SASS Wire Forum

“…and if I’m honest…”

Pat Riot

and if I’m honest…

Where does this phrase come from? I hear it all the time now in TV shows and movies. The other day I heard some ladies talking and I heard one of them say “…and if I am being honest” at the end of a sentence. Just as I thought it, another lady said “So you haven’t been honest up to this point?”

Is this phrase a British thing?

A Hollywood thing?

I just find it an odd thing to say. 

Just now, Subdeacon Joe said:

It's just a filler phrase with little, most likely no, meaning. I take it to mean blunt and not couched in polite euphemisms.

Think of the phrase, "I suppose." Means, "I have no idea, but this is my WAG." Compare to, "I have no freaking idea, to tell the truth." 

39 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

and if I’m honest…

Where does this phrase come from? I hear it all the time now in TV shows and movies. The other day I heard some ladies talking and I heard one of them say “…and if I am being honest” at the end of a sentence. Just as I thought it, another lady said “So you haven’t been honest up to this point?”

Is this phrase a British thing?

A Hollywood thing?

I just find it an odd thing to say. 

Or " To tell ya the truth".

Thanks Pards. To me it seems it became in vogue to say this in the past few years. It’s just a weird phrase to me. 

I think its exactly what Subdeacon Joe stated, and to be honest, I don't know where it started.

;)

Ya see, its used to add content to emphasize a previous statement or help justify an upcoming statement.

Here is another example:  "I believe Dr. Bottlestopper is a good man, and to be honest, I also think he's one

of the best doctors in the hospital".

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

An indelible phrase if you dare to respond when she asks if the outfit makes her look fat.

My former wife asked me that one day and I could not help myself. When she asked if her outfit made her look fat I responded by asking "compared to what?"

I was in trouble.

9 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

My former wife asked me that one day and I could not help myself. When she asked if her outfit made her look fat I responded by asking "compared to what?"

I was in trouble.

The first year we were married, decades back, so I survived, and the question was "How do you like these shorts?" Response, "Well, they aren't my favorites." 40 years later I hear about that at least once a year.

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I've been wondering about you Pat ........

:P

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Kinda sounds like Alpo, doesn't he?

Let's see:

Pat is in West Virginia, while Alpo is in Florida.

HUMMM!

Not totally beyond the possibility they are meeting half way for coffee, exchange notes and co-ordinate their postings.

Maybe we should start keeping a closer eye on them two! 

Honesty is an absense of fluffery and "soft" words.

Most of the time we are NOT completely honest because we don't wish to insult or hurt feelings.

So the "and if I'm honest" or "to be honest" doesn't mean the person was being untrue prior - but that what follows is the speakers opinion in an unvarnished, unfiltered form.

Example:

How was the shoot?

It was fine.  Targets were a little old.  Had a couple questionable misses called on me - but it happens.

The Awards ceremony ran a little long and the banquet was ok.

Or " If I'm honest"

The targets were pitted, pockmarked nightmares set on stands that were seemingly designed to send splatter directly to the firing line.

The spotters were nice enough but I felt sorry for their seeing eye dogs sitting out in the heat.  And if being blind wasn't bad enough; apparently they had all forgotten their hearing aids as well.

The awards were paper mache and macaroni pictures along with clay ashtrays made by the local preschool.

The announcer would not shut up and insisted on telling long drawn out stories and biographies about every award, shooter and board member.

And the food - lets just say that my "chicken" had grey fur and a collar stamped Fluffy.  The mashed potatos were green, the water was orange and I wasn't even aware that botulism had an expiration date.

See - same answer; just ones a bit more honest.

56 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Let's see:

Pat is in West Virginia, while Alpo is in Florida.

HUMMM!

Not totally beyond the possibility they are meeting half way for coffee, exchange notes and co-ordinate their postings.

Maybe we should start keeping a closer eye on them two! 

Now now. Y'all already decided a month or so back that me and Utah Bob were the same guy. So does that mean that Pat and Utah Bob is the same guy?

I had a fried who would almost always start his answer with Truthfully, I…..

Drove me crazy.

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Now now. Y'all already decided a month or so back that me and Utah Bob were the same guy. So does that mean that Pat and Utah Bob is the same guy?

Pat and I are not the same guy.

George Clooney and I are the same guy.

OH GOODY. ANOTHER MERGED RESPONSE!

36 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Multiple Personalities??

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Nah, Bob’s better looking. More photogenic. 

I finally shot a smiley face that looks like me. 

C0384529-8A4D-42BD-B7F4-C76A20534917.thumb.jpeg.94ee87a7ef6d8a97d7fb1936ad4694cd.jpeg

I used to preface questions with, "I'm curious,". So I said to a coworker one day, "Ralph, I'm curious" and he interrupted me and said, "Curious?? You're the nosiest bastard I've ever met!!!"

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

I used to preface questions with, "I'm curious,". So I said to a coworker one day, "Ralph, I'm curious" and he interrupted me and said, "Curious?? You're the nosiest bastard I've ever met!!!"

And here I was thinking that you're peculiar.  Or maybe downright odd. :D

“…and if I am being honest”. OK, this big long thread and NOBODY has realized (or admitted it) that just being fancy for " I sh!t you not!"

On 3/15/2023 at 4:05 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Kinda sounds like Alpo, doesn't he?

IKR!?  Did Alpo log in using Pat’s computer?

On 3/15/2023 at 5:00 PM, Dantankerous said:

I was in trouble.

Worst trouble I ever got into with my wife was the first time she made macaroni and cheese.  She asked how I liked it and a told her I didn't like it at all.  She said "well you could have told me you did."  I told her if I'd said I liked it she would have made it again.  She never did.

Next worst was when she tried to make biscuits from scratch.  I told her that I was the only man I knew whose wife knew how to make Ritz crackers.

That was in 1966 and I still wake up sometimes hearing that screech echoing around in my head.

If I'm honest is akin to saying "In the spirit of full disclosure, here's more about that".

It's a preface to saying a long wordy comment instead of a bare minimum.

IMHO,

SC

3 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

And If I am Honest :) LOL  you mean you arent ? No one has seen the two of you together 

Utah Bob and Alpo probably aren't their real names either.

Just a heads up there.B)

13 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Worst trouble I ever got into with my wife was the first time she made macaroni and cheese.  She asked how I liked it and a told her I didn't like it at all.  She said "well you could have told me you did."  I told her if I'd said I liked it she would have made it again.  She never did.

Next worst was when she tried to make biscuits from scratch.  I told her that I was the only man I knew whose wife knew how to make Ritz crackers.

That was in 1966 and I still wake up sometimes hearing that screech echoing around in my head.

When my current wife moved into my deceased grandmother's apartment (1995, we weren't married, both about 20 years old), she cooked forus.  i made the mistake of saying, "this doesn't taste like my mother's".  I got the death glare, she took my plate and threw my food in the trash.  since then I haven't dared to complain about the food.  btw.  if I'm honest, she's been cooking really well ever since, my dear Ivonne.

On 3/15/2023 at 9:15 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Nah, Bob’s better looking. More photogenic. 

I finally shot a smiley face that looks like me. 

C0384529-8A4D-42BD-B7F4-C76A20534917.thumb.jpeg.94ee87a7ef6d8a97d7fb1936ad4694cd.jpeg

I actually did that on my last KD record course In the Marines  (2 months left didnt matter to me what I scored ) But has a 8541 I did get asked about it LOL I said pull the target and look  

Archived