SASS Wire Forum

44-40 open top

Black RZR

I’ve never seen a 71-72 open top in 44-40 on any online site ( Uberti,Taylor’s,Cimarron)

I know there is a 44 special version. Is it possible to have a cylinder machined to make it work with 44 special barrel? Just a random thought……

18 minutes ago, Black RZR said:

I’ve never seen a 71-72 open top in 44-40 on any online site ( Uberti,Taylor’s,Cimarron)

I know there is a 44 special version. Is it possible to have a cylinder machined to make it work with 44 special barrel? Just a random thought……

Springfield Slim did it.  Perhaps he will chime in.

Interesting that I once had an 44 caliber Open Top barrel marked "44-40" when they never made a 44-40 gun.

If I remember correctly, Uberti claimed that there was not enough clearance to put six 44-40 chambers in the OT cylinder.

--Dawg

18 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Interesting that I once had an 44 caliber Open Top barrel marked "44-40" when they never made a 44-40 gun.

If I remember correctly, Uberti claimed that there was not enough clearance to put six 44-40 chambers in the OT cylinder.

--Dawg

Although there is enough clearance for 45 Colt (and the slightly larger .44wcf rims fit), so that doesn't really make good sense.

I think I recently read about someone who has some barrels, either opentop or conversion, that also are marked 44-40, though of course the cylinder is not 44-40.  QC slipping again at Uberti!

I have reamed out the cylinders on 2- 44 Colt '72 cylinders, and shot them for over 5 years with BP in 44-40. Although I have never had a problem with them, on some of the locking slots on the cylinders I can barely see some brass when loaded. Opentop cylinders as smaller in diameter than SAA cyinders, so there isn't a lot of room to spare.

8 years ago my wife's opentop in 45 Colt broke off the metal inside the locking slot enough for the brass to extrude into it, so we had to buy another cylinder. The new one was a bit larger in diameter and I had to file off just a bit of the frame for it to turn without binding, but it works fine now. Her 45 Colt loads are smokeless, not BP.

As for the rims hitting, as long as I use Winchester or Starline brass they fit, but barely. So, it can be done, but it isn't without some problems. It was nice having the same caliber in pistols and rifle, though, so for me it was worth it.

I haven't shot them for the last couple of years as I had to change to 2 handed grip so my kids would stop beating me. So now I shoot 2 44-40 Remingtons and load them with 44 Cowboy shorts(44-40 trimmed to 44 Russian length) for lower recoil. A Dad's gotta do what he's gotta do! 

I'm looking at an emf 73 that is 44 special but comes with spare 44-40 cylinder too. Would this gun give me problems with accuracy since 44 special barrel is probably little bigger. .429 vs .427

2 minutes ago, Black RZR said:

I'm looking at an emf 73 that is 44 special but comes with spare 44-40 cylinder too. Would this gun give me problems with accuracy since 44 special barrel is probably little bigger. .429 vs .427

With a few exceptions all modern 44-40 firearms are using the same barrel dimensions as 44 Spcl/Mag. 

I load .430 bullets in all my 44-40 ammo. To accommodate the larger bullets I use a 44 Spcl/Mag expander die. 

11 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

With a few exceptions all modern 44-40 firearms are using the same barrel dimensions as 44 Spcl/Mag. 

I load .430 bullets in all my 44-40 ammo. To accommodate the larger bullets I use a 44 Spcl/Mag expander die. 

Same. BB

I "was" going to jump in with all the news that is the news, but it's been covered sort of.  Goin in reverse, the current industry standard is for .429 barrels.  Matters not if made for 44-40, .44 Spl, .44 Colt or .44 Russian.  .429 Barrels are standard.  Cast bullets sized to .430 are bestest.

Uberti never chambered the 71/72 Open Top in 44-40.  There were some initial problems with Open Tops chambered in 45 Colt, blowing out the super tiny and thin little piece at the bottom of the locking bolt slots.  As long as we were talking lighter CAS loads, that was not a problem although it made some a mite nervous.  The "Rim Diameter" excuse from Uberti has always been hogwash. The Open Top has always chambered 45 Schofield, ergo the 44-40 rim was not a problem.  The problem is/was thin chamber walls and in all honesty, the chamber walls are still too thin for 45 Colt and 44-40, although Slim has been most successful with his.

I have several ".44" barrels on my Open Top convertibles that are marked 44-40.  Weird.

46 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I "was" going to jump in with all the news that is the news, but it's been covered sort of.  Goin in reverse, the current industry standard is for .429 barrels.  Matters not if made for 44-40, .44 Spl, .44 Colt or .44 Russian.  .429 Barrels are standard.  Cast bullets sized to .430 are bestest.

Uberti never chambered the 71/72 Open Top in 44-40.  There were some initial problems with Open Tops chambered in 45 Colt, blowing out the super tiny and thin little piece at the bottom of the locking bolt slots.  As long as we were talking lighter CAS loads, that was not a problem although it made some a mite nervous.  The "Rim Diameter" excuse from Uberti has always been hogwash. The Open Top has always chambered 45 Schofield, ergo the 44-40 rim was not a problem.  The problem is/was thin chamber walls and in all honesty, the chamber walls are still too thin for 45 Colt and 44-40, although Slim has been most successful with his.

I have several ".44" barrels on my Open Top convertibles that are marked 44-40.  Weird.

44-40 would have left more metal in the bolt notch area than 45 Colt. SAAMI Chamber specs for the base of 45 Colt is .4862" while 44-40 base diameter is .4697". It isn't much but an additional .0165" definitely wouldn't hurt.

While I had the reamer I also reamed out 3 more sets of Uberti revolvers. Now they all take any SAAMI ammo, and all the chambers are the same. The reamer I used cut more of a taper than a shoulder, like in the SAAMI spec sheet pics.

Archived