SASS Wire Forum

Ruger 44-40 Cylinder...LOST

Dash Caliber

So.... if by reason of total and complete old person stupidity you found yourself in the situation where you needed to replace a missing cylinder on one of your prized and sorta rare Ruger Old Model Vaquero 44-40 cylinders...What Would You Do??...Keep in mind that cursing, crying and yelling at God are options that have been exhausted. I have called an outfit in New Mexico that advertises replacement cylinders but got no answer and I do not know if they are in business or even alive for that matter. I try to stay off the Wire and keep my opinions to myself, but I do concede there is a lot of knowledge on the SASS Wire and I am hoping to access it. Any and all guidance will be appreciated

I have tried Ruger and they told me that they no longer sell the 44-40 Cylinders.

18 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I would look on EBay and buy a 9mm or .357 cylinder and have it bored out and rechambered.

I second this.

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I would look on EBay and buy a 9mm or .357 cylinder and have it bored out and rechambered.

You need to check the length of the cylinder first. IIRC, Ruger made the cylinders different lengths for different calibers. Ruger didn't want someone putting a .44 cylinder into a .357 revolver.

5 minutes ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

You need to check the length of the cylinder first. IIRC, Ruger made the cylinders different lengths for different calibers. Ruger didn't want someone putting a .44 cylinder into a .357 revolver.

The 9mm single action cylinders come from 9mm/.357 convertible single action revolvers.  If they were different lengths they would not be convertible.

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I third this ^^^^

24 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The 9mm single action cylinders come from 9mm/.357 convertible single action revolvers.  If they were different lengths they would not be convertible.

You misunderstand. Of course, the 9mm cylinder and .357 cylinder will be the same length. However, a 9mm cylinder may not be the same length as a .44-40 cylinder.

1 hour ago, Doc Moses said:

Assuming you tried Borchardt Rifle company in New Mexico.

Yes Sir,  Perhaps they do not work on Friday. I got no answer. Does anybody know if they are active?

Try putting a WTB ad on the Ruger Forum, They come up for sale once in a while.

https://www.rugerforum.com/

I was unable to get a 44-40 cylinder made that would function in either of two different 44 mag Vaqueros. I explained the fit problems to them and we sent the cylinder back and forth a couple of times but without success. I gambled and sent my 44 mag cylinder that functioned perfectly, confident that with it in hand they could fix their 44-40 cylinder to work. They could not. They were very nice guys but finally after nearly two years I was refunded. 

I just thought it would be fun to have one that I could shoot 44-40 in. I would have even sent them my gun just to get it done but they said they do not have the ffl to allow that. I have no idea what percenrage of Rugers their cylinder would function in.

I have been waiting for 2 Vaquero .44-40 cylinders from Borchardt Rifle Co. in NM for over 5 years now. Sometimes they answer the phone, but so far I cannot get the cylinders or my money back.  Best chance might be with a WTB ad like was suggested above.

I have a blue 9MM for a old Vaquero . Did some checking with my old Vaqure  here is the Measurements 

44/40 cyl over all leight 197.85

Just the cyl leight 170.15

Rear bushing  size 56.15

front bushing size 43.30

9 MM  cyl over all leight 197.85

Just the cyl leight 164.30

Rear bushing  size 59.70

Rear bushing  size 43.40

Let me know if you Think it will work for you

Thanks 3x8

Numrich arms sometimes has cylinders in stock, most of the time you put your name on the list and hope for the best but at least it’s free and they will email you if a part comes in

On 3/17/2023 at 2:33 PM, Curly Pete said:

Try rugercyl.com, he shows that he makes Ruger cylinders in 44-40.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:47 PM, Doc Moses said:

Assuming you tried Borchardt Rifle company in New Mexico.

This is probably the easiest solution unless you get lucky enough to find a used one. If ya had said a uberti 44/40 cylinder I could fix ya right up. 

Any chance a super Blackhawk cylinder would fit? There's a couple 44 mag cylinders for sbh on ebay. Could have one reamed for 44-40. But I don't have a Blackhawk to see if it'll fit in a vaquero 

7 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

This is probably the easiest solution unless you get lucky enough to find a used one. If ya had said a uberti 44/40 cylinder I could fix ya right up. 

Any chance a super Blackhawk cylinder would fit? There's a couple 44 mag cylinders for sbh on ebay. Could have one reamed for 44-40. But I don't have a Blackhawk to see if it'll fit in a vaquero 

Super blackhawks and old Vaqueros drop right into eachother. Thats what I use for my 44mag/44-40 'convertable'

Archived