SASS Wire Forum

A subject that just occurred to me

As I entered my previous message I realizes that I spend an awful lot of time doing laundry (including some rare ironing), washing dishes, and grocery shopping.   I have a house keeper come around once a month to do the floors, bathrooms, and kitchen because 1. I can't handle it myself and 2. I don't want to.

As a have become a bachelor I've become a decent cook and have always a good baker, but I  don't enjoy it much any more.  Once in a while I'll ratchet it up (like Turkey tetrazzini, broiled asparagus shoots,  a a baked potato with extra sharp block cheddar cheese, pickled beets from a jar, and a chocolate lemon pie last night) and put together a real meal, but usually it is easy, small portion, survival fare.

My little dog loves it when I cook because she is my in house taste-tester ad left-over cleaner upper.

How do other bachelors spend their time?

51 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

As I entered my previous message I realizes that I spend an awful lot of time doing laundry (including some rare ironing), washing dishes, and grocery shopping.   I have a house keeper come around once a month to do the floors, bathrooms, and kitchen because 1. I can't handle it myself and 2. I don't want to.

As a have become a bachelor I've become a decent cook and have always a good baker, but I  don't enjoy it much any more.  Once in a while I'll ratchet it up (like Turkey tetrazzini, broiled asparagus shoots,  a a baked potato with extra sharp block cheddar cheese, pickled beets from a jar, and a chocolate lemon pie last night) and put together a real meal, but usually it is easy, small portion, survival fare.

My little dog loves it when I cook because she is my in house taste-tester ad left-over cleaner upper.

How do other bachelors spend their time?

I have 3 meals in my bachelors pad, Frozen, Microwave and Take out :lol:

I do my own laundry and do some light cleaning but like you I have a nice lady that comes here once a month to do the heavier stuff, bathroom, floors etc. 

I do cook some simple meals, pasta, chicken in the oven etc.

When I was between wives, my cooking "skills" were pretty much limited to Hamburger Helper, and getting a cheap piece of cow from raw to not raw. I'd add a can of vegetables and a can of potatoes, and that would be enough to stave off starvation for a day or two. 

I also got good at warming up a can of beef stew or chicken and dumplings. For variety, I'd boil up a package of beef Raman, and add it to the stew. 

On rare occasions, I would make my spaghetti. That's an all day affair which I still do occasionally, (holidays, birthdays, or because my wife wants it).

I ordered out a couple days a week, because I really don't like to cook. I was extremely fortunate to find a women who does, and does it well. 

Simple fare here; omelets or ham and eggs for b'fast, might broil a hunk o' meat for supper.  Lots of salads.  

About the only time I'll cook a real meal is when Sassparilla Kid comes around - anywhere from once a week to once a month.  Then, I'll make up a large batch of something and plan on noshing on leftovers for a while.  Might even make enough to freeze a bunch.  Or not, if we do steaks - one meal worth then.

I enjoy baking, and I'm good at it - but I'm not allowed to eat that which I bake.  That said, I am doing a good job of controlling my A1C by severely limiting sugars and carbs; this week it tested at 5.6, and the doc reduced my metformin dose to 1 tablet per day.  Booooring....!!  :(

No dog; the cats are too picky for leftover scrounging, although they do have begging down to a science... and  love (and demand!) tidbits of meat and cheese.

Since my wife passed HARD doesn't describe it. After working a 10 hour day I don't feel like cooking, Planning is hard as my work schedule can swap from days to nights with little notice. Try really hard not to eat out more than necessary as it is expensive. We have a full kitchen where I work, so breakfast is usually a toasted ham, egg and cheese sandwich. Lunch tends to be a microwave meal. For supper I tend to either cook dishes that create left overs that are easy to reheat.  On non-workdays breakfast is sausage, eggs, and toast. Saturdays are match day, after the match many of us share an extended meal. 

I am a good cook and a fair baker but cooking for one sucks. 

My wife passed in ‘09, her mother and my mother in ‘10. I hired Nicole who came to clean every two weeks, in ‘11 her dad called and said she died in a car accident.  Dayumm.  

somewhere in there I heard the question, “what is the number one thing a man can do to impress a woman?”  A: Learn to cook! I watched Worst cooked in America and learned there’s a whole bunch of things between pick up a knife and take it out of the oven.

Anyway, I did learn to cook. If you ever want to go down this boulevard (it’s not a road, trust me) choose classes with hands on learning, never a “watch me” class.  After that I had about 1000 hours of culinary training, I have won four cooking competitions. I had a good time learning. Did I meet women, yes but none for a life long (the rest of it anyway) commitment.  I taught women on four continents how to cook, can’t teach men, they usually know everything already.

I'm going to come at this from a different direction. I'm not single, but I've been doing pretty much all of the cooking, at least for supper, since long before I retired, mainly because I was generally the first one home every night. My wife usually eats breakfast and lunch with her mom to make sure that Mema eats more than just some cereal or something. Now that I'm retired, I'm home even more, working on projects, etc. I love to cook and bake. I've also been doing the keto diet, or at least a modified form of it, for about five years, so I experiment with different low carb recipes as often as I get the ambition to do so.. I also like to experiment with recipes, or at least food styles, that I see on the multitude of cooking contest shows that I watch on TV.

Supper around here can be anything from a piece of dead cow done in the crock pot accompanied by a veggie of some sort ranging from sauteed broccoli to my world famous cauliflower mash to enough taco meat to last for several days worth of tacos. We live on a cow ranch and raise our own beef so we have a variety of meat cuts in the freezer. Summertime is sometimes steak and some sort of veggie like zucchini or other squash, or cream cheese stuffed jalapeno or other peppers on the grill outside. Wintertime we often do our own version of a charcuterie tray: Italian dry salami, various cheeses, pepperoncini peppers and low carb crackers of some type with my (world famous) onion dip.

On 3/17/2023 at 4:22 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I enjoy baking, and I'm good at it - but I'm not allowed to eat that which I bake.  That said, I am doing a good job of controlling my A1C by severely limiting sugars and carbs; this week it tested at 5.6, and the doc reduced my metformin dose to 1 tablet per day.  Booooring....!!  :(

There are some really good low carb baking recipes on the Interweb. Everything from muffins to cookies to cinnamon rolls. Subbing monkfruit in its various forms for sugar and baking with almond flour and coconut flour is a good way to reduce carb and sugar intake.

Archived