SASS Wire Forum

Adventure Riding

sassnetguy50

5 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Feel free to post links to aditional adventure riders.

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748 Have you made plans on how to use that bike in retirement?

I have. I have been riding numerous country roads here in WV and PA. I am really not planning any long treks at this time, mostly because there is a great possibility I will be having lower back surgery in the coming months. I may be able to delay it through exercise and weight loss but at some point it will happen. 

I considered selling my current bike snd buying a Kawasaki KLR650 as my bike is just too too heavy for dirt roads and trails. My wife isn’t too keen on this idea. I think she thinks I will end up injured and stranded off the side of a road or trail somewhere. 

I have made it my goal to to ride on every paved road that I can in northern WV and western PA and then branch out from there. 

I am also planning trout fishing trips by motorcycle. I am accumulating tackle that fits my bike and saddle bags (panniers). West Virginia has lots of great trout streams, rivers and lakes. 

Out of the blue my wife recommended we stop at the local Harley dealership recently. She used to like going for rides with me on my Kawasaki Vulcan. I think she thought I might like a cruiser bike. I started paying too much attention to another lady in the room and she lost interest. The lady was a sales lady answering all my questions about the Pan American and the Sportster 1250. 
Shortly after that we were at Bass Pro and I was eyeballing an aluminum bass boat and she said “Gee, maybe instead of a newer bike a fishing boat might be something fun.”

I think she is hinting that she wants me to settle down a bit. :)

I am planning on changing the Michelin Road 5’s out on my bike to a more dual sport type tire. I haven’t decided on the tires yet. I took a ride a couple of weeks ago that put me on a downhill gravel road. I rounded a turn and there it was. My nemesis. A transition from pavement to gravel on a downhill run. Everything went okay, but these tires I have now are not gravel friendly. ;)

Hello again Pat. Was thumbing around and came across this post, after reading I recognized the name! I actually just bought a new klr adventure and love it.

6 minutes ago, Jason Riddle said:

Hello again Pat. Was thumbing around and came across this post, after reading I recognized the name! I actually just bought a new klr adventure and love it.

I could definitely see myself on a KLR650, but I have made a pact with my current bike, a Kawasaki Versys 650. As long as it keeps running the way it is I want to keep it around until it’s given up the ghost. I have ~45,000 miles on it now and the darn thing still runs like new. 

Archived