SASS Wire Forum

Removing Clear Coat

Rufus Calhoun

I have a Davide Pedersoli Sharps rifle with some type of clear coat applied to the receiver.  It is coming off in multiple small areas. Is there a way to remove the clear coat without damaging the case hardening underneath? 

Thanks in advance.

Rufus

If the clear coat is the same as that used on the Beretta Gold Rush, Rem Oil will remove it & the finish on the stock.  Years ago I found out the hard way.

Just a short update.

The acitone works well with just a little rubbing. Now I'm finding surface rust under the pox marks and squiggles. Moisture must have snuck its way under the clear coat and set up camp.  I'm thinking a light rubbing with some steel wool and a good oiling will take care of the rust squatters. 

Rufus

17 minutes ago, Rufus Calhoun said:

Just a short update.

The acitone works well with just a little rubbing. Now I'm finding surface rust under the pox marks and squiggles. Moisture must have snuck its way under the clear coat and set up camp.  I'm thinking a light rubbing with some steel wool and a good oiling will take care of the rust squatters. 

Rufus

Use bronze wool.  Or in a pinch, use a penny laid flat.  Yes it is a pun, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.  The bronze wool is far less damaging to your finish.

Archived