SASS Wire Forum

Winchester/Miroku '73 - I give up.

Totes Magoats

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Or buy a brand new Miroku, swap the sears, send in the new one for warranty repair, then sell it.  Yeah, it's a pain in the butt, but could work.  Otherwise, can a good welder repair it and file to shape?  Cheap-a$$ that I am, I might try JB Weld first, easy enough to try.  When Miroku redesigned that part, I guess they weren't expecting people to shoot them like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V28d3gdITbA

I don't think I'd let Miroku see that video.:lol:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

When Miroku redesigned that part, I guess they weren't expecting people to shoot them like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V28d3gdITbA

Sheesh Abilene, what did you do, remove every third frame to decrease the viewing time like they do on TV.

1 hour ago, Totes Magoats said:

After discussing with Carty, he is going to attempt to repair the sear.  Sending it to him today!

Fingers crossed....

Totes

Ask him to replace it with one of his new ones and then send the new rifle in for a repair part.

TM

1 minute ago, Texas Maverick said:

Ask him to replace it with one of his new ones and then send the new rifle in for a repair part.

It's not that simple.  The Winchester tech told me that even if I sent the rifle in, he could not tell me when they could repair it.  To me, it sounded like they are short on parts.  I also asked for a list of parts that they would sell (not on their restricted list) and he said they were still working on that along with the parts diagrams.  So, no direct answers from their tech team at all.

Totes

Mr. Miruko was in Cody watching us shoot CAS. Crazy Ivan and I were showing him what CAS was all about. I took him over to my cart and showed him my Ithaca 100 and Charles Daly 500. At that time I told him we needed more high quality shotguns. That was around 10 years ago. Pretty sure he was already set on producing 73's. He never mentioned making new SxS's.

I purchased a Miruko 73 and its a great gun. My Uberti 73's break more often and the metal is low quality compared to the Miruko. If someone would make parts it'd be great.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:45 AM, La Sombra said:

Totes.

That sucks!

You might be reduced to the Wiley Coyote School of Gunsmithing solution. Cut to size, file to fit, and paint to match.

Find a local 3-D metal print shop to do the work. (If no local ones, Google is your friend.) Someone somewhere should have the correct dimensions.

Best of luck.

La Sombra

I THINK if you glued the part so that the external demensions were back to spec someone with a 3D printer could measure it. Then they have those specs to put in the printer. Never used a 3D printer for metal but thats how it works with other stuff. (obviously a glued part will not function in the gun. Just to get the proper deminsions.)

25 minutes ago, Doc Moses said:

I THINK if you glued the part so that the external demensions were back to spec someone with a 3D printer could measure it. Then they have those specs to put in the printer. Never used a 3D printer for metal but thats how it works with other stuff. (obviously a glued part will not function in the gun. Just to get the proper deminsions.)

Trainwreck’s son does that kind of 3D printing, I believe. You might PM him and see what he says. He’s built some other 3D printed stuff that has worked out very well for pards around here. It’s worth a shot.

On 3/13/2023 at 11:46 AM, Itchy Trigger said:

Buy a piece of crap (non-CAS) Miroku '73 and steal the sear from it! 

Still a bit to replace a small part but might be cheaper than having a custom piece machined.

Wow, don’t hold back!  Tell us what you really think!  But I have to disagree with you on it being a piece of crap. I am happy with mine and the 1866, 1892s, 1886 and 1894s I have from Miroku. But you shoot what you want and I won’t stoop to your level of gun snobbery and insult your choice. 

1 hour ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Wow, don’t hold back!  Tell us what you really think!  But I have to disagree with you on it being a piece of crap. I am happy with mine and the 1866, 1892s, 1886 and 1894s I have from Miroku. But you shoot what you want and I won’t stoop to your level of gun snobbery and insult your choice. 

I think what It he was referring to was buying a beat-to-heck rifle and obtaining a replacement sear from it; not that Mirokus were junk.  At least, that’s how I read it.

Saw mention of 3-D printing a sear but how durable would that be?  Can’t believe it’d be better than a MIM part but maybe?  Sure seems like there may be an opportunity for someone to machine replacement sears.  Perhaps MGW will get around to it eventually. 

