SASS Wire Forum

Blood Lead Levels

Lawdog Dago Dom

15 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I understand your theory. But any contribution to lead exposure from shotgun targets I believe would be minimal. The shotgun targets are approximately 5 to 7 yards away. Any lead particles from shot would more than likely be concentrated in and around the point of impact. If the target is a knockdown, more of the shot will carry downrange, leaving even less around the target. 

The empty shells and brass now, is another story. We handle them at the unloading table. We carry those empties from stage to stage. We drive home with them in our vehicles. We carry them out of the vehicles into our reloading areas. Plus from the moment the first primer is hit, the GSR is airborne, right where you're standing.

Even if we were shooting blanks, the GSR from the primers is there.

Appreciate your feedback, GJ.

Aren't most small pistol primers lead free now? This is assuming someone is shooting a cartridge using SPP and not LPP of course. 

Seems like some companies were releasing LPP that were advertised as lead free though that may have all went out the window with the rush on primers the last few years.

57 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i was also wondering what prompted the check by most people here ? 

i know there are jobs that require periodic checks - those all involve constant potential exposure , i have a friend who is employed in the gun industry and gets exposure on the range regularly , his company has required checks and he has had to 'sit out' till levels dropped on an occasion , i dont know what criteria they use to determine that action , 

i can see if you cast/tumble and reload a lot you might be curious , im not going to the doctor to find out as my exposure potential is very low , no worse than any time in my lifetime , 

I used to have mine checked by the phone company due to working with lead sheathed cable. Never went over 6 or 7. Recently due to smelting a bunch of old lead pipe and the breeze constantly blowing smoke in my face! Back down to 5 as of last week! Never had an issue from shooting, loading, or cleaning brass.

i can see your reasoning if your casting , i do that so seldom , basicly a few hours once a year , i have not thought i needed to check , tumbling is done outside for me and i do not stay in the same place during the process - i start it and go do other stuff like mow the lawn , come back later to remove the cleaned cases , 

i dont handle all that much lead in loading either but i have been wearing latex/nytrol gloves when im doing any activity as well as washing hands - not eating/drinking during the process 

I see  worries about adults .How about all the youngsters we see shooting at matches standing right up where all this lead dust is flying around ?

We all know lead and children do not mix well

TJB

34 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

I see  worries about adults .How about all the youngsters we see shooting at matches standing right up where all this lead dust is flying around ?

We all know lead and children do not mix well

TJB

My kids don't shag brass or reset shotgun targets.  They also don't do any reloading activities.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

My kids don't shag brass or reset shotgun targets.  They also don't do any reloading activities.

Do they load there guns at the loading table ,do they handle spent brass ,do they carry guns after they have been fired and if they are at the loading, or unloading tables they are being exposed to dust on the tables and in the air. If they ride home with you they are also exposed. Get them tested and you may be surprised. My daughter is a doctor and this is info from her.

Best Wishes   As a side note levels as low as 3.5 can cause brain damage in children ANY level of lead in minors is a health issue.

TJB

47 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Do they load there guns at the loading table ,do they handle spent brass ,do they carry guns after they have been fired and if they are at the loading, or unloading tables they are being exposed to dust on the tables and in the air. If they ride home with you they are also exposed. Get them tested and you may be surprised. My daughter is a doctor and this is info from her.

Best Wishes   As a side note levels as low as 3.5 can cause brain damage in children ANY level of lead in minors is a health issue.

TJB

I had them tested last year. I don’t remember their numbers, but their pediatrician wasn’t concerned.

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

What they don't tell you is one guy is 23 and the other 29...

Archived