SASS Wire Forum

Spencer Roper pump SG

Rye Miles #13621

2 hours ago, Double Barrel, SASS 34765 said:

I have one of those. It works well. 
Even though it has an exposed hammer, SASS outlawed it. 
I think some of the Bannerman’s were made of inferior metal. If I remember correctly. 

I don’t see an exposed hammer on the one that’s pictured! 

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don’t see an exposed hammer on the one that’s pictured! 

If you read the article, apparently that second "trigger" is the hammer spur.

21 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

If you read the article, apparently that second "trigger" is the hammer spur.

I read the article since I posted it but Double Barrel said an Exposed Hammer not a second trigger. I saw the second trigger but my point is there’s no exposed hammer like in. 97 which is what I thought he meant . 

I almost bought one long ago, that had the barrel replaced with one from a modern shotgun, a Winchester model 12 I think.

Rye,

it is not a second trigger, it just happens to be in the trigger guard. Hard to explain without seeing it in operation. There used to a fellow (Chaupigue, sp. pronounced shoe peak) on here years ago that I met at EOT that saw me carrying it to show to Tom Knapp. He was much more knowledgeable about them than I am. 

1 minute ago, Double Barrel, SASS 34765 said:

Rye,

it is not a second trigger, it just happens to be in the trigger guard. Hard to explain without seeing it in operation. There used to a fellow (Chaupigue, sp. pronounced shoe peak) on here years ago that I met at EOT that saw me carrying it to show to Tom Knapp. He was much more knowledgeable about them than I am. 

I thought you meant an exposed hammer like a 97.^_^

Neat info on the history of early pump/slide action shotguns.

The write up states the second trigger recocks the hammer without opening the action.  Aparently this was needed because of the issues with early paper hulls.  So that is not really the same as an exposed trigger.

On 3/18/2023 at 8:05 AM, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Neat info on the history of early pump/slide action shotguns.

The write up states the second trigger recocks the hammer without opening the action.  Aparently this was needed because of the issues with early paper hulls.  So that is not really the same as an exposed trigger.

Imagine a 180 degree hammer “spur” (the exposer portion nearest to the fwd part of the trigger guard)

Here’s an illustration.   x-y illustrate the hammer’s travel (head as well as the spur).  So, it’s exposed and allows second strike capability.  The write up is giving you a wrong impression, Cowtown.   The “second trigger” is actually the exposed portion of the hammer.

BCB2F328-1965-468D-8A28-5B3A9D5D3A73.jpeg

Had an old retired gunsmith buddy that had a building say 12' x 20' filled with dead guns. He had a Spencer and Bannerman in the collection. He offered it to me but it was in awful shape with stove bolts and crude brazed welding. 

Archived