SASS Wire Forum

Gunfight speed question

Two Hombres are facing off in the street.   They are approx 25 feet apart.

BOTH are shooting .45 Colt revolvers shooting their 255 grain slugs at 900 fps.

BUT, one hombre is slightly faster than the other.    How fast does the 2nd shooter need to fire his round

to shoot the other shooter before the 1st round fired hits him?

In other words, what time sequence between both shots is needed to allow both bullets in flight at the same time?

..........Widder

If they are 25 ft apart, which is 1/4 of 100 ft, and they are shooting 900 ft per second ammunition, it will take 1/36 of a second for the bullet to travel from shooter A to shooter B.

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

If they are 25 ft apart, which is 1/4 of 100 ft, and they are shooting 900 ft per second ammunition, it will take 1/36 of a second for the bullet to travel from shooter A to shooter B.

That's what I said. 1/36 of a second....wbich is 0.0277777778 of a second.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

About 1.5 seconds for the shooter #2 to draw, aim and hit shooter #1. Shooter #1 drew too fast and missed shooter #2.

Take your time as fast as you can. ( Wyatt Earp said something like that!)

19 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Take your time as fast as you can. ( Wyatt Earp said something like that!)

Festina lente  (which the Romans stole from the Greeks: σπεῦδε βραδέως) "Make haste slowly."

Have you been hanging around @Alpo again?

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Someone, maybe Elmer Keith, said something along the lines of: Get your first shot off fast and make your second shot perfect.

I know I've read somewhere that you get the first one off quickly, and the bullet flying at him will startle him - whether it hits him or not - and that allows you to take that little bit of time to aim for the second one so that you hit him.

I don't know as I believe that, but I remember reading it.

We all know about how beneficial speed can be and that accuracy can be just as beneficial, if not more so.

But I was talking about 2 folks, drawing and firing, and what speed would have to incur in order for 2 shots to in flight

at the same time..... that the possibility of BOTH participants being shot basically at the same time they fired their pistols.

I think some folks above have answered the question.

THANKS

..........Widder

22 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

We all know about how beneficial speed can be and that accuracy can be just as beneficial, if not more so.

But I was talking about 2 folks, drawing and firing, and what speed would have to incur in order for 2 shots to in flight

at the same time..... that the possibility of BOTH participants being shot basically at the same time they fired their pistols.

I think some folks above have answered the question.

THANKS

..........Widder

I remember seeing a old picture of two bullets, each headed the opposite direction, that had collided mid air. I think it was from the Civil War era and wasn't two pistol rounds that had intersected each other.

Have to wonder if anything like that ever happened though in a "gunfight".

Albert Einstein could have calculated it.

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I remember seeing a old picture of two bullets, each headed the opposite direction, that had collided mid air. I think it was from the Civil War era and wasn't two pistol rounds that had intersected each other

This is probably the one you're talking about.

NS130118_Figure01.jpg

The one I was thinking about was this one from Gallipoli.

e29e997475bbecb16a22142241b7a5df0264c66d

But apparently it happens more than you would think. Now some of these are obviously faked, but some appear to be the real deal.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=two+bullets+colliding&t=fpas&iax=images&ia=images

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

This is probably the one you're talking about.

NS130118_Figure01.jpg

The one I was thinking about was this one from Gallipoli.

e29e997475bbecb16a22142241b7a5df0264c66d

But apparently it happens more than you would think. Now some of these are obviously faked, but some appear to be the real deal.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=two+bullets+colliding&t=fpas&iax=images&ia=images

Actually, I was thinking about both of the pictures shown.

e29e997475bbecb16a22142241b7a5df0264c66d                                                                                                                                                                 These didn't collide mid air,look at the 2 bullets, one has rifling on it the other doesn't. Most likely the one hit spare ammo carried by the opponent.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:25 AM, Trailrider #896 said:

"Speed's fine. Accuracy is final! There's no second place winner in a gunfight!" - The late, great Bill Jordan, U.S. Marine, Border Patrolman, Law Officer, and probably the fastest double-action .357 Magnum shooter.

While I have the utmost respect for Bill Jordan , he was not quite as fast as Ed McGivern or Jerry Miculek.

That said , I'm sure he had more exposure to actual gunfights than either of them.

Rex :D

REX,

from what little I've read, I agree with you.   And of those 3 you mentioned, Bill would be the one I WOULD NOT

want to face off in a gun battle, especially close range.

Ed McGivern would be one I wouldn't want to have a shoot out with at long distances.

And with Jerry Miculek, I would just let him shoot all his ammo up before I engaged in the battle.

Ya see, I don't think JM can fire just 1 round.  Once he starts pulling the trigger, he's on auto fire till all the

ammo is gone.   Then is would be safer to come from behind my rock and fire back..... :lol:

..........Widder

I think Ed McGovern was before my time, and never met JM. But I did meet Bill Jordan, briefly, at a SHOT Show some years ago.  A soft-spoken gentleman. There is one story about him that does not involve his speed with a DA sixgun: It seems he was on patrol in El Paso one night, when he spotted a known drug dealer. Bill was in his patrol car, and the pusher spotted him and took off, heading for an opening to an alley.  Bill knew if the perpetrator got into that alley and he tried to follow him, he would be backlit by the streetlight. As he exited the patrol car, Bill grabbed his 97 shotgun. He racked the slide and the perp came to a squeeching halt and threw both hands straight up in the air!  There are a lot of sounds in this ol' world, but nothing quite like the sound of a 97 being racked in the darkness! :D

Archived