SASS Wire Forum

Good thing I had the urge

Alpo

Long about 9:00 I made a pot of coffee. Poured me a cup. About 9:30 I got another cup, and turned the pot off.

About 11:30 I got the urge for another cup. Walked out there wondering if it was going to still be warm enough to drink or if I was going to have to Nuke it. The green light was still on. Apparently I had not turned the pot off 2 hours previously.

Good thing I got the urge for that third cup, or that burner would have been cooking all night long. Probably have a 1/4 inch of tar in the bottom of the pot tomorrow. If the pot didn't break from getting too hot because there was nothing in it to absorb the heat.

I remember leaving in the morning for a cowboy shoot and half way there I suddenly got the thought that I didn’t shut off my coffee pot. I called my neighbor next door and asked if she could check it out. (She had a key to my house) Well, yessiree Bob I left it on!! I don’t know what made me think of that but I’m sure glad I did!:)

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I might toggle it back on a few times

Y'know, I've wondered about that.

You turn the pot on and it heats up the water in the reservoir and it also turns on the hot plate. You get you a cup of coffee and you turn it off. 2 hours later you want another cup of coffee so you go out and turn it back on, which turns the hot plate on, warming up the coffee that's still in the pot. But does it also turn on the heater in the reservoir? Because since there is no water in the reservoir the heater should soon self-destruct.

Or does it have a sensor letting it know there is no water in the reservoir, so turning it on only activates the hot plate?

I had a Bunn. It has two switches. One turns on the power, and the other turns on the hot plate. If you don't have the power turned on you can't turn the hot plate on. But if the power is turned on, the heater is going in the reservoir. So you need to have the reservoir full of water before you turn the power on. And it tells you in the instructions not to let the reservoir run dry because that will damage the heating unit.

Boy they went up in price. First one I bought was $35. The ex took it when she left. Next one was still $35. It gave up the ghost 15-20 years later. I went shopping for a third one. They're $150. :o

34 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Or does it have a sensor letting it know there is no water in the reservoir, so turning it on only activates the hot plate?

In most drip coffee makers the heating element for the plate and the water are the same.  

https://home.howstuffworks.com/coffee-maker.htm

4 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I dont like coffee so "no worries, mate"

Imis

Same here, I understand wanting the caffeine, but I generally don’t drink anything hot and the taste is just bad, unless I add enough stuff to it where it’s not coffee anymore 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Same here, I understand wanting the caffeine, but I generally don’t drink anything hot and the taste is just bad, unless I add enough stuff to it where it’s not coffee anymore 

I survive on Coffee , Copenhagen . You dont want to remove either from me , Its not the caffeine as well dont effect me . I have to have something to drink constantly , courtesy of the chronic cough side effects of the Athrax series . Warm liquids help better  

9 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

I survive on Coffee , Copenhagen . You dont want to remove either from me , Its not the caffeine as well dont effect me . I have to have something to drink constantly , courtesy of the chronic cough side effects of the Athrax series . Warm liquids help better  

Never liked coffee so I never got addicted to it, and I gave up skoal in 96. I had chewed since I was 16, it was a difficult habit to break 

5 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I dont like coffee so "no worries, mate"

Imis

My riding Pard is a tea man and I'm a Coffee lover, so when we camp out, I have to have the perc going AND water for his tea.

Except when Rooster, TG is with us, then I have to triple up on the amounts of coffee.

Good pards to ride the river with though, so I'll keep 'em both.

IMG_2574.JPG

This morning I made a pot at 8:00. Drank two cups. About 11:00 or so I looked at the empty cup sitting next to me, and picked it up to take it out to the kitchen, thinking as I went, "Well, did I actually remember to turn the damn thing off this time?"

Yes I did. I'm improving.

1) The Navy runs on coffee, and so do I!

2) My pot has that separate switch for the hot plate. Never saw fit to turn it on. I've had to clean out glass pots with that quarter inch of tar in the bottom.

3) Oh look, a squirrel!

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

. I've had to clean out glass pots with that quarter inch of tar in the bottom.

Salt and ice cubes does a wonderful job.

Archived