SASS Wire Forum

BPCR

Cullie Halfcock

Hello out there! I’m new here and not even sure I’m doing this right. I’m eager to get goin in the sass sport! Also inquiring if anyone knows of any big bore long range shoots in or near Missouri? Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Welcome to the fun. :D

I would bet if you posted this on the Wire you would get a whole lot more feedback. 

Thanks! I may get this figured out yet :wacko:

Pat‘s correct on everything above, OLG is the BPCR man.

https://www.google.com/search?q=missouri+buffalo+runners+bpcr+silhouette&client=ms-android-samsung-nf-rev1&source=android-home&source=hp&ei=Eh0ZZLanD6mgptQP9aG-6Ag&oq=missouri+Buffalo+runners+bpcr+sil&gs_lcp=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&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp

Missouri Buffalo Runners BPCR Silhouette 

Big Piney Sportsman Club

https://www.google.com/search?q=big+piney+sportsman+club&client=ms-android-samsung-nf-rev1&source=android-home&source=hp&ei=7x4ZZJjNAZ-SwbkP2aiIMA&gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0TDbOzrVMN7Y0YLRSNaiwME9JtDA0SEpKM7RMTLNIsTKoSDU0Tkw2SDRPMrMwsEgytfCSSMpMVyjIzEutVCguyC8qKc5NzFNIzilNAgCZuhiZ&oq=big+piny&gs_lcp=ChFtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1ocBABGAEyEwguEIAEELEDEIMBEMcBEK8BEAoyDQguEK8BEMcBEIAEEAoyBwguEIAEEAoyBwgAEIAEEAoyBwguEIAEEAoyBwguEIAEEAoyBwgAEIAEEAoyBwgAEIAEEAo6CwguEIAEELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoOCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQ0QM6CAgAEIAEELEDOhEILhCABBCxAxDHARDRAxDUAjoLCAAQgAQQsQMQgwE6BQguEIAEOhEILhCABBCxAxCDARDHARDRAzoFCAAQgAQ6CwguEK8BEMcBEIAEOggILhCABBCxAzoLCC4QsQMQxwEQ0QM6EQguEIAEELEDEIMBEMcBEK8BOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToFCC4QsQM6CAguELEDEIAEUMAOWO5pYOuVAWgBcAB4AIABrQGIAe0IkgEDMC44mAEAoAEBsAEA&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp

14 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Won't load... :(

It is the download link for the NRA BPCR Rulebook. Depending how your browser is setup, it should download the PDF.

Try https://competitions.nra.org/competition-resources/rule-books/  and open the Black Powder Target Rules.

La Sombra

19 minutes ago, La Sombra said:

It is the download link for the NRA BPCR Rulebook. Depending how your browser is setup, it should download the PDF.

Try https://competitions.nra.org/competition-resources/rule-books/  and open the Black Powder Target Rules.

La Sombra

That worked ;)

TNX

4 hours ago, La Sombra said:

La Sombra

Thanks guys. I’m having a heck of a time learning how to navigate this. It shows I have a reply from Decon but I don’t see it anywhere.

I’d also like to reach out on some advice for loading black powder shotgun shells, is there a certain shot was I should use? And what’s everyone use to “glue” card wad on the end of the load?

2 minutes ago, Jason Riddle said:

Thanks guys. I’m having a heck of a time learning how to navigate this. It shows I have a reply from Decon but I don’t see it anywhere.

Deacon KC is not replying, he’s liking the original post. If you look to your right on the lower part of the screen you’ll see a small heart shape. Click on the heart and there will be 4 icons that you can click on like deacon KC did. You’re doing okay it takes a little time to learn the Wire peculiarities. 

44 minutes ago, Jason Riddle said:

I’d also like to reach out on some advice for loading black powder shotgun shells, is there a certain shot was I should use? And what’s everyone use to “glue” card wad on the end of the load?

Per the Handbook:

image.png.b40363af09a65130ced12ed30b861c80.png

That said, I prefer smaller shot in case I encounter SG targets in poor repair.  BTW, black powder means BP subs too.  Subs are often more available than real black powder.

Sorry I confused you! BTW, welcome to the place, you will find this is a whole different atmosphere from almost every other firearm forum on the web.

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Per the Handbook:

image.png.b40363af09a65130ced12ed30b861c80.png

That said, I prefer smaller shot in case I encounter SG targets in poor repair.  BTW, black powder means BP subs too.  Subs are often more available than real black powder.

Good to know, I was planning on using 8 shot, I have Swiss,Scheutzen and some Pyrodex. I’ll have to check my Lyman manual for shotgun loads. 

2 hours ago, Jason Riddle said:

I use the same size shot as with smokeless.  With plastic shells I just use the same crimp as factory;  with brass, I use Elmer's white glue to hold the card, some folks are all fancy and use the correct "water glass"... 

1 hour ago, Jason Riddle said:

Good to know, I was planning on using 8 shot, I have Swiss,Scheutzen and some Pyrodex. I’ll have to check my Lyman manual for shotgun loads. 

That shot and those powders will work.  I use the cheapest powders for my BP shotgun shells since accuracy is not a concern.  

My BP shot shells are abt. 40-42gr. 2F real BP, pink wad, 1oz. #8 shot, crimp. I use STS or AA hulls. Pretty mild and the targets go down.

7 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

My BP shot shells are abt. 40-42gr. 2F real BP, pink wad, 1oz. #8 shot, crimp. I use STS or AA hulls. Pretty mild and the targets go down.

I was about to ask if 1 oz of shit was enough. So when you guys say “Real” black powder are you referring to Goex?

Just now, Jason Riddle said:

I was about to ask if 1 oz of shit was enough. So when you guys say “Real” black powder are you referring to Goex?

