SASS Wire Forum

Snow Removal

Subdeacon Joe

If I lived in Big Bear, Tahoe, Mammoth I would have a snow mobile.
Getting snowed in is no fun. Did that in high school. Thank goodness for my interest in mountain man stuff and my bear paw snowshoes. I could make the trek 3 miles to the store. Then my Dad’s friend and his wife came down on two snowmobiles and left one for us to use. Great machines to have in the snow. 

There have been several "Copy Cats" but I think this guy was the first...Tracked, walk behind, snow blower built from a 454 Cubic Inch Chevy Big Block.  Throws snow 126' and has the added advantage of releasing enough carbon back into the atmosphere that it will help mitigate future snow falls due to global warming.  :o:P

V8 Snow Blower

I don' t have a need for one of these (except for maybe once per decade) but I Want One! :lol:

10 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

There have been several "Copy Cats" but I think this guy was the first...Tracked, walk behind, snow blower built from a 454 Cubic Inch Chevy Big Block.  Throws snow 126' and has the added advantage of releasing enough carbon back into the atmosphere that it will help mitigate future snow falls due to global warming.  :o:P

V8 Snow Blower

I don' t have a need for one of these (except for maybe once per decade) but I Want One! :lol:

There was one built (maybe first iteration of that blower) that used four wheels and conected the augers like axles to the center section from a truck.

Either way, it seems like a waste.  They are removing the 26ci engine to put a cumbersome 454ci on it.  Why not start with a tractor blower?

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If I lived in Big Bear, Tahoe, Mammoth I would have a snow mobile.
Getting snowed in is no fun. Did that in high school. Thank goodness for my interest in mountain man stuff and my bear paw snowshoes. I could make the trek 3 miles to the store. Then my Dad’s friend and his wife came down on two snowmobiles and left one for us to use. Great machines to have in the snow. 

Good neighbors are important.  Were those custom longtrack sleds or did you make stock short tracks work?

Just now, sassnetguy50 said:

Good neighbors are important.  Were those custom longtrack sleds or did you make stock short tracks work?

Honestly, I have no idea. I don’t know much about snowmobiles. The tracks did not extend out much past the rear. 

Buck Garrets grandson, who lives in Mammoth is getting paid $50.00 an hour to shovel snow. My wife’s sister and her husband own a condo up there and gave up trying to keep the snow cleared themselves and are paying big bucks to have it done for them.

I was born and raised in Mi so I’m used to snow, When I moved to CA I moved to Susanville in Lassen Co, I was always impressed with the amount of snow they could get. can’t hardly imagine this yr. If I remember right Susanville was at about 4000ft, I can remember some of the Mt peaks in the area still having snow In July. Wonder how long they will hold snow this yr. Going out west was my first experience with tire chains “they are illegal in Mi”. Do they still require them in bad weather? 

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I was born and raised in Mi so I’m used to snow, When I moved to CA I moved to Susanville in Lassen Co, I was always impressed with the amount of snow they could get. can’t hardly imagine this yr. If I remember right Susanville was at about 4000ft, I can remember some of the Mt peaks in the area still having snow In July. Wonder how long they will hold snow this yr. Going out west was my first experience with tire chains “they are illegal in Mi”. Do they still require them in bad weather? 

I live in San Diego County and they are required quite often on Interstate 8 and other highways in the county in the winter. I used to have a mountaintop communications site in the Laguna mountains  east of San Diego and we got quite a lot of snow up there a few winters. I had to dig out the pathways from the building doors to the gate and I had a contractor clear the 1/8 mile road into the site from the FAA gate. I was up there late at night one time when the generator failed and the snow was deep enough that it covered the 8’ chainlink fence with concertina wire on top and we walked right over the top. The snow had drifted in to where it was level with the top of the building.

28 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I live in San Diego County and they are required quite often on Interstate 8 and other highways in the county in the winter. I used to have a mountaintop communications site in the Laguna mountains  east of San Diego and we got quite a lot of snow up there a few winters. I had to dig out the pathways from the building doors to the gate and I had a contractor clear the 1/8 mile road into the site from the FAA gate. I was up there late at night one time when the generator failed and the snow was deep enough that it covered the 8’ chainlink fence with concertina wire on top and we walked right over the top. The snow had drifted in to where it was level with the top of the building.