Took a close look at your picture, and indeed the sear seems to be a MIM (metal injection molding) part.   I have been adamant about not using guns with MIM fire control parts for about 20 years now, for this very reason, although many are being made that way today.  Don't think anyone yet has a 3D printing capability that gets to the strength of a tool steel sear. 

In theory, MIM parts are "just about" as strong as forged and machined parts.  In practice, I don't think this quality level is all that easy to maintain in production.

good luck, GJ

In Winchester's (Miroku's) defense, even Ruger returns repaired guns to original spec. They have no way of knowing who made the mods and to what quality they were made. And with something like a sear, there's no way they are allowing anyone other than their own folks to install it. You do know that almost ALL of the mods we do to our CAS guns voids the warranties... right? If you bought a pack of hot dogs and one was broken, would you expect the maker to give you one hot dog back? Or would they give you a fresh new sealed pack. All about liabilities. Thanks lawyers

*****You might be reduced to the Wiley Coyote School of Gunsmithing solution. Cut to size, file to fit, and paint to match.*****

Is that the ACME Co. that we've seen on the Roadrunner Show?

20 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

It's not that simple.  The Winchester tech told me that even if I sent the rifle in, he could not tell me when they could repair it.  To me, it sounded like they are short on parts.  I also asked for a list of parts that they would sell (not on their restricted list) and he said they were still working on that along with the parts diagrams.  So, no direct answers from their tech team at all.

Totes

Sorry you are having to go through all this. I think I did see where you have a backup but it isn't as good as your primary. I hope you get something that will be good enough for you going forward until you get your primary rifle issues resolved. I just sent my primary off to Boogie for a complete tuneup but can't afford to do the same for my backup so will just have to make it do when I need to shoot the backup and take my lumps because we all know the two rifles will be as different as night and day.

TM

10 minutes ago, Mustang Gregg said:

*****You might be reduced to the Wiley Coyote School of Gunsmithing solution. Cut to size, file to fit, and paint to match.*****

Is that the ACME Co. that we've seen on the Roadrunner Show?

The Wiley Coyote School of Gunsmithing is a wholly owned subsidiary of ACME Co., makers of Dehydrated Water and Anvils.

La Sombra

56 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

WHAT?!?!?  Trainwreck has a son???  Who in the world left him unsupervised and let him reproduce?  God help us all. :wacko:

Well… he’s adopted.:P

4 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

I think I did see where you have a backup but it isn't as good as your primary

Whiskey Kid is loaning me his backup Boogie rifle, I also have my backup Uberti (but has a different trigger to get used to).  I had bought 2 Miroku's from Carty, set up identical, but Ginger shoots the 2nd one and I don't want to take the chance of breaking hers.  I'm pretty rough on a rifle....

I just need to get settled on a rifle to get used to for the big Spring annuals and state match.

Headed to Bayou Blast tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Totes

1 minute ago, Totes Magoats said:

Whiskey Kid is loaning me his backup Boogie rifle, I also have my backup Uberti (but has a different trigger to get used to).  I had bought 2 Miroku's from Carty, set up identical, but Ginger shoots the 2nd one and I don't want to take the chance of breaking hers.  I'm pretty rough on a rifle....

I just need to get settled on a rifle to get used to for the big Spring annuals and state match.

Headed to Bayou Blast tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Totes

I hear you. My backup is by Boomstick and will be upgraded but not to the degree of my soon to be primary Boogie one will be. Boogie said it would take 4 weeks so hopefully will have it before all my major matches and WK said it would shave off 3 or 4 seconds off my time. LOL Glad you at least have a plan going for you that won't hold you back. I am thinking of talking with Wheeler this weekend at BB and see what he might be able to do with my backup to make it better after I get my primary one back. See ya at BB.

TM

TM

1 hour ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

In Winchester's (Miroku's) defense, even Ruger returns repaired guns to original spec. They have no way of knowing who made the mods and to what quality they were made. And with something like a sear, there's no way they are allowing anyone other than their own folks to install it. You do know that almost ALL of the mods we do to our CAS guns voids the warranties... right? If you bought a pack of hot dogs and one was broken, would you expect the maker to give you one hot dog back? Or would they give you a fresh new sealed pack. All about liabilities. Thanks lawyers

THIS^^^^

Once we modify any firearm for our game there is no warranty. We are fortunate that Uberti and Pietta will sell parts for their firearms.

