SASS Wire Forum

New Here, Advice?

Lethargy Lever

Hey y’all,

Signed up for SASS not to long ago. Been thinking about it for a while and finally decided to take the plunge. Located in the Hudson Valley area of New York State and looking for some ideas on how to jump in. Already have all of the required firearms (had them before). Just wanted to introduce myself and ask for some general advice/wisdom from those of you who are more seasoned members. Thanks and look forward to meeting some of you!

-Lethargy Lever

5 hours ago, Lethargy Lever said:

Hey y’all,

Signed up for SASS not to long ago. Been thinking about it for a while and finally decided to take the plunge. Located in the Hudson Valley area of New York State and looking for some ideas on how to jump in. Already have all of the required firearms (had them before). Just wanted to introduce myself and ask for some general advice/wisdom from those of you who are more seasoned members. Thanks and look forward to meeting some of you!

-Lethargy Lever

Welcome to the fire.

Advice?  You may get more than you want.  Mine is that the Wire ain't SASS.    I haven't shot any SASS matches in NY, though I did live there for many years.  Hopefully you'll have no trouble finding some local clubs.

24 minutes ago, Lethargy Lever said:

Hey y’all,

-Lethargy Lever

Not sure where you are in the Hudson Valley but we have several Cowboys that come North to shot with the Circle K every month and the NYS Championship.

http://www.circlekregulators.com/

Welcome Lethargy Lever to the best game and folks goin'. Hold on for the addiction!!

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

1 hour ago, Seth Bradford said:

Not sure where you are in the Hudson Valley but we have several Cowboys that come North to shot with the Circle K every month and the NYS Championship.

http://www.circlekregulators.com/

I’m in Mahopac. Looks like the club isn’t too far from me. I’ll have to come check it out! Thanks!

head on out to the club and be sure to bring your stuff

anything you don't have/forgotten the members will provide

You'll be amazed at the friendliness of cowboy shooters--that's one thing that is remarked on no matter what part of the country you're from

remember:  we'll all 11 years old again, playing Cowboys and Indians WITH REAL GUNS--can't get any better than that!

welcome to the MOST FUN EVER!!! So glad you took the plunge!! 

There are some FABULOUS cowboys and cowgirls in NYS!! We come to the NYS match every September in Ballston Spa! It is sooo much fun. 

Hope our paths cross often!

Hugs!

Scarlett

First, don’t go on a gun buying spree.  Go to local matches and ask to shoot stages with others guns.  You will have preferences!  Work on your costume meanwhile.  Second, learn reloading if you don’t already reload.  Reloading controls costs and provides ammo that feeds reliably in your firearms.  Component costs are insane but at least powder and primers are available.

Hopefully you will feel confident to shoot state and regional matches this year.

Welcome. Read the Shooters Hand Book, look at an age based category at first, it gives you the most latitude on guns and gear. After a few matches you will begin to find what works/interests you the most and move in that direction. If/when others offer to let you try their gear or guns , do it. Then be appreciative, help out at the match, even if you dont shoot. There is a world of knowledge to be gained as you watch others work through problems and trainwrecks. Be prepared to IMMEDIATELY lose 40 IQ [points when the beeper goes off. It happens to us all, even after years in the game. Have fun, be safe and if somebody tells you they are going to "wherever" for lunch after the match-GO. There you will be exposed to the other half of what makes Cowboy Action Shooting so great, the people. see you down the trail.

Imis

Welcome to the place! Great bunch here, just don't answer any of @Alpo's questions, don't get between @Tennessee williams and a banana split, get a hug from @Scarlett, @Singin' Sue 71615 is a sweetheart, and don't trust me!

Welcome aboard and enjoy! Don't take any advice from these people on this wire, just from me!! I'm the only one you can trust the rest of these folks are out to get you!:P

Just kidding, take ANY advice and then research it even mine!!