I can remember wanting to go to Reno from Susanville a couple times where you would run into a drift you knew you were not getting through so you would just turn around and go home. One of the things I miss about CA is the mountains. Got stranded in Reno a couple of times, but if you’re going to be stranded it’s not a bad place to be. The eastern half of Utah also always impressed me on my trips back and forth across the country. 

4 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Going out west was my first experience with tire chains “they are illegal in Mi”. Do they still require them in bad weather? 

Yep.  Chain control is a regular thing on I-80 and Hwy 50.

41 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I was up there late at night one time when the generator failed and the snow was deep enough that it covered the 8’ chainlink fence with concertina wire on top and we walked right over the top. The snow had drifted in to where it was level with the top of the building.

A good number of my friends went to Michigan Tec in Da UP. It’s located in the Keweenaw Peninsula so they get allot of lake effect snow. They would always tell me about snowshoeing or cross country skiing out the 3 story windows of their dorm rooms. When I used to be into snowmobiling and we would go up there and allot of the trails cutting through towns would cross city streets and there would regularly be 6’ to 12’ drops and climbs crossing the streets. Some winters it snows almost every day there. 

40 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

EXAMPLE:

❄️CHAIN CONTROL❄️ (3/14/23 5:00am) 

•I-80 is R2 in both directions from the Donner Lake Interchange to Nyack. 

• SR-267 is R2 from Northstar to Kings Beach. 

• SR-89 is R1 from Truckee to Tahoe City. 

• SR-28 is R2 from Tahoe City to Kings Beach.

• Trucks are at maximum restrictions. 

*For updates on road conditions visit: https://quickmap.dot.ca.gov

FB_IMG_1678896628961.thumb.jpg.2e0c3bd466a73f14ccb43d83d168cbb2.jpg

My wife just got off the phone with her sister and she says they’ve spent a little over $9,000.00 on snow removal on their place up at Mammoth so far this winter and there’s another big storm on the way. Got a hunch that they might try to sell that place this summer.

On 3/15/2023 at 8:30 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

If there is chain controls on I-80 I will take 50 over Spooner & Echo summits.  If chains are required the traffic on 80 is so bad that 50 is much faster.  Carson City is at 4500ft. Spooner is 7200ft.. Tahoe is at 6500ft & Echo is 7200ft.  50 is up, down, up & down so the driving distance in snow is less than on 80 & 88.  The only drabak of 50 is Myers grade (Tahoe to Echo summit is up against a granite slope that is very steep.  Snow drifts build up on the ridge & even though they have a 106mm recoilless rifle to bombard the snow pack it isn't uncommon for an avalanche or the snow dislodged by the bombing to close the road.  I got stuck in traffic driving east from Placerville.  I stayed in line for 2 hours waiting for road to be open before I turned around & spent the night at my brother in law's house in Placerville.

2 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

If there is chain controls on I-80 I will take 50 over Spooner & Echo summits.  If

But nine times out of ten if there are chain controls on 80 there are also chain controls on 50.  Or 50 is closed because of rock slides.

18 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

My wife just got off the phone with her sister and she says they’ve spent a little over $9,000.00 on snow removal on their place up at Mammoth so far this winter and there’s another big storm on the way. Got a hunch that they might try to sell that place this summer.

Cost averaging is how you you have to look at that.  Or spend it on a machine.

31 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Cost averaging is how you you have to look at that.  Or spend it on a machine.

Be hard to get that up on a roof and sidewalks. One expensive part of the snow removal, I guess is finding somewhere to put it and someone to haul it.

On 3/17/2023 at 4:51 PM, Yul Lose said:

We paid $240 the month of Dec.

We went and did it ourselved Jan and Feb.

It is costly at $50 + per person working an hour.

I've used 3/4's of a tank of gas in the old Ford this winter.:P

Archived