SASS Wire Forum

10 very expensive guns

Buckshot Bob

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wouldn’t want to own any of them, but I would like to handle and fire Teddy Roosevelt’s Colt. 

I can’t afford to own any of them. And even if I could I’m not sure I would. It does amaze me that there are enough people with that amount of disposable income that keep the market for art and collectibles going as strong as it is. I guess you can only live in so many homes 

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I can’t afford to own any of them. And even if I could I’m not sure I would. It does amaze me that there are enough people with that amount of disposable income that keep the market for art and collectibles going as strong as it is. I guess you can only live in so many homes 

Same here and I agree. 

Years ago I met a guy that paid boatloads of money to own things like ball gloves that were worn when a game changing catch was made. He had the knife of some British psycho killer in London. He had guns that were supposedly used by notorious gangsters that I had never heard of. It was his money, so he could do as he pleased. It was odd to me. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Same here and I agree. 

Years ago I met a guy that paid boatloads of money to own things like ball gloves that were worn when a game changing catch was made. He had the knife of some British psycho killer in London. He had guns that were supposedly used by notorious gangsters that I had never heard of. It was his money, so he could do as he pleased. It was odd to me. 

People bought pet rocks once, at least this makes more sense, at least to me. I guess our differences are what keeps things interesting 

The “gun that killed Billy the Kid” was in the same collection for 38 years. After that, every time it changed hands, it did so through private sales directly from one party to another.

In August 2021, the Colt came to a public auction block for the first time. Thanks to the two famous men who found themselves on either end of its barrel one fateful summer day back in 1881, the revolver received a pre-sale estimate of $2 million to $3 million.

It was sold at auction by Bonham’s for an astonishing $6.03 million, becoming the most expensive gun ever sold. It now resides in a private collection.

billy-the-kid-1536x1248.jpg

They are paying for history, and heritage, as much as anything, and I’m thankful some folks spare no expense keeping certain history alive, and can’t help begrudge the many who spare no expense in destroying it.

Archived