SASS Wire Forum

.44-40 Brass

Texas Scott

Best I can say is watch Starline's website. When it goes to backorder ok...call them. Wtch it daily

I don't know what Starline's process is, whether they make their own or contract with somebody, but either way it sure can't hurt for everybody to email and tell them we need it. Forty five Colt just changed from red/no backorder to yellow/backorder OK.

I just got an order Saturday that I had back ordered September 5th.  It seems Starline runs a bunch every 6-7 months.

If you have nothing pm me and I will send some. Folks did that for me when I had a gun and no brass. If you just need more you may need to wait for a starline batch. I waited 6 months but it finally came in. Should have ordered more.

Midway just sent me an email saying they had Starline Brass 44-40 WCF in stock.  By the time I got to their website it was all gone again.

On 3/14/2023 at 1:40 AM, Three Foot Johnson said:

I don't know what Starline's process is, whether they make their own or contract with somebody

Starline makes their own brass.

On 3/13/2023 at 9:20 PM, Old Man Graybeard said:

Best I can say is watch Starline's website. When it goes to backorder ok...call them. Wtch it daily

Hey Graybeard, great to hear from you!

I contacted Starline a while back and they stated that they have no plans to retool for .44-40 in the foreseeable future.  So, I'm looking in corners and digging in the couch cushions, so to speak. If they weren't such fragile critters I wouldn't worry too much as I currently have close to a shooting season's worth to load.

Tex 

On 3/19/2023 at 7:13 AM, Sam Sackett said:

There is some listed over at the Castboolits site. 

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?454626-Brass-ammo-for-sale-38-40-44-40-444Marlin

Sam Sackett 

Thanks Sam.  Even though they've sold already, I really appreciate the heads up.

Kinda like primers, I guess. If notified one has to get right on it like a rat on a Cheeto.

Tex

Guess we will have to just keep pestering Starline...I just got a 44-40 and need brass too...

On 3/19/2023 at 12:36 AM, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Starline makes their own brass.

Yes, DJ is correct, and as I have already stated in my reply to Old Man Graybeard, at this point tooling up to mfg more is not in their near future plans, I have been told.

As such, those of us shootin' .44-40 need to make sure to hunt down those empties!

Tex

1 minute ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Guess we will have to just keep pestering Starline...I just got a 44-40 and need brass too...

Maybe if we gang up on them they may change direction?  I'm not one to spend too much time on the old internut, but the searching that I've done has led to many retailers who list them on their sites, but all have been out of stock.

I'll keep you in mind as I at least have enough to get loaded up for a few matches.  I don't much like to load during the shooting season, but a guy has to do what's needed to keep the evil black smoke rolling.

I know what you mean. I have others I can use...still need to do some work to the rifle. Sooner or later they will run some more...and I will get 1 or 2 thousand

On 3/16/2023 at 2:23 PM, Frontier Lone Rider said:

Midway just sent me an email saying they had Starline Brass 44-40 WCF in stock.  By the time I got to their website it was all gone again.

I've been getting those types of alerts, mainly for primers, in the middle of the night. Don't help much as they sell almost immediately. 

On 3/14/2023 at 5:28 PM, Doc Moses said:

If you have nothing pm me and I will send some. Folks did that for me when I had a gun and no brass. If you just need more you may need to wait for a starline batch. I waited 6 months but it finally came in. Should have ordered more.

Thanks a bunch for the offer, Doc! I really appreciate your kind consideration but I do have a few so I'm okay.  I'll just have to keep an eye on the Starline website.

I'll just wait.  I don't mind used brass for handguns...but I would rather have new for rifle. Thanks anyway

Archived