Shot!! I guess I should proof read! My predict text obviously likes to use that word. :rolleyes:

Lyman handbook shows 12ga 2 3/4 

1 oz, 100 gr Pyrodex Rs, wad column .125 card 1/2 fiber .125 card.

With that said if I want to back powder off do I need to do anything different on wad column? To take up space in the hull so to speak.

14 minutes ago, Jason Riddle said:

Yes, as compared to substitutes like APP or PYRODEX.  Goex, Shutzen, Swiss would be real BP.

Thanks. Turns out so far what data I have collected on my 45-70 loads Swiss has came out the winner. I don’t have any Goex on hand, heard they are firing back up production of it this year. Hope that to be true.

20 minutes ago, Jason Riddle said:

Lyman handbook shows 12ga 2 3/4 

1 oz, 100 gr Pyrodex Rs, wad column .125 card 1/2 fiber .125 card.

With that said if I want to back powder off do I need to do anything different on wad column? To take up space in the hull so to speak.

Here is load data from an old Hodgdon brochure:

image.png.9ae02c7add4748fcb8d0cadcc9355483.png

Substitute Pyrodex for Triple 7 and you get a load that crimps well.  This is a good black power clays load but is way more powerful than needed for main match SG loads.  One hundred grains of Pyrodex is beyond what is used for main match loads.  The load suggested by EH is much more reasonable.

22 hours ago, Jason Riddle said:

#8 shot is fine and what many of us use. #4 is the largest shot allowed by SASS, but some clubs like mine have a limit of #7 or smaller. 

You can shoot any size shot with BP. 

Eyesa has given you a good load. I use a little less powder than that - about 38 grains of Goex. 7/8 - 1 oz of shot is plenty for our game. 

When using BP in the SG shot charge with also likely e a bit dependent on which way you go with the wads. If using plastic modern wads you could probably get away with something around 30-40gr and 3/4-7/8 ounce of 8 shot. I use the brass hulls, with felt and card wads. The pattern tends to open up a fair bit. I also run loads a bit on the heavy side prefering to stay close to the original loads. I run 90 of Fg or FFg black, with 1 1/4oz of 4 or 5 shot. Tried 8s initially, and was stripping paint off the plates without necessarily knocking them down. The next size available at the time was 4 that worked, and since I bought a couple hundred pounds of it while it was available, that’s what I’ve stayed with. 

On 3/20/2023 at 10:05 PM, Jason Riddle said:

Hello out there! I’m new here and not even sure I’m doing this right. I’m eager to get goin in the sass sport! Also inquiring if anyone knows of any big bore long range shoots in or near Missouri? Thanks.

Back when I lived in Iowa I'd travel down to the Bench Rest Rifle Club of St. Louis and shoot BPCR there.  They have an excellent range and it was always a good time, and they'd let you sleep in the clubhouse!  I haven't been there in some time but they still show BPCR matches being shot there.  

2 hours ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

When using BP in the SG shot charge with also likely e a bit dependent on which way you go with the wads. If using plastic modern wads you could probably get away with something around 30-40gr and 3/4-7/8 ounce of 8 shot. I use the brass hulls, with felt and card wads. The pattern tends to open up a fair bit. I also run loads a bit on the heavy side prefering to stay close to the original loads. I run 90 of Fg or FFg black, with 1 1/4oz of 4 or 5 shot. Tried 8s initially, and was stripping paint off the plates without necessarily knocking them down. The next size available at the time was 4 that worked, and since I bought a couple hundred pounds of it while it was available, that’s what I’ve stayed with. 

Thanks buckshot, I’ve ordered brass cases, card wads and fiber wads. I have plenty of powder but still have to find some birdshot. 

15 hours ago, Jason Riddle said:

Thanks buckshot, I’ve ordered brass cases, card wads and fiber wads. I have plenty of powder but still have to find some birdshot. 

So if you’re planning on using brass hulls then there are some differences you need to know.  

1. You don’t have to fill the entire hull. 

2. Folks use everything from Elmer’s glue to water glass to seal the overshot card on, personally I like Duco Cement. 

3. MagTec hulls use LP primers not 209 shotgun primers, be prepared. 

4. My personal load in brass hulls goes like this:  powder; on top of that an over powder card; then 2 each ½ inch fiber wads (non-lubricated); then an overshot card; on top of that goes the shot; top it all off with another overshot card; a bead of Duco Cement to seal it all in. 

5. Get a piece of ½ inch wooden dowel and after putting the fiber wads in use the dowel to tamp everything down.  I also tamp everything down before the glue. 

The height of the shot column/amount of powder and shot will determine your shot pattern. 

5 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

So if you’re planning on using brass hulls then there are some differences you need to know.  

1. You don’t have to fill the entire hull. 

2. Folks use everything from Elmer’s glue to water glass to seal the overshot card on, personally I like Duco Cement. 

3. MagTec hulls use LP primers not 209 shotgun primers, be prepared. 

4. My personal load in brass hulls goes like this:  powder; on top of that an over powder card; then 2 each ½ inch fiber wads (non-lubricated); then an overshot card; on top of that goes the shot; top it all off with another overshot card; a bead of Duco Cement to seal it all in. 

5. Get a piece of ½ inch wooden dowel and after putting the fiber wads in use the dowel to tamp everything down.  I also tamp everything down before the glue. 

The height of the shot column/amount of powder and shot will determine your shot pattern. 

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I thankfully have several LP primers on hand, I use them for my 45 colt lever loads. Interesting you say not lubed on the fiber wads but makes since, picked up more triple 7 2F today. Still digging and scratching for some shot but I’m almost ready to make some smoke! 

Archived