SASS Wire Forum

Chopsticks

Subdeacon Joe

That was kind of neat. Except that thing about the forests they're cutting down in China to make chopsticks, with a picture showing trees.

Chopsticks are made out of bamboo. It's grass. And it grows extremely quickly.

Oh no they throw away a million chopsticks made of grass a day in China. Aaaaaaaaa!!

Oh no they cut hundreds of millions of grass blades every day in America. Aaaaaaaaa!!

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have a very good solution. I can be used, washed and reused hundreds, even thousands of times. It’s called a fork. 

I could never figure out why anyone would use chopsticks!! Weird :blink:

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It’s what they have used for thousands of years. 
I know Asian folks that will only use a fork if that is all that’s available. They say using a fork is “awkward” at first. :lol: Me and chopsticks, samey-same. :D

A little history on chopsticks. 
https://www.history.com/news/a-brief-history-of-chopsticks

45 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Forks only came into use around 1600. Before that it was spoons and fingers.

Spoons and fingers make a lot more sense than chopsticks!!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Lots of people, few resources.  Add in, because of the few resources, a cooking style that has food cut up into small pieces so you don't need a knife or fork.  

The European  way, and the US is a European culture country, isn't the only way.  Heck, our Victorian/Edwardian style of clothing isn't the only style of clothing.  18th century:
image.jpeg.d6dd15c3544f0d07a96c5f22718835d2.jpeg

Just different, not weird.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It’s what they have used for thousands of years. 
I know Asian folks that will only use a fork if that is all that’s available. They say using a fork is “awkward” at first. :lol: Me and chopsticks, samey-same. :D

A little history on chopsticks. 
https://www.history.com/news/a-brief-history-of-chopsticks

From the article:

"As a vegetarian, he believed that sharp utensils at the dinner table would remind eaters of the slaughterhouse. He also thought that knives’ sharp points evoked violence and warfare, killing the happy, contended mood that should reign during meals."

As a lad, I don't think there was a single time when chopsticks did not become swords after the meal.  They came in sets for a reason, dualing.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Lots of people, few resources.  Add in, because of the few resources, a cooking style that has food cut up into small pieces so you don't need a knife or fork.  

The European  way, and the US is a European culture country, isn't the only way.  Heck, our Victorian/Edwardian style of clothing isn't the only style of clothing.  18th century:
image.jpeg.d6dd15c3544f0d07a96c5f22718835d2.jpeg

Just different, not weird.

I just think the idea of grabbing food pieces with two sticks is weird! Yea it's different but it's also weird! IMHO:blink:

I have enough trouble with a fork. Just imagine trying to pick up peas or corn with a couple skinny sticks!

4 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I have enough trouble with a fork. Just imagine trying to pick up peas or corn with a couple skinny sticks!

That’s when chopsticks become scoop shovels. 

To be honest I can’t stand watching Asians eat. To them it’s normal but to me they have terrible table manners. Any lady that can eat using Asian eating utensils and still look elegant doing it is a rare thing. I have seen it but only a couple of times. 

When I go to a true Chinese restaurant I will use what is available to eat with because often they have no forks, knives or spoons. But I have no problem asking for them and using them. 

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That’s when chopsticks become scoop shovels. 

To be honest I can’t stand watching Asians eat. To them it’s normal but to me they have terrible table manners. Any lady that can eat using Asian eating utensils and still look elegant doing it is a rare thing. I have seen it but only a couple of times. 

When I go to a true Chinese restaurant I will use what is available to eat with because often they have no forks, knives or spoons. But I have no problem asking for them and using them. 

I have a folding camping knife fork and spoon in my car, I would get that or better yet just leave if they have no spoons or forks!:lol:

We even bring our own hardware to shoot banquets! Plastic shards broken in my food is annoying!

16 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

We even bring our own hardware to shoot banquets! Plastic shards broken in my food is annoying!

Good idea!!!B)

Plastic utensils are much much worse.  As are Plastic drinking straws.  I/we make it a point to always carry our own utensils with us when we travel anywhere.  Some of our utensil sets are also Bamboo.  Washable and reusable infinitely.

18 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just think the idea of grabbing food pieces with two sticks is weird! Yea it's different but it's also weird! IMHO:blink:

That's only because you're not used to it, "consuetudo pro lege servatur".  If you grow up with it you would think forks are weird.   Chopsticks have been around for what, about 2,500 years longer than forks as eating tools? 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Plastic utensils are much much worse.  As are Plastic drinking straws.  I/we make it a point to always carry our own utensils with us when we travel anywhere.  Some of our utensil sets are also Bamboo.  Washable and reusable infinitely.

I have one of these in my haversack:

71834118_700-500x5001.jpg.e752da41488d7b1df0c110c7ad5bbe2c.jpg

The knife is worthless, but the fork and spoon are usable.

Or I can use my two pocket knives.

I like eating oriental food with chopsticks, especially sushi and fried rice. 
But being at heart a die hard American heathen I remind everyone….

for eating with gusto don’ forget the plastic Spork!!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Many years ago a club I belong to would frequently go to a Chinese restaurant for dinner. And we would all get chopsticks.

While waiting for the food to arrive it was common for someone to reach into their glass of ice water and take out an ice cube and hand that to the next person, and it would go around the table until it had melted. All with chopsticks.

I've been told that you cannot be considered good with chopsticks until you can pick up a grain of rice. Although that is really hard to do with Chinese chopsticks. Japanese chopsticks, which are appointed, work better.

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That's only because you're not used to it, "consuetudo pro lege servatur".  If you grow up with it you would think forks are weird.   Chopsticks have been around for what, about 2,500 years longer than forks as eating tools? 

I’m not arguing about forks, chopsticks were used before forks sure but  I’m talking about spoons and fingers and knives! The Asians used those before chopsticks. I still think they’re a strange and weird way to pick up food to transfer to your mouth! 

On 3/17/2023 at 7:55 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

You don't use the sticks to pickup peas or carrots nor rice that isn't sticky.  You get the bowl close to your mouth.  Then use the sticks to push the food in. 

Using chopsticks instead of fork or spoon is a good way to slow your eating down which allows your brain to tell you you are full quicker.  Thereby not overeating.  Of course if eating Chinese you will be hungry in 30 minutes after leaving the table.

13 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

IMO , they are not strong enough to use as spears 

and not near pointy enough 

CB :P

Chopsticks are stronger than pencils.

Have you seen what John Wick can do with an ordinary pencil???  Imagine what he could do with chopsticks.

34 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Chopsticks are stronger than pencils.

Have you seen what John Wick can do with an ordinary pencil???  Imagine what he could do with chopsticks.

Sure Hollywood Wick can do anything!:lol:

Archived