SASS Wire Forum

Bodie California

Subdeacon Joe

8 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Wonder if the resident state park ranger is there?:unsure:

There are some tracks in the snow.

Likely the drone operator.

Bodie, California is one of the ghost towns on my ghost town bucket list. Very cool pictures. Thank you for posting.

2 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Wonder if the resident state park ranger is there?:unsure:

There are some tracks in the snow.

There is a small winter staff there 

From their March 7 FB post:

A National Guard helicopter came to Bodie this week to check on park staff and drop off a satellite phone to supplement the park's communications options. The same helicopter also went south to drop off supplies for the snowbound community of Mono City. For those of you who have been asking, Bodie's winter staff is fine; plenty of food and supplies, and beautiful icicles. The park has six to seven feet of snow on the level and wind-produced drifts which are much higher. 

Photos courtesy of Eric Draper and Ryan Randar, California State Parks.

FB_IMG_1679183830087.thumb.jpg.ac110706ede97c457caf276411ba8c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1679183842316.thumb.jpg.09ffb284d6a96d694b321551ee881271.jpg

FB_IMG_1679183848964.thumb.jpg.d9d591c61981d28ff8454359113572b3.jpg

The wife and I rode our Goldwing the 6 miles of washboard dirt road to Bodie back around 2003 or so, Fascinating place. Got a mini tour from the Ranger. Favorite story was that some of the residents, when they got one of the first electricity grids in the state, weren't sure if the electricity would follow the wires around corners!

electrification of Bodie.

OK i knew it was out of the question but id gladly visit wyoming not so much calif , , but then ill not go to NY or a good number of other new england areas as well as only a couple locations in IL that are damn near all conservative rednecks and a few SASS members :>} im heading there next fall 

Can you imagine a winter like that back when the town was active with gold miners in the 1870s? 

Those folks were TOUGH!

If you didn't take enough time away from gold mining to store and protect stove wood, you simply couldn't survive the winter.   

I often wonder how much gold a guy could have accumulated back then if he had a chainsaw and hydraulic splitter!  (And no Gavin Newsom to make them both illegal).  

You'd probably get yourself killed protecting it.  

Bodie is definitely a place that every cowboy shooter should visit before designing shooting stages and props.  It's the real thing, preserved.  

11 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Can you imagine a winter like that back when the town was active with gold miners in the 1870s? 

Those folks were TOUGH!

If you didn't take enough time away from gold mining to store and protect stove wood, you simply couldn't survive the winter.   

I often wonder how much gold a guy could have accumulated back then if he had a chainsaw and hydraulic splitter!  (And no Gavin Newsom to make them both illegal).  

You'd probably get yourself killed protecting it.  

Bodie is definitely a place that every cowboy shooter should visit before designing shooting stages and props.  It's the real thing, preserved.  

The miners were beyond tough, they, for the most part, were living in TENTS! I can't see me living in a tent, at 8,400', with 6-8' of snow on the ground.

16 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Those folks were TOUGH!

On one visit in the mid-'70s I was poking around in the dump and found a piece of scrap metal.  It was about 1/4" thick and a touch over 12" wide.  There were 1/4" cold chisel marks in it were two 12" rounds had been cut out of it.  That brought home to me just how physical life was, and is. 

I sort of wish I had highgraded it back then.  But I'm glad I didn't, seeing it may cause others to contemplate what life was like without our power tools.

Archived