SASS Wire Forum

.308 Ammo Warning

At least four .308 rifles have blown-up in the past week.  It turns out they were all using the same ammo and the ammo was the same lot number.  The ammo is ZSR and the lot number is 015.  I did not want to try and grab a scene shot of the ammo boxes off the YouTube videos showing the explosions so I went on-line to look for the ammo.  The very first vendor I looked at had this photo on their website.  Lot 015.  If you have any of this stuff you should probably not shoot it.  The manufacturer is in Turkey and has not responded to inquiries about the ammo.

image-full-127222-b4a717710a60fe09d34830c4a0e34a93.thumb.jpg.3b3a623bda31762bea6f3a81b3fab804.jpg

1 hour ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

I cringed when that gent blew up a brand new M1A !!

Why do folks spend thousands on a  new rifle then run surplus crap of unknown specifics in it ??

Because the M1A purchase maxed out their credit cards?

They should have known. It says right there on the box - M80. An M80 is one hellacious big firecracker. As a yonker I was told that it's actually a quarter sick of dynamite.

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

They should have known. It says right there on the box - M80. An M80 is one hellacious big firecracker. As a yonker I was told that it's actually a quarter sick of dynamite.

And when I was a boy, we had all the M 80's and Cherry Bombs we could afford.  Great fun and no one got hurt.

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Not even close.  We used to get half sticks.  Dynamite is an explosive, not a flash powder.  We made m-80s with 80gr of black powder.  The old timer claimed you needed an m-1000 to be around a quarter stick.

3 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

I cringed when that gent blew up a brand new M1A !!

Why do folks spend thousands on a  new rifle then run surplus crap of unknown specifics in it ??

Were all the rifles M1A?  If so, maybe the powder burn rate is too slow?  

The only European ammo I will run in .308 / 7.62 is Norma. I will not use others. Same goes for China and Mediterranean countries except for Israel. IMI is good stuff. I guess the same goes for 5.56 as well. 

I've still got a bunch of 9mm made in Greece from years ago. Shot it in my new to me Kimber Micro 9. Every 4 or 5 FTF without recocking. All the primers have a flat deep primer dent way larger than my Federals or Hornady ammo and many are perforated. Don't appear to be over charged though and recoil felt normal. Only other gun I ever used them in was a Taurus PT 92 with no issues. Gonna stick with name brands in the future!!

18 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've still got a bunch of 9mm made in Greece

Olympic (Olympia maybe)?

I've heard that that was really crap ammo, loaded into really crap brass. I've got about a half a box of it I picked up somewhere. Going to pull it for the bullets and dump everything else.

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Olympic (Olympia maybe)?

I've heard that that was really crap ammo, loaded into really crap brass. I've got about a half a box of it I picked up somewhere. Going to pull it for the bullets and dump everything else.

Bingo, that's exactly what it is. Ran good in a Sten:ph34r: many moons back!

I had some of that. It had like asphalt sealing the bullet to the brass. I suppose that was to make it waterproof. I shot, maybe, 20 rounds of it, and then saw an article that Shotgun News about how it had huge pressure spikes, and wasn't safe. Put it aside to pull for the bullets, and it grew legs and walked off somewhere.

It was supposed to be especially bad in HK guns, because it would gum up the flutes, which decreased the diameter of the chamber, which increased the pressure.

17 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I had some of that. It had like asphalt sealing the bullet to the brass. I suppose that was to make it waterproof. I shot, maybe, 20 rounds of it, and then saw an article that Shotgun News about how it had huge pressure spikes, and wasn't safe. Put it aside to pull for the bullets, and it grew legs and walked off somewhere.

It was supposed to be especially bad in HK guns, because it would gum up the flutes, which decreased the diameter of the chamber, which increased the pressure.

That's the one.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

If I recall correctly it was of Indian manufacture.

On 3/15/2023 at 8:58 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The only European ammo I will run in .308 / 7.62 is Norma. I will not use others. Same goes for China and Mediterranean countries except for Israel. IMI is good stuff. I guess the same goes for 5.56 as well. 

The brit radford green is good stuff as well.

Maybe that Turkish stuff was meant for Russia. (Turks and Russia didn't use to get along. With Erdogan, you never know. Maybe he doesn't like us now!) I seem to recall that we would sometimes take ammo for AK47's, pull the bullets and reload the powder with C-4, then leave it lying around where Charlie could pick it up!:o

Years ago I bought 5k rounds of Russian 22 ammo. It came in a wooden crate and bright green boxes, you never knew if it was going to fire, how far it was going to shoot or how the bullet was going to come out of the barrel if it even did. Ended up throwing most of it in the burn barrel and listening to it pop. I stick with name brand ammo now days

Archived