SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Coach Gun Question

zunooo45

I picked up a single-trigger coach gun and immediately polished the mating surfaces of the foregrip and receiver. I still need to disable the auto safety and possibly lighten the lever tension spring. When the gun is cocked and the lever opened, the barrels drop free. When the gun is not cocked, the is enough resistance to keep the barrels from fully dropping. I haven’t seen much information on this in my internet searches. Do I need to polish these pins and shafts?

Opening the barrels is what cocks the internal hammers.  Why would you think that just releasing the latch would drop the barrels fully & cock the hammers?  The barrels still have to overcome hammer spring tension.

If you haven't watched any videos watch the one by mannyCA "Slicking up your Stoeger Coach Gun" Less than 15 minutes and it works. I would not do more than he does. His is a double trigger though.

I have seen vids where the weight of the barrels seemed to be enough to overcome the hammer springs tension and cock the hammers. I haven’t seen any information of shooters lightening these springs so I wasn’t sure if this was normal or not. 

Just my opinion. But feel it also depends on what shotgun.

Have 3 SKB's and they all pretty much fall open.

Have had a couple of Stoeger's and a Baikal. 

And they all needed a little assistance. 

Howdy Z,

Before you go lightening the lever tension spring, check to be sure that the locking bolt moves fully into the locking notices on the barrel under lugs. I cut just one circle from mine and it opened a little after the first shot and would not fire the second barrel. After an expletive or two I took a hard look at things and discovered that the front part of the bolt was not moving all the way into the forward lug. The lever spring is what moves the bolt forward. Some carful relieving of the surface area above the bolt let it move fully forward under the lighter spring tension. Never file or stone the engagement surfaces unless you are a trained gunsmith (I am not). But that's what worked for me.

Oh yes, The barrels still need some assistance to open while cocking the hammers.

Rev. Chase 

15 hours ago, Doc Moses said:

If you haven't watched any videos watch the one by mannyCA "Slicking up your Stoeger Coach Gun" Less than 15 minutes and it works. I would not do more than he does. His is a double trigger though.

17 hours ago, Griff said:

Opening the barrels is what cocks the internal hammers.  Why would you think that just releasing the latch would drop the barrels fully & cock the hammers?  The barrels still have to overcome hammer spring tension.

This is something that I have to explain very frequently to new shooters and also to some experienced shooters.

J.M

+ 1 to Johnny Meadows. 

I might also suggest this simple rule of machining: don't take off metal you don't know how to put back but if you must,  have a verified reason and planned result.

Blindly polishing or removing contact surfaces without verifying the parameters needed has inconsistent results, sometimes costly,  with many firearms and specifically the stoger which has a large spread of specs.

Joe West

On 3/19/2023 at 7:06 AM, John Kloehr said:

Let me see if I got this correctly

So the guy cuts coils off the lever spring. Indiscriminately polishes surfaces that affect the head space. Proceeds to demo how smooth the action is with the hammers cocked. Yet when he pulls the triggers the barrels require him to manually open them to overcome the force of the hammer springs.

Despite the obvious fact the gravity alone will not open the action and the hulls hanging up on the breach face because the action doesn't open far enough; he brags about how wonderful his action job is. :wacko: :wacko:

I you ask me the guy is in the wrong line of work. His verbal skills would make him a shoe in for used boat salesman of the year.

I think I have mentioned in my Sordid past, I get a kick out of some of the Suddenly Know-It-ALLs who discover how to post on You Boob and suddenly become an Expert.  An Ex is a Has-Been and  a Spert is merely a Drip under Pressure.

PLUS ONE for Sedalia Dave.

MannyCA is a self aggrandizing clown.

Reminds me of this bozo. Watch how he removes the bolt pivot pin from this 1887. :wacko: :(

Starts at 2:45

This is the proper way to remove it.

Unless you need to remove the firing pin there is NOTHING on an IAC or Norinco 1887 that requires a hammer and a punch for disassembly.

Archived