SASS Wire Forum

Double barrel shotguns

Texas Jack Black

Where can they be had ready to go and  which ones are the most popular and why. Also cost.

I thank you

TJB

Local club members might have something.

SASS Classifieds is a good place to look.

One of our good cowboy gunsmiths might have one ready to go.

Personally. I prefer an SKB. But they can be hard to get ahold of. And cost a little bit more than others. 

Just personal opinion, but I think the SKB is the best double for CAS and Fast Eddie is the best SKB cowboy gunsmith.  Cost?  In today's environment that's hard to say, but I suspect he's paying $1,400 and up just to get them, so probably pretty close to $2,000 for one ready to go.

57 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Where can they be had ready to go

That depends on your definition of "ready to go". Right out of the box or off the rack is certainly ready to go. Other than shells, there's nothing more to add - open the action, drop a couple shells in, close the action, pull the trigger(s), and they'll go "bang" "bang".

... which ones are the most popular and why. 

As previously mentioned, SKB is probably considered "best", but certainly not the most popular, due to the high cost involved. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Stoeger was the most popular, due to ready availability and low cost.

I believe Griner gun works may have  a couple in stock ready to go. 

Largo

A Stoeger Coach Gun is very popular and not too expensive. Unless you are trying to be the “The Fastest Gun” it should serve you well. The CZ shotguns looks good although I have no personal experience with them. I’ve had several SKB’s and they are nice but expensive. 

Long Hunter Shooting Supply would be a good place to look. Also look in the Merchant’s section on the SASS Wire. 

You will never convince me otherwise that the above all others better than anything else ever made anyplace in the world, is a Parker.

Already I can hear shouts of "Too expensive!"

Yes, a pristine Parker can cost an arm and a leg.   But if you look hard enough, some real bargains can be found.   Last year, I found a 20 gauge Trojan for $1100 in "nice" condition.   The year before that, I found a 12 gauge Trojan for $700.   Both are honest shooters, not "collector grade" by any reasonable argument.

Of course, if you want to spend over 10 grand, you can do that too, but you don't have to.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Just personal opinion, but I think the SKB is the best double for CAS and Fast Eddie is the best SKB cowboy gunsmith.  Cost?  In today's environment that's hard to say, but I suspect he's paying $1,400 and up just to get them, so probably pretty close to $2,000 for one ready to go.

I saw an SKB in excellent condition that had been done by Fast Eddie sell a couple of weeks ago and you are correct it sold for $2000.

I haven’t shot one yet but I think the CZ’s from by Long Hunter sell for $1400.

Randy

Before EOT Johnny Meadows had an skb100.  You might want to check with him.  Fast Eddie had an skb too but someone above posted he sold it.

Roper

I have two SKB’s done by Johnny Meadows. 
If I were going to buy another double, it would be another SKB by Johnny Meadows. 

6 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

You will never convince me otherwise that the above all others better than anything else ever made anyplace in the world, is a Parker.

Already I can hear shouts of "Too expensive!"

Yes, a pristine Parker can cost an arm and a leg.   But if you look hard enough, some real bargains can be found.   Last year, I found a 20 gauge Trojan for $1100 in "nice" condition.   The year before that, I found a 12 gauge Trojan for $700.   Both are honest shooters, not "collector grade" by any reasonable argument.

Of course, if you want to spend over 10 grand, you can do that too, but you don't have to.

Heresy! Everybody that is correct knows LC Smith is better. I've also chased a few fine Foxes but came up short on most. Sadly I've parted ways with almost all of my doubles with the exception of cowboy guns. I have one crown grade LC single barrel trap left. Made 1919 and is #1 of 5 with 34" barrel. She's pretty and handles like a prom date. 

28 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Heresy! Everybody that is correct knows LC Smith is better. I've also chased a few fine Foxes but came up short on most. Sadly I've parted ways with almost all of my doubles with the exception of cowboy guns. I have one crown grade LC single barrel trap left. Made 1919 and is #1 of 5 with 34" barrel. She's pretty and handles like a prom date. 

