sent it back Marlin replaced the barrel. Fixed the problem.

My experience has been a little different than listed above in my Winchester 30/30. A 130 Gr.  bullet was to light and a 170 Gr. bullet and a lower velocity was the answer.

@Buckshot Bear the golden rule for long distance shooting is only change one thing at a time.  As you said the bullet is tumbling.  Is the ammo factory or reloads? If it’s factory try another brand, if they are reloads you have to know the bore size, .001 can make a big difference.  Once the bore is known and the correct bullet is used then I’d work on the powder.  If your friend has a chronograph use it and see what the speed is compared to published loads, he may have to change the powder to get the FPS that the gun likes.  It’s a process finding what works for the gun and the shooter. 

I'm hoping that all you that're sayin' "bore diameter" really mean GROOVE diameter.  

Did Marlin make any 45-70 with Microgroove barrels? They don’t always handle cast bullets well. 

Also check barrel for leading. 

Twist on (most) Ruger #1 & #3 45-70’s is 1-20. It should shoot a good 405 grain bullet with no problems. Then brings you back to what others have stated. 
Bullet Speed

Barrel imperfection

Crown damaged

Bad bullets

On 3/21/2023 at 11:07 AM, Assassin said:

Had the same problem with some Marlin lever guns in 45-70 back in late 90's. They worked better with unsized bullets at .460 diameter.

Biggest problem with Marlins and cast bullets is the Micro groove rifling.  They were designed to shoot jacketed.  Having said that it is possible to get them to do a decent job with cast but...

Archived