SASS Wire Forum

Video series for new shooters. How to do CAS on a budget.

Doc Moses

I just did a series of five, 20 minute videos on how to do CAS on a budget.  I joined at the absolute WORST time and spent way too much money getting started! (The beginning of COVID.) I wanted to give out some info for people that I wish I had had.  (Or listened to when people tried to advise me!)  If you know a new shooter feel free to point them to a video.  Intro, Rifle, Revolvers, Shotgun, Costume/Leather.  They are NOT super slick like Jedi's and some of the other CAS videos out there.  These are just informational with gun pics.  I do NOT do any demos on how to shoot.  There are good shooters who do that.  These are just on how to decide what to buy and when.  Separated into five videos so they can skip the ones they do not need to see.  Here is a link to the intro video. The others should show up as suggestions or search them. They are labeled; the Economical Cowboy.

Thanks

Just getting in to this sport.  For me ammo is not a concern I have reloading supplies to last me a long time actively shooting.  

Getting the guns and the leather is the issue for me. 

I watched the intro video, is 22lr really legal? It’s not so much the ammo but the guns in 22lr are cheeper! 

.22 is within the rules for shooters 13 and under.  Many clubs are currently allowing .22 for older shooters as well, but that’s on a club by club basis. I haven’t seen adults shooting .22s at State and above matches but it sounds like that’s a thing in some states.

Im not aware of any matches that allow adults to compete in the overall with .22s.

19 hours ago, Copper Sean O Driscoll said:

Just getting in to this sport.  For me ammo is not a concern I have reloading supplies to last me a long time actively shooting.  

Getting the guns and the leather is the issue for me. 

I watched the intro video, is 22lr really legal? It’s not so much the ammo but the guns in 22lr are cheeper! 

I have shot at 4 different clubs in East Texas and 22s have been legal at all 4 since covid. There is also a catagory for 22s at Texas State. It is a very under populated catagory because most of us want to shoot the 'real' guns...even though 22 rimfire IS authentic to the period. You can't win fastest Cowboy/Cowgirl as a 22 shooter and all adults are in the same catagory regardless of age. I hope they keep 22s. If my wife starts shooting I can see her doing 22s for a while before moving to bigger guns. 22s are a good starting place to help with inexperienced shooters and beginners needing to keep cost down while the get their big guns.

PS seeing the loads some of us use in 38s...I am not sure that 22s have any less recoil!  :)

10 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I watched all four. Two pieces of feedback Doc - lug soles are only illegal in costume categories, not across the board, and aluminum base shotgun hulls can be reloaded multiple times no problem

I did not know either if those 2 facts. Thanks!

We allow .22 adult category since Covid. Everything is expensive now, why not. I would gladly accept a new shooter with 2 heritage revolvers and a Henry .22. Those 3 firearms a total under $900 .  And ammo is easy to find or most of us have thousands of 22LR in our safe .  Probably more than we have small or large pistol primers.  I wouldn’t discourage anyone from using 22. However no help when it comes to SASS sanctioned matches. It is what it is at state, national and world levels. At some point with gun laws coming out sass may need to look at alternatives eventually. Hell biden just used executive order Tuesday to pass one. Scary crap…

Archived