LC Smith did make a fine gun.   So did Fox.  (I have a Fox)   Both are are int he same league as Parker, but better?   

Well, I guess now we are into Ted Williams vs Babe Ruth territory.   I mean, sure, Ted was the greatest hitter who ever lived, but the Babe was still super impressive.

21 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

LC Smith did make a fine gun.   So did Fox.  (I have a Fox)   Both are are int he same league as Parker, but better?   

Well, I guess now we are into Ted Williams vs Babe Ruth territory.   I mean, sure, Ted was the greatest hitter who ever lived, but the Babe was still super impressive.

Don't forget the likes of Purdey, Kreighoff, etc. I've got my eye on a Cashmore single barrel trap and a double. Both high grade and price to match.

As for SASS doubles, SKB by far. If on a budget, then just about whatever else you can get to "save" money and use for 2 matches until you break down and get the SKB anyway.:ph34r:

Although I have slowed my gunsmithing  business down, I still have several S X S's for sale and plan on continuing to buy and sell shotguns.

Thank you, Johnny Meadows

We had a pristine SKB 285, work performed by Johnny Meadows that sold at EOT for $1800. We have 2 SKBs, 100 & 200E, purchased from JM in 2008 that are still going strong, never had a malfunction in 15 years.

DC

9 hours ago, Black RZR said:

My Stoeger cost me $550. Shoots just fine with no gunsmith work. 

I got my double trigger 12 ga. Stoeger new in 2010 for $299. The only work done to it by myself was cutting back the auto safety rod, honing of the chambers, switched to IC choke tubes, and installed stainless steel firing pins. Shoots just fine.

I have two Stoegers, one was brand new for $450.00 a few years ago another was used for $350.00. Both had been worked on by a local gunsmith who took off the auto safety and made it manual, honed the chambers and lightened up the opening mechanism. They both work fine, no problems. 

I started this game with a Riverside Arms double.  Think Stevens 311.  I then bought an IGA Stoeger, still use it occasionally.  Bought a second one for my son, but with 26" bbls to help control recoil for him.  Recently found an second set of coach gun bbls for that one.  It gets used very infrequently as I can't get him to come shoot with me any more.  The only things I did was to disable the auto safety, honed the chambers and took a coil or two off the release lever spring.  I've since got two TTNs, one thru T-Bone with an very "light" action job and one thru Steve's Guns, one a 20", the other a 26".  Both have had the chambers honed and hammers de-horned.  That first Stoeger I purchased in 1986, and used it almost exclusively until the early 20-teens when I bought the 1st TTN.

I think the biggest problem with Stoegers is that folks "over-tune" them, trying to get their equipment to do what practice will do a better job of without removing years of life from the firearm.  

Is there no one besides my wife and me who shoot (and really like) their Browning SS ?

Neither of us has ever had a single malfunction,  never had a repair, never had any problem, through thousands of rounds. 

Pricey? Yes, but worth every penny (if you can find one to buy).

10 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Is there no one besides my wife and me who shoot (and really like) their Browning SS ?

Neither of us has ever had a single malfunction,  never had a repair, never had any problem, through thousands of rounds. 

Pricey? Yes, but worth every penny (if you can find one to buy).

Shhhh!

You'll make the prices go up. :D

I like many others started with a Boito/ Stoeger & then found a SKB 200E that after being slicked up is the best I've had...I do like the Miroku & AYA SXS

I started with a CZ sharptail I got from longhunter.  I shot it until I found an skb and got it worked on by Fast Eddie.  I had no intentions of selling the CZ but a friend who I got into shooting really liked it and talked me into selling it.  My advice is to buy one of the CZ's done by one of the known CAS gunsmiths, Longhunter, Griner's, etc.  They are less than an SKB but really close in performance.  They haven't been available long enough to have a long track record on durability but I don't know of anyone who has a problem with one yet. 

Archived