SASS Wire Forum

'Rare and giant' trapdoor spider species discovered in Queensland

Buckshot Bear

They’re two inches long (5 cm). Not exactly Arachnophobia sized monsters. 

Why do these guys say this crud. (below).

I’ll bet he’s never been bitten by one. 

Dr Rix said ….

"They might hurt if they bit you, but they're not actually medically significant."

14 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

We didn't....but the Poms used the outback as a nuke testing ground.....how nice of them huh!

You live in a big country without a lot of folks.  I'm in a similar area of a considerably more populated country and I find strange critters a couple of times a year that I can't find on the net or that are not supposed to live here.  There are still things to be found, not the worst thing for old guys!

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I’ll be he’s never been bitten by one. 

Dr Rix said ….

"They might hurt if they bit you, but they're not actually medically significant."

Who’s the giant here? :lol:

78F76691-EA86-4271-BD0F-CB51F42A6227.jpeg

Mate of mine got a red back spider bite on his foot the other week and he was on a drip for 4 days though at home with a tap in the back of his hand and a nurse came morning and night trying to flush the poison out. His foot was the size of a balloon and he said he wouldn't want to feel that pain ever again.

32 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Mate of mine got a red back spider bite on his foot the other week and he was on a drip for 4 days though at home with a tap in the back of his hand and a nurse came morning and night trying to flush the poison out. His foot was the size of a balloon and he said he wouldn't want to feel that pain ever again.

No wonder you guys import WWI tanks and WWII Nazi ""Super Weapons" to Australia...gotta use them against your local spiders, insects and reptiles. Jeez.

53 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

No wonder you guys import WWI tanks and WWII Nazi ""Super Weapons" to Australia...gotta use them against your local spiders, insects and reptiles. Jeez.

And... they are now buying nuke subs and cruise missiles!!!!!!!:blink:

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

We didn't....but the Poms used the outback as a nuke testing ground.....how nice of them huh!

Thanks!  I learned something new.  I never even considered where they did their testing even though I know the Brits are a Nuclear Power.  

https://www.arpansa.gov.au/understanding-radiation/sources-radiation/more-radiation-sources/british-nuclear-weapons-testing

https://www.naa.gov.au/explore-collection/first-australians/other-resources-about-first-australians/british-nuclear-tests-maralinga#:~:text=Between 1952 and 1963 the,and Maralinga in South Australia.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/14/australia/australia-uk-nuclear-tests-anniversary-intl/index.html

British nuclear tests at Maralinga, Australia | EJAtlas

15 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I’ll bet he’s never been bitten by one. 

Dr Rix said ….

Aussie code for this spider will not kill you. Rather the bite will hurt so bad that you'll just wish it did.

18 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

the Poms

That is an interesting term.  As I understand it, "POME" means Prisoner of Mother England and was a derogatory insult used by the English towards Australians, but was both embraced by Australians as a badge of honor and at the same time turned back on the Brits saying that they are the real prisoners.  Or that is what I recall Mrs. Elmore, an Australian War Bride, telling me.  Elegant and gracious lady, she was, and her daughters were all quiet stunning.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That is an interesting term.  As I understand it, "POME" means Prisoner of Mother England and was a derogatory insult used by the English towards Australians, but was both embraced by Australians as a badge of honor and at the same time turned back on the Brits saying that they are the real prisoners.  Or that is what I recall Mrs. Elmore, an Australian War Bride, telling me.  Elegant and gracious lady, she was, and her daughters were all quiet stunning.

There is a bit of debate about where and why POMMY, POM.

This is from the Collins dictionary.

Word origin

C20: of uncertain origin. Among a number of explanations are: (1) based on a blend of immigrant and pomegranate (alluding to the red cheeks of English immigrants); (2) from the abbreviation POME, Prisoner of Mother England (referring to convicts)

Archived