26 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

THIS^^^^

Once we modify any firearm for our game there is no warranty. We are fortunate that Uberti and Pietta will sell parts for their firearms.

That’s also probably one of the reasons they are so popular. Allot of the parts in them are soft and wear so they need to be hardened,  but at least you can get the parts to keep them running. After market support also helps. Ruger has some, Pietta and Umberti a little more, Miroku seems to have almost none. After market support is huge in making a gun popular look at 1911’s, Glock, Ruger 22 pistols and rifles and AR’s. It would be great if Ruger would make a old style SA without the transfer bar in a SASS set, and from a marketing standpoint I bet they could sell quite a few, but I don’t see the lawyers ever allowing it to happen. 

I was looking at a Miroku Winchester the other day. I had heard that parts availability was questionable for Winchester. Glad I didn't get it now. I think I will stay with the Uberti rifles...at least you can get go fast parts and stock parts easily for them. That means a WHOLE lot right there. Hopwfully Winchester wakes up

24 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I was looking at a Miroku Winchester the other day. I had heard that parts availability was questionable for Winchester. Glad I didn't get it now. I think I will stay with the Uberti rifles...at least you can get go fast parts and stock parts easily for them. That means a WHOLE lot right there. Hopwfully Winchester wakes up

I doubt it.  A shooting buddy has had two for at least 7 years and in that time Winchester has not shown any interest in selling parts to either individuals, gunsmiths or parts suppliers such as VTI.  CAS activity doesn't seem to be on their radar, at least in Japan and I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't made anymore as a regular item.  The rifles are well made and work well enough for most shooters.  Colt has, I think, a similar mentality although parts for them are available  through manufacturers of Colt clones or some parts suppliers.  

Unfortunately, the larger firearms companies are not concerned with CAS (too much). It's a profitability thing and if it makes money, they will do it, if not then they won't. Parts do not make money, whole guns do (yes, there is the liability thing too). Comes down to money, and lawsuits take from the bottom line (yes, even frivolous ones). I would think that if CAS shooters made a big difference in the overall purchases from a gun manufacturer, we would get our way; I don't believe that is the case. We are lucky we have what we have (yes, I want more too) but in today's firearm oppressive world, we had better enjoy what we have while we have it.

2 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

Cowboy Carty saves the day!!  I’ll soon have a sear for my Miroku.  So glad to be able to get the rifle back up and running!

Man, Cowboy shooters are the best!

Totes

You should get 2 of those sears 

37 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You should get 2 of those sears 

As hard as Totes is on his gun, he should get a full backup rifle for either him and GV.

Of course, it isn't my money.

I can tell you that even if every part had to be hand/custom made for anything I ever break on one of my Mirokus I still would never rely on a Uberti 73’. I’d go back to a Marlin first. Absolutely love and trust my Miroku 73’s. We are working on new aftermarket parts all the time and what isn’t made yet can be sourced from existing parts available due to some very talented smiths. 

And Winchester does listen, the recent Comp 73 model incorporated some suggestions that came from a couple cowboys who spent some time with lead guy on their rifle line. They are just a bit slow to come to fruition. 

3 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

And Winchester does listen, the recent Comp 73 model incorporated some suggestions that came from a couple cowboys who spent some time with lead guy on their rifle line.

This makes sense as the person I spoke with mentioned a new rifle for Cowboy shooters was in the works.  She didn't have any specifics or details, but sounded promising.  Once the parts issues are solved, the Miroku's will likely be the best of the rifle choices.  They are just built better.

Totes

I've had Uberti 73's in .45  .44-40 and now .357. Never had a part break on any of them in over 20 years even when I was shooting full boat blackpowder loads! Personally I love the Uberti's! That's MHO, with that and a couple bucks I can get a cup of coffee!

2 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

Once the parts issues are solved

I would not hold my breath.  They have been on the market for over ten years and the parts issues have not been resolved.

Archived