14 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Welcome. Read the Shooters Hand Book, look at an age based category at first, it gives you the most latitude on guns and gear. After a few matches you will begin to find what works/interests you the most and move in that direction. If/when others offer to let you try their gear or guns , do it. Then be appreciative, help out at the match, even if you dont shoot. There is a world of knowledge to be gained as you watch others work through problems and trainwrecks. Be prepared to IMMEDIATELY lose 40 IQ [points when the beeper goes off. It happens to us all, even after years in the game. Have fun, be safe and if somebody tells you they are going to "wherever" for lunch after the match-GO. There you will be exposed to the other half of what makes Cowboy Action Shooting so great, the people. see you down the trail.

Imis

+1

Have fun. Don't take this too seriously as itsa game.

If you choose a costume category it will wind up being morer funner. Same with eventually shooting black powder... much morer betterer.

Welcome!

13 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Welcome to the place! Great bunch here, just don't answer any of @Alpo's questions, don't get between @Tennessee williams and a banana split, get a hug from @Scarlett, @Singin' Sue 71615 is a sweetheart, and don't trust me!

So....why is your 'don't trust me' ...right behind 'Singin' Sue's a sweetheart':blush:?

23 hours ago, Lethargy Lever said:

Hey y’all,

-Lethargy Lever

Reach out to Deacon Henrey!!

16 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

The most important thing to know, is DeaconKC typed his name in wrong when he was signing up on the wire. His real alias is DeaconKFC because of his love of chicken feet. He is usually easy enough to spot at a match by the KFC bucket he wears as his hat. Don't let his easy-going demeanor fool you. I've personally seen him take a toddlers' lollipop from him and run away laughing maniacally. 

21 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

First, don’t go on a gun buying spree.  Go to local matches and ask to shoot stages with others guns.  You will have preferences!  Work on your costume meanwhile.  Second, learn reloading if you don’t already reload.  Reloading controls costs and provides ammo that feeds reliably in your firearms.  Component costs are insane but at least powder and primers are available.

Hopefully you will feel confident to shoot state and regional matches this year.

Haha way too late on both accounts..

image.jpg

20 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Imis

Damn, don’t have too many IQ points left to lose…

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Have fun. Don't take this too seriously as itsa game.

If you choose a costume category it will wind up being morer funner. Same with eventually shooting black powder... much morer betterer.

Welcome!

OOOhhh black powder sounds interesting…

5 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:

Buy another safe, you're gonna need it :D

I’m gonna need another room…

3 minutes ago, Lethargy Lever said:

Haha way too late on both accounts..

image.jpg

You are way ahead of most new shooters!  If you install lighter springs in your guns you will likely start reloading with Federal primers.

Regarding black powder, start with smokeless powder.  Black powder has its own complexities you should avoid when starting.  You pretty much have to reload shotgun shells to shoot in a BP category.

18 minutes ago, Lethargy Lever said:

OOOhhh black powder sounds interesting…

I’m gonna need another room…

So did I. :D

Welcome! Like Seth Bradford said Matamoras is probably closer but Circle K hosts the NYS match. We have our annual Cabin Fever shoot on March 26. It's a potluck swap meet new shooter shoot. We set up a couple of simple stages so new shooters can try it out and regular shooters can see how much rust they've accumulated over the winter. You shoot the stage(s) as much as you want, when you want (ie, no posse just an RO to oversee the stage).  It's a good time to try out different guns.  Then we have a potluck dinner.  People also bring stuff for the swap meet.  Never know what you may find.  Hope to see you there.  Roper

2 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

You are way ahead of most new shooters!  If you install lighter springs in your guns you will likely start reloading with Federal primers.

Regarding black powder, start with smokeless powder.  Black powder has its own complexities you should avoid when starting.  You pretty much have to reload shotgun shells to shoot in a BP category.

Starting out with Black Powder -> YES!!!!!

Though I would recommend starting with a sub like APP instead of the real thing, but eventually go to Real Black Powder!

Starting out with Percussion Revolvers -> NO.

Advice......how about just have fun and make new friends!  Don't forget that if you leave guns unattended in the gun safe for more than 90 days, they breed.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  Welcome from about 8 states away.  

YES!!!  Black Powder!!!  Going home as clean as you arrived means you just didn't have enough fun!  Those black smudges on your hat brim from BP cases are marks of character!  When you grow up into adulthood, and get those cap & ball sixguns, you'll have truly arrived at the epitome of the game!  

Archived