SASS Wire Forum

Old photos from my wife’s small collection

Utah Bob #35998

A daguerreotype of a lady contained in a gotta perch a case wearing what was called a day dress. Her broach has been colored gold by the photographer. 

And in a broken leather case is this gentleman in typical 1850s-70s garb. When I removed the tintype from the case I found a 5 cent Internal Revenue tax stamp. They were instituted in 1861 when the war broke out and were used to pay taxes on certain items such as tobacco liquor etc. They were used until the 1880s. Why it’s in the case is a mystery. I’ve never seen that before.

C2C379F2-46E3-40E3-9A58-9674BA329DD1.jpeg

1971A4F7-86C8-4463-972A-0C53637FA068.jpeg

18F77CDB-1340-4FD1-923A-3AF6F4DB76DC.jpeg

A089948F-E7E4-4626-9FC2-F04FA8D582C3.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

You don't see gutta percha much anymore; used to be a ubiquitous material.

Ans hard to find in good condition.

0F8CB786-F6A7-4519-BE9A-6DE482799DBD.jpeg

Is that handwritten date on the stamp "1875"?

Cool stuff.  Any chance those folks were family members of your wife?

I remember gutta percha as old golf balls!  Never knew it was used in picture frames.

6 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Is that handwritten date on the stamp "1875"?

Cool stuff.  Any chance those folks were family members of your wife?

I remember gutta percha as old golf balls!  Never knew it was used in picture frames.

6 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Perhaps the stamp is a souvenir and meant to date the photo, hence the handwritten date. It doesn’t appear to have been affixed to anything. Is there any indication of a corresponding stain/shadow on the back of the tintype to suggest it might have been?

I found out that’s how the tax stamps were cancelled. It’s very rare to fined one that has been rubber stamped. It doesn’t appear that thIs stamp was ever put on anything.

None of them are relatives, just antique store finds.

these are so cool , im inspired to start digging in the boxes i recently inherited from my father in law as well as what i have from my parents , it needs to be done , i fear so much of these old photos and records will be lost in the transfer to current generation - i dont think they care these days like we do/did about our history , 

i would love just one of my kids or better yet one of my grandkids to show interest - i have so much to share and im able now , might not be in the future , ive already gifted a lot of things to my godchildren , but there is so much more they dont know of their ancestors - ill put it together in the coming years , it will be up to them to embrace it , 

my grandfather had a copy of every national geographic from the depression era - he left them to me - it was only because i showedan interest in our history , they were intact - backs not broken in the 60s , they were the same when i gifted them in the 90s , i read them , i hope my godson does too , and gifts them forward , 

My Great Grandparents, George & Mary-Jane, shortly after their wedding, June 1877

George Scharf and Mary Jane Beatie parents of William George Scharf .JPG

My 2nd-Great paternal grandparents - Anna Margaretha Heinrich Graul, born 1840 in Mascoutah, IL; Frederick Graul, born 1838 in Hessen, Germany.  Known as successful farmers near Mascoutah.

CS

2ndgreat.jpg.512fb3b0d6348995bff55cda0529bedb.jpg2ndgreatf.jpg.55d9c0904afebaae4236c67bf112daf7.jpg

4 hours ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

My 2nd-Great paternal grandparents - Anna Margaretha Heinrich Graul, born 1840 in Mascoutah, IL; Frederick Graul, born 1838 in Hessen, Germany.  Known as successful farmers near Mascoutah.

CS

2ndgreat.jpg.512fb3b0d6348995bff55cda0529bedb.jpg2ndgreatf.jpg.55d9c0904afebaae4236c67bf112daf7.jpg

4 hours ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

Count:

My people were from Hessen, also; they arrived just in time to fight in the Civil War.

LL

5 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

My people were from Hessen, also; they arrived just in time to fight in the Civil War.

LL

LL: 

FWIW, what I have found about his birth is "22 Sep 1838, Rohrbach, Kreis Bergstraße, Hessen, Germany."  There is an obituary out there, but I haven't yet accessed a clear readable copy.  Some of what I know is from family oral history, no mention of involvement in the Civil War...All the stories I heard about that were from my mother's side of the family!

Archived