SASS Wire Forum

Pneumonia

Well Rats!  I've got COPD and several other unpronounceable things and after a scheduled appointment with my pulmologist last friday, I went hom and slowly started getting hit by a steam roller.  I knew it wan't COVID but with my present condition I'm scared of just a minor cold.  Well, I decided to brave it and started self medicating. WRONG!!

Yesterday I went to the walk-in clinic and two hours later I walked out with a bunch of meds, a nebulizer and PNEUMONIA!  I was given a ton of instructions and I need to go back today and then in two weeks for another chest X-Ray.  Also was advised that if I got worse I should not wait but go to the ER.  But last night I was able to sleep for the first time in four days.

Sorry for the rant but I just feel like such an idiot.  The main medical difference between men and women is a woman stubs her toe and goes to the ER screaming about a fracture, we men have to be at deaths doorstep before we take an aspirin!  SHEESH!

Take care of yourself Pard.

COPD, while manageable on it's own, weakens you for a lot of other crap that's not as easy to treat.

I highly recommend once you get better that you consider the pneumonia shots. A few years back I had a running battle with bronchitis and pneumonia. I just couldn’t shake them for months. After I got better my doctor recommended the pneumonia shots (2). I used to pass on all the various shots offered but I took the shots. I haven’t had an issue since. Every 5 years I will get the shots. 

I hope you get better soon. 

Respiratory diseases are ALWAYS an emergency, especially in babies and children.  How long can you hold your breath?  Like bleeding, anything that compromises breathing should get immediate attention.

Glad you got professional help.

Good to hear that you sought medical help somewhat soon. If your condition doesn't improve rapidly, please seek other medical advice as the condition may get worse pretty damn quick.

I spent 10 days in the hospital (Morton Plant) after improper treatment of bacterial pneumonia in my right lung. Drain tubes in my back that went into the sac between my lungs and ribcage, constant IV antibiotics/etc. and some REAL painful douching of the infection every four hours. Besides the monetary expense, I lost most of the capacity of my right lung. On the bright side, I quit smoking after 45 years of 2 packs a day.  

You're spot on with the "Death's doorstop" comparison. The only time I would go to seek unscheduled medical attention was if I was leaking too much blood. Seriously, if you don't start getting noticeably better, seek a different doctor...it could save your like and a sh**load of money.

54 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I highly recommend once you get better that you consider the pneumonia shots. A few years back I had a running battle with bronchitis and pneumonia. I just couldn’t shake them for months. After I got better my doctor recommended the pneumonia shots (2). I used to pass on all the various shots offered but I took the shots. I haven’t had an issue since. Every 5 years I will get the shots. 

I hope you get better soon. 

Thanks Pat, I never heard of them, but I'll ask my doctors about them.

Don't short change pneumonia! 

It killed my wife seven years ago and damn near killed me last December.  One thing I'll support getting the shot for and I'm paranoid enough to call the doctor whenever I get even one small symptom.

Archived