SASS Wire Forum

Rossi Puma .45 Colt Differences

drjjpdc

Hello I'm from NJ and considering buying a .45 Colt 24" barrel rifle. I found a Puma rifle that seems to fit my needs. But the serial number begins with SS on the bottom tang with Amadeo Rossi SA - Made in Brazil but no Rossi in a circle. I understand that serial number databases may not be found, but who makes this rifle? I know it says amadeo Rossi but there is nothing about it on the Rossi website. Any help would be appreciared.

I only have 3 Rossis, all say made in Brazil and are marked Amadeo Rossi.  2 .38/.357 SRC92, imported in the late 1980s by Interarms and one from 2004 imported by EMF in 45 Colt.  Two of the serial numbers are located on the front bottom of the frame, (like a Winchester mdl94) while one is located on the right side of the receiver in front of the loading gate, reading from top to bottom.  Both of the Interarm imported rifles are K 0 + 5 digits and are the two that are marked in two different locations.  None are marked with Rossi in a circle like their logo.

My circa 1995 rossi says Amadeo Rossi on upper tang, imported by Interarms on lower tang under lever Serial number vertical on side.  No other rossi markings.  My circa 2009 Has EMF on upper tang and A.Rossi on lower serial number on bottom of receiver

i have a rossie 45colt and its my "go to" when all else fails to go my way backup gun , it was once my main match gun and if i didnt like my 66 as much as i do it still would be , they are a great rifle , 

now , having said all that , im curious - just what inthe world mafe you come here to ask that ? your obviously not a SASS shooter and nothing about this site would attract you here save the 45colt connection , welcome but ive always wondered at those that visit with no real connection , 

He came to where more folks know about these rifles than probably anywhere else.

AND he quotes Shane!

Amadeo Rossi from Brazil manufactured it, several firms over the years have imported them.

For those that didn't read the link there are Puma 92s out there that were not made by Rossi. They were made by Chiappa and imported by LSI. They are not the same as the Rossi 92s. IIRC the Chiappa's build quality was lacking.

I have owned a total of six 92s, five in 38/357 and one 44 WCF. Currently have two in 38/357 and one 44 WCF.

Once slicked up per Nate Kiowa Jones instructions and loaded with rounds at the the proper OAL I couldn't outrun one of them.

Dr JJ, welcome to the place. The Rossis are solid rifles, there is always at least one of the little beasts here in my gun safe. Being in NJ, you cannot use hollowpoint ammo, so a 45 Colt load with a round nose, flat point [RNFP] is what will serve you best. You want a flat point bullet, or one with a polymer tip made for lever guns, because of the way the rounds are setting in the magazine tube. Recoil in a rifle from the 45 Colt will be mild too.

My first CAS rifle was a Rossi in 45 Colt. Later it became the rifle used by my wife when she was still shooting CAS. It's now set up for deer hunting for use by my 12 year old grandson. That rifle has never given me any problems. I still take it out now and then to a cowboy action shoot. Excellent rifle for the money.

I love my 92. At first I was going to buy a puma in 454 Casual but decided to go with a Navy Arms made by Rossi in 45 Colt instead. I shot it for 20 years with no problems or malfunctions. I just recently (2021) switched to 44 Special and got a 73. 

Archived