SASS Wire Forum

Inconsistent primer detonation

vidette

In the last few months I’ve been noticing this crop up 3-4 rounds out of 100:

B42A5820-2BDA-4ABB-82C9-61DBD3B74108.thumb.jpeg.1a6dc1d0b7d9aa7ae1b2ca2459eea60b.jpeg

looks like the head of the primer blew clean off the primer casing and left the case in the pocket. These shells are now ruined and of course cause a new primer to get crushed in my machine if they make it onto the press

any ideas what causes this? My load data and all the ammo components have not changed in years. I’m using relatively new (7-10 times fired) starline brass, 3.1 titegroup, federal 100s, 105gr coated bullets. 

im wondering if the quality of federal primers has taken a dive?

Are you finding them after resizing and depriming.

If so the decapping pin may be punching our the center. I have not seen in 38 however, I have had the happen loading 223. - Mostly once fired with crimped primers, but I have had some after a couple of reloads.

Jim

10 minutes ago, Jim Brown said:

Are you finding them after resizing and depriming.

If so the decapping pin may be punching our the center. I have not seen in 38 however, I have had the happen loading 223. - Mostly once fired with crimped primers, but I have had some after a couple of reloads.

Jim

I’m noticing this after depriming but honestly I haven’t been inspecting all primer pockets before tossing the brass in the casefeeder so I’m not 100% sure. 

If it is the depriming pin, that makes sense but I wonder why it just started happening. I’ll pull it out and give it a good cleaning. 

What brand of primer are you using?

How are you cleaning your cases?

I have seen this before in 38 special cases. What is happening is corrosion is occurring between the primer and the  primer pocket.

This usually occurs when you fail to ensure wet brass is completely dry before storage.

11 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What brand of primer are you using?

How are you cleaning your cases?

I have seen this before in 38 special cases. What is happening is corrosion is occurring between the primer and the  primer pocket.

This usually occurs when you fail to ensure wet brass is completely dry before storage.

I was going to give this response.  Wet case and corrosion- This is primarily what I have seen in 223 that has been previously reloaded (crimp removed). 

The decap pin is fine- problem is primer to case

Jim

3 hours ago, vidette said:

Ah, good catch. I use wet tumbling and typically let the cases air dry for 3-4 days. I’ve never had a problem but maybe winter months are different. 

Deprime before wet tumbling. 

Dry on a towel, with a fan to help.

I experienced the same issue. Wet tumble the brass and allow several days to air dry. Primers would stick in the primer pocket and the pin would knock the bottom out of the primer. Also had a few rounds fail for work.

Invested in a case dryer, looks like a food dehydrator. Works very well and in a few hours cases are dry.

you would be very surprised how long moisture can remain in the bottom of a shell case.

Don't use strong acids in the wet tumbling solution.   That accelerates any corrosion between the primer and the case head.  Sulfamic acid in Lemishine is a commonly used tumbling additive, that is a weak acid.  Vinegar is a weak acid, but also corrodes brass.   If you use those or other acids, be SURE to limit time cases spend in solution to about 15 minutes, and thoroughly rinse the tumbling solution off with clean water.  

In the winter, lower air temperatures increase the time for cases to dry after wet tumbling.  I'd consider warm-drying the cases, as noted above.

good luck, GJ

May not be worth it, but you can use an automotive seal remover to pop the ring out.  I also say corrosion from not getting them dry enough before storing.

Wet tumbling pistol cases is one of the silliest things to have come out in the last 10 or so years.    It is a PITA and does nothing to improve performance.    Others have identified your problem...corrosion.   

So much easier to buy a cheap timer and use 20/40 corn cob media with a bit of liquid car wax for a couple of hours.   Or add this stuff:

Tumbler Additive (flitz.com)

$30 of Flitz will last over a year for most shooters and cut your cleaning time in half.  

You need to decide if "pretty" brass is worth the effort/time to wash, rinse, and dry.   I have been using the Dillon Raid Polish but going to the Flitz product.  

53 minutes ago, Coffin Filler #51633 said:

Wet tumbling pistol cases is one of the silliest things to have come out in the last 10 or so years.

Lead dust...

53 minutes ago, Coffin Filler #51633 said:

It is a PITA

No argument. And the pics do like corrosion from water is the likely cause.

I wet tumble with pins after depriming. I dump the dirty water when done and refill once with clean water and tumble for another 15 minutes. Dump the water and run the brass and pins through my media seperator. I then dump the clean cases in a bag made from 2 big towels and shake them up a bit. They get dumped onto a towel on my bench and laid flat. I have a small fan blow across them for a few hours to finish drying. This method helps me find hairline splits and reflects the light on my press inside the case to let me verify my powder charge. Pretty easy.

3 hours ago, Coffin Filler #51633 said:

Wet tumbling pistol cases is one of the silliest things to have come out in the last 10 or so years.    It is a PITA and does nothing to improve performance.    Others have identified your problem...corrosion.   

So much easier to buy a cheap timer and use 20/40 corn cob media with a bit of liquid car wax for a couple of hours.   Or add this stuff:

$30 of Flitz will last over a year for most shooters and cut your cleaning time in half.  

You need to decide if "pretty" brass is worth the effort/time to wash, rinse, and dry.   I have been using the Dillon Raid Polish but going to the Flitz product.  

Go have your blood lead levels ck'd ;)

That's why I went to wet tumbling......

42 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Go have your blood lead levels ck'd ;)

That's why I went to wet tumbling......

Same here.  To each his own, but for me wet tumbling (no pins) is just easier.  I rinse a few times using my media separator from when I was dry tumbling to drain the brass, toss it in a cardboard box, set it out in the sun for a while and it's good to go. 

5 hours ago, Coffin Filler #51633 said:

Used a Dillon walnut shaker for years.  Got tired of inhaling all that dust so I thought I would try a wet tumbler.  Holy sheep dip!  My brass is bright, shiny and downright pretty.  When I shove in my red powder coated bullets the loaded ammo is downright beautiful.  People at the loading table jealously remark that my ammo is almost too pretty to shoot!  The pride of ownership for spectacular looking ammo is well worth the tiny extra effort it takes to achieve perfection.  I would post a photo but do not want to blind anyone.

Still hoping my next wet batch comes out shiny!! I too like glimmering brass! My first and only batch was deprimed first and came out clean as new but not shiny like corn cob tumbling. It looks like new brass that has been sitting on the bench for a year, very yellow colored with no gleam. After the expense to go wet, I'll likely stick with it though. Also, a good excuse to add a sink in the basement!

Archived