SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Model P Army Grips?

Blaze_Dawson

I have a set of Model Ps in .357 I bought second hand. They work great, but the grips are too small. I have XXL hands. Yes gloves are a pain to find. Apparently they have Navy grips on them. 

I want to change them to Army grips. Does anyone know where I can find some that will fit this frame? Google has been no help. Not sure if they are just rare or if mybsearch strung is incorrect. If it helps, these were made by Pietta, not Uberti. I'm not sure if that matters for parts like this. 

Any help would be very appreciated. 

Several models come with Army size grips.  EMF sells Pietta.  You can call them for parts or Taylor and Company, Cimarron or VTI.  They all have parts.

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/-Alchimista-I-c585.htm

Thank you. I'm guessing all of the Pietta 1873s have the same parts? I've only been playing SASS for a little over a year. Still learning the ins and outs of the guns and parts. Do you happen to know if they see them as a set, or will I have to buy the individual parts and build the grips? Trying to figure out if it's 3 or 4 parts to the whole grip set. 

Parts needed are the triggerguard, backstrap and new grips.  I don't know anyone that sells them as a kit.  All the Pietta 1873s are bascially the same.  Right now even finding parts can be difficult.  The parts may also come "unfinished".  All you can do is call and ask.

You've been a huge help. This was info I definitely needed. If I bug you to ask one more question. As I said, I'm still learning the internals of the guns. If the trigger guard is longer for the Army grips, does that mean I'll need the new main spring also? Looking at where it secures, it looks like the Navy spring will be too short to for the Army grips. 

Thanks a ton for all the help. 

A few things.  If they are made by Pietta, they are not Model P's.  They are Frontiers.  Model P''s is the name for Cimarron's Uberti SAA's.  Don't want you to confuse anyone when you are looking for grips or grip frames.  Army grip frames use the same main spring as the standard SAA grip frame.   If they were Ubertis then Army grip frames from the percussion guns would fit, but according to Coffinmaker that is not the case with Pietta guns.  So you would need Army parts made for the Pietta SAA guns (EMF, maybe Taylors, maybe VTI).   But Texas Red had a good suggestion, those grips by Texas Grips fit the standard grip frame but the grips are longer like Army.  That may well be less expensive than new grip frames and grips, which may still need to be fitted if they don't come as a set.

To the Fire

Don't see Pietta listed either....Long ago when researching this...Ended up sending grip frames to Henry Lance at Texas Grips, he set up to make Grips for my Ruger Single Six Short Grip frames....I did order couple sets from him....Least Blaze could call him and Check it out..

Regards

TR